Lets Populate Tindale!

tooley1chris

My next big project is the creation of the Southern Reaches town of Tindale.

I was hoping I could get some of you fine folk to share some of your favorite NPCs. People you've created or experienced in games that were maybe a bit more memorable than others. Or get your creative juices flowing and write up something new! Help me populate this town with interesting people. 

Now I know knee -jerk reaction is for nobility/town sorcerer/local hero, and those are fine, but I need fewer of those than merchants, farmers, miscreants, and peasants. 

Characteristics, personality, family (?), desires, dislikes, skills, ect. Try to spell them out a bit without getting too detailed. Just enough for a Chronicler to pick'em up and be inspired to use them in their game or perhaps make them an adventure hook. It doesn't have to be grandiose to be useful. 

The vagrant that stole a farmers daughters family ring can bring as much adventure as the kidnapped princess. :)

I'll of course credit every tidbit you toss me.

I'm really hoping this campaign might also inspire someone to write some adventure scenarios, once it's done, as well. ;)

So...what you got?

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Simple example:

Name:Henry Askins (The Prophet)
STR: 12, DEX: 10, SIZ: 14, CON: 14, INT 7, POW 16, APP: 7

Descriptive features: Henry hasn't bathed in days. He stinks of the streets and perspiration. His hair is unkept and greasy. While his teeth are in good shape, his breath is rather foul.
Skills: Fast Talk 35%, Oratory 40%, Craft (ironsmith) 45%, Hide 35%
Background: Henry made a living as a travelling tinker until he had a apocalyptic vision that changed his life forever. He is unwed and has no family save for a son in Lashingport who is looking for him. 
Current Status: Homeless. Henry was so shaken by his visions that he appealed to religious leaders and even nobility. Everyone took him for a kook and he lost credibility. ..and his career suffered.  He now spends his days trying to convince people on the streets that their prayers are in vain and all the power and sacrifice they give to the gods is actually helping a great white dragon become more powerful. He had a vision that showed him energy being sent up to the heavens to be devoured by The Lord of the Mists, though he doesn't know this dragon is the great duke of the fey. (Or is it?)
Hook: Local temples become irritated by Henrys open blasphemy, or the nobility want to squash the possibility of unrest.
Are Henrys vision REALLY prophetic and the Lord of the Mists is really gaining power from mortal worship of false deities?

Are members of the Fey, deep undercover in the town, aware Henry is giving away a dark secret?

Henrys son is searching for his beloved father (who he'd hardly recognize in his current state). Is there a reward? 

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

I do enjoy writing adventures and am already working on a MW setting (To share and for home or con use). In the mean time however, I present Tegwen The Stabler or Snake Eyes Teg

Name: Tegwen the Stabler (Snake Eyes Teg)

STR: 11 DEX: 13 SIZ: 13 CON: 10 INT: 12 POW: 11 APP: 13

Descriptive Features: Tegwen has long brownish red hair that is tied up in a bun most of the time, a scar under her left eye and her eyes are misshapen, giving them the appearance of being snake like. She dresses in simple riding leathers and boots, is well spoken and mannered on the few occasions she speaks. Tegwen is taller than many of the other young women in town.

Skills: Ride 75%, Nature 47%, Craft (Leather) 48% Bargain: 54% Track 35%

Background: Tegwen came to town about a year ago with a single sack on her shoulder and a wicked looking blade on her hip. She took work at the local stable where she tends mounts and helps the occasional stray or sick cat. Tegwen also trades riding lessons for hides that allows her to make leather for herself and others, selling them to the locals for small amounts of coin. Many suitors come to call on her, but Tegwen rebuffs them all and spends her free time at the local tavern keeping an eye out for travelers from the north. In particular she asks about dwarves more than anything or anyone else.. As such she seems to always have a juicy bit of gossip available for trade.

Hook: A local nobleman takes an interest in Tegwen and is willing to pay to find out about her breeding and lineage. A dwarven merchant from a northern town ends up dead and it was known that Tegwen had been following the man earlier in the day. A horse breeder is coming to town and Tegwen is buying up all the hides she can to turn into leather goods for trade. A dwarven bounty hunter comes to town with a wanted note for a woman matching Tegwen's description. Some local children say they have seen a Unicorn by a local pond and Tegwen has been taking afternoon "rides" out there.

• Like 2

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

Name: Beddler of the Red Masters; Softhands

STR: 11 DEX: 12 SIZ: 11 CON: 15 INT: 13 POW: 17 APP: 10

Descriptive Features: Beddler is short and slight of body, with a whispy voice and effete mannerisms. He always smells slightly of garlic and lavender, but is fastidious with his appearance otherwise. Beddler rarely shows his face, but it is thin with a hawk;s nose and piecing eyes. Short black hair sits atop a smooth scalp. Beddler wears robes and peasant boots, but is never seen without a red collar that he says is locked in place and cannot be removed.

Skills: Potions 93% ; Nature 45%; Scribe 50%; Oratory 52%; (Disguise? 64%?)

Background: Beddler has been a visitor to Tindale for a decade, maybe more. At least five times every year he comes to the town and sells potions to the locals. He also does a fair bit of business as a scribe. Although he has never performed any sorcery, Beddler's reputation as a sorcerer is full of wild adventures, some of which he gladly tells to any passing children or adventurers. His order is known as the Red Masters but no one has ever seen another member of his order. Beddler explains that this is because they are dying out, their teachings lost. People of the town feel better when he is around and the local brothels come alive, often decorating their buildings and parlors in purple and black in hopes of tempting the notorious womanizer to visit. Beddler will often gift love and beauty potions to the women and men who work the brothels and is known as a good tipper. 

Hook: Beddler is coming to town and the competition among the brothels is becoming a bit cutthroat. Melinda Mallyn is paying good coin to guard her garden of purple flowers and Fthon Gille is paying equally well to seem them destroyed. A local girl is very sick with Orc Lung and needs an infusion to be cured. A living orc is needed for the ritual and Beddler knows where a few can be found. A famous bard is coming to Tindale and Beddler has been paid to scribe the man's songs onto scrolls that will "sing" them when opened. For this he needs a special ink that requires bat guano and night blooming roses. He is hiring someone to collect what he needs.

Name: Phalon and Phom Lonesmith; The Twins

STR: 14 DEX: 13 SIZ: 15 CON: 12 INT: 10 POW: 10 APP: 13 (11 Phom)

Descriptive Features: Phalon (pr. fey-lone) and Phom (pr. foam) are tall and well built men in their thirties. Each is bald and clean shaven and does their best to clean up after a hard day's work. Phom has suffered some scarring to his face and is not as attractive as his brother, but both are handsome men. Phalon generally wears his leather apron over a bare chest and Phom wears a heavy leather cote. Both have tattoos of green dragons on their right arms.

Skills: (Phalon /Phom) Craft (Blacksmith) 80%/70%; Craft (Miner) 40%/80%; Bargain 45%/50%; World Lore 43%/38%; Repair/Devise 64%/68%

Background: One day a landowner named Phoron Lonesmith took his wife and daughter to war with him. He left his land and business in the care of the town, planning on coming back. Two years later the only one to return was the daughter, Phaerena and she had two handsome babies with her. Phaerena had her hands full and ran the family black smith, apprenticing the boys when they were old enough. The family home lay outside of town and was mostly neglected. It sits over a small iron deposit that is hard to mine even though it is not deep. Phaerena could never keep miners working there and when one was killed, she had it closed up.

When they were fifteen, the twins went off to find adventure, returning seven yeas later as men. By this time Phaerena, who was always frail, was near dying of some lun malady. Once their mother was gone, the boys used their wealth and vigour to not only keep the family business going, but also the family mine. Over time, with some hired hands as help, the mine has produced enough ore to keep the two brothers accomplished smiths. Neither man has married but both are popular with local ladies and the local children, who the brothers regale with stories of dragons and elves. 

Hook: A gang of brigands is harassing the family home. Phom needs to hire someone to protect his miners for a week or two until the brigands move on. Three of the local orphans have gone missing and the brothers are putting together search teams to find them. An order comes in for a magnificent sword with exotic materials for the hilt. Phom begins to travel to find some of these and needs companions for his trip.

• Like 1

Although none of my offering will populate Tindale, they will I believe create an interesting side trek, when for a few days the local populace get caught up in an orc/elf conflict that gets forced upon them.

Coeden Gwin

STR: 12 CON: 13 SIZ: 9 INT: 19 POW: 17 DEX: 15 APP: 11

Descriptive features: Coeden has sun yellow blonde hair and bright green cat like eyes, that mark him as an elf at a casual glance, even at a distance. He moves with poise and grace not common in a warrior/hunter. His traveling cape is a natural green that somehow adds a +10 bonus to hiding when in a forest.

Occupation Hunter

Skills Bow 78% Climb 86% Track 57% Trap 73% broad sword 61% Nature 60%

Background: After traveling a great distance hunting down a company of orcs, Coeden and his band found themselves in the woods near Tindale. They liked it and decided to stay, at least for a short while. He’s visited Tindale several times to trade fur and skins and has found himself because of his race less than welcome.

Hook: One of the next times he’s in the town a crime is committed and he gets accused of it. He’s called a dirty fey and a Beleghir sympathizer. Unless released unharmed this threatens to bring down the wrath of a dozen hunting elves onto the town and things could get bloody. If not proven innocent and accepted more fully into the town or should Drum soldiers harass him and his men. He and his followers will move on, heading back east. They are not bandits and are a disciplined group but they won’t be pushed around. They may be somewhat condescending to humans.

Coeden and his troop are a little hazy and rather disinterested about the feuding between house Drum and house Beleghir.  They want to catch the last few orcs, rest up and then go home. To them Tindale is just a human settlement where they might trade a bit and maybe get some news.

Edited by Rich Tom
  • Thanks 1

Gwynt Bryn

STR: 13 CON: 11 SIZ: 10 INT: 17 POW: 15 DEX: 18 APP: 13

Descriptive features: Tall for an elf, Gwynt has his cousin Coeden’s sun light yellow blonde hair flowing in a main down his back. His pale green eyes speak of the Lascalan elves and show him to be a long way from home. He wears light hard leathers including a hood.

Skills Bow 79% Move Silently 68% Track 58% Listen 61% 1H Sword 72% Nature 60% Search 66%

Background: He is Coeden’s cousin on his mother’s side. Gwynt adores his older cousin who has been like a brother to him. When their village was raided in an orc attack, Coeden rallied a group of hunters and warriors to hunt the orcs down. It was only natural that Gwynt would want to go. Tindale is far from home and the locals are unfriendly. Gwynt wants to go back to his forest and meadows.

Hook: If unpleasantries happen in Tindale, Gwynt will be the first into the fray.

Edited by Rich Tom

Blodyn Flor Elf

STR: 9 CON: 12 SIZ: 8 INT: 13 POW: 14 DEX: 18 APP: 14

Descriptive features: Small and dainty even for an elf. She could be pretty but her manner and dress simply aren’t.  She wears a brigandine jacket and trousers 1d6AP

Skills: 1H sword, (scimitar) 80%, Med round shield 60% Physik 77% listen 62% Search 47% Sense 42%

Background: Blodyn is feisty and never takes a backward step. She considers most humans to be a bit dim witted. She doesn’t speak the local tongue in Tindale and has no interest in communicating with any of the locals.

Hook: she will inevitably accompany Coeden on a visit to the town at some point and a female elf walking around should cause quite a stir particularly as she doesn’t speak the lingo and will at times talk incessantly to the other elves about this and that.

Bib Rockthrower Orc

STR: 15 CON: 11 SIZ: 9 INT: 12 POW: 10 DEX: 13 APP: 8

Descriptive features: Dirty and with a missing front left K9 tooth

Skills: Conceal item 47% Hide 62% Move quietly 47% Track 35% Scimitar 43% 1H Spear 33% Med shield 43%

Background: Bib was part of a raiding party that attacked a small elven village in the north east Lascalan Forest. The raid, for what it was worth was initially successful, but they’ve been on the run and picked off one by one for over a week now by an elven hunting party. Bib is exhausted and most of his team is dead or missing. There are just two other orcs with him now and despite his junior rank he’s ended up in charge of the other two. It’s his job to get them north and keep them alive. He’s afraid. He can’t surrender to the elves because they’ll kill him. He can’t surrender to the authorities because they’ll hang him from a tree and if he meets a dwarf, he’ll get his head chopped off.

His two followers should take the standard orc statistics as given on page 193 of the core rule book.

Hook: Bib intends to kill some lone traveler and get some clothes and maybe some food. He knows that he’s got to go north but isn’t too bright and can’t calculate where north is. Torturing some directions out of a local farmer sounds like a good idea. Should he enact his plan, it will give credence to Coeden’s story about how he and his party have arrived in Tindale hunting orcs across the leagues that separate Lascalan Forest and Charmenel pass. With the prospect being between orc raiders and a few aloof if polite elves, this could sway a few local inhabitants over to a more positive view of the new elven arrivals.

• Like 1

Taking a quick break from the grind...

Name: Marja Barnowl, Mother Barnowl

STR: 10 DEX: 12 SIZ: 10 CON: 13 INT: 14 POW: 15 APP: 13

Descriptive Features: Marja Barnowl is a small woman, with a loud voice, long white hair, and missing the tip of her left pinky. In place of it she wears a brass thimble or occasionally a brass pick to play her mandolin. Under her normally voluminous clothing she is well toned, pale of skin, but her body has sagged slightly due to age. 

Skills: Physik 87% ; Nature 65%; Insight 50%; Craft (Play Mandolin) 64%

Background: Mother Barnowl is a town fixture, living in a three room house at the edge of town. She says it allows her to get a good view of the sun when it comes up, but many note it also has a great view of the road. Each morning Marja can be seen drinking her strong coffee and eating a buttered piece of bread or biscuit just outside of her own door, looking at the road. She has been in Tindale for two decades but has looked more or less the same all these  years. She claims she left her "bully" of a husband and sought a place to settle down. Marja tends to the babies of the town and has kept all but two alive in her twenty years. She has been equally adept with the mothers, losing only a few to the rigors of child birth. She also gives relationship advice, handing it out equally to men and women alike.

Hook: The local children whisper that Mother Barnowl often goes moonclad near her own pond, a clear and deep piece of water. It teams with fish but no one is allowed to fish in it. One person swears there is a "fish of gold" in the pond. Mother Barnowl goes away to another town for a few days to help a fellow midwife with a difficult birth. On the second day after she has left, three men come to town asking about her, making fun of her, and generally making a minor fuss. 

• Like 1

I use Biowares Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset that comes with the game. Way back when, I used to do area design work for persistent world servers hosting this game so I'm pretty familiar with it. It's a lot easier than most to use and has really pretty results. 

http://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_2_complete

Edit: a wonderful aspect of the software is that when the game was popular a LOT of talented people made additional modifications/ 3D models for the game. There's literally thousands of additional graphics you can download for free from a once thriving community. 

Edited by ChrisTooley

• 3 years later...
On 2/9/2016 at 3:51 AM, Rich Tom said:

Although none of my offering will populate Tindale, they will I believe create an interesting side trek, when for a few days the local populace get caught up in an orc/elf conflict that gets forced upon them.

I love this story but indeed it will mostly take place outside of Tindale. I have another members NPC that will be added to your story as well. I actually can't wait to make this side-trek adventure! 

I'm kinda working on it on the side as I don't really wanna add anymore outside areas to the Tindale book just yet :)

On 2/4/2016 at 11:57 PM, Sean_RDP said:

I do enjoy writing adventures and am already working on a MW setting (To share and for home or con use). In the mean time however, I present Tegwen The Stabler or Snake Eyes Teg

Name: Tegwen the Stabler (Snake Eyes Teg)

image.png.976f29dd9f70ba460a8a7fa93536afc2.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Simlasa said:

Is the town big enough to support a theater, with an attendant troupe of players and hangers on?

I've already made a theatre and troupe of musicians and actors. Can always have a group visiting though 😀

• Like 1