Demon Summoning from Advanced Sorcery

rsanford

On February 7, 2016 at 4:13 PM, smiorgan said:

I must say I much prefer the old Elric! rules for INT-space to the updated MW rules. 

I agree, however if one wanted to compromise they could rule one INT space per 8 POW a demon has.  That's slightly more forgiving.

70/420

On March 10, 2016 at 7:18 AM, tooley1chris said:

Me and the good Mr. Monroe had a conversation about this when Deep Magic came out in Advanced Sorcery. Mages rely on INT to gain new glyphs but how do you raise INT?

A battle of wits, winning strategy games such as chess. Exercising your PCs brain in a library. Not cannon but logical. 

There's a spell that I want to write up for both magic and sorcery, thinking of calling it something like Wizard's Venture or Margery Gambit for magic and something else for sorcery.  It's basically a gambling/gaming spell.  It involves the two wizard parties and (at least) an additional third party as an observer.  The wizards agree to a wager and the third party approves.  They then enter into a wizard's duel that pits INT v INT.  It's kind of like the duel between Karloff and Price in The Raven or Mim and Merlin in Sword In The Stone, only it takes place in the mage's minds and the third parties get to observe.  Wizard games basically.

The sorcery version would be similar, the difference being that I kind of think the wizards bargain 'things/possessions' while the sorcerers bargain obligations.  A sorcerer's duel is more like making a pact with a sorcerer for them to do a specific task for you.

Of course, the real purpose is offering an interesting in game reason for allowing the PCs to raise their INT.  

• Like 1

70/420

Not bad but not sure a spell is necessary. There's plenty of ways to match wits. Trivia contests involving knowledge skills like Lore, Potions, Language, or Nature where the two roll their skills. The winner is allowed a gain roll when experience gain rolls are allowed by Chronicler. Of course your spell contest method might be more colorful and interesting. :)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

2 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Not bad but not sure a spell is necessary. There's plenty of ways to match wits. Trivia contests involving knowledge skills like Lore, Potions, Language, or Nature where the two roll their skills. The winner is allowed a gain roll when experience gain rolls are allowed by Chronicler. Of course your spell contest method might be more colorful and interesting. :)

I agree this isn't really necessary via a spell. Rules could be laid out for "Wizard Duels" or even Wit/Intellect "Duels" but a spell or power/ability isn't the way I'd personally do it.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

It comes in part from wanting wizards to be able to participate in challenges against each other that occur in fiction.  To do Mim and Merlin your casters would have to be throwing around a bunch of shape changing spells, which is unlikely.  To do Price and Karloff they would have to have a bunch of conjuring spells, also unlikely.  This sticks particularly because those two contests are really contests of wit, not really power.  Wrapping it all up in a ritual game hand waves that whole bit and allows it to happen.  Plus, it has built in stakes so that INT check is earned.

I do agree that there are other ways. I'll add simple INT stat training in.  I believe there are rules for it in the Elric! rulebook but I'd have to check.

70/420

I get your point but from what was originally suggested having a generic spell to do that with wouldn't solve the issue. In my view it would cause others and not allow for some good roleplaying.

I'm almost tempted to make some rules for it, but have my hands full with the Tome of Horrors project.

Edited by auyl
Spelling errors

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!