New RQ - Designer Notes Part One

MOB

Ah.

I was working on a BRP variant where I got rid of base chances and modified the skill categories to be the base chances. For instance, the base score for Knowledge skills was 2xINT%. Manipulation/Attack skills were something like INT+DEX+STR/2%. I used a HARD/Easy skill grading to adjust the percentage a bit as needed. So, if a character picked up any weapon his base chance was INT+DEX+STR/2%. Half that for a hard skill (maybe greatsword) and twice that for an easy skill (maybe dagger). 

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Hey that sounds pretty much like something I would like to see in the next RQ edition.

It certainly addresses my gripes regarding the role of Characteristics in play, yet the skills are organised under Skill Categories, which is a good thing. It also gives untrained skills a reasonable chance to work from (although I would apply modifiers depending upon the skill or situation). 

I'm not sure If the base chances would start a bit too high however, but that could be tweaked.

However I'm pretty much on the same page with you here Atgxtg regarding the impact of Characteristics on the Skill Categories :)

Edited by Mankcam
grammatical error correction

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 2/11/2016 at 10:57 PM, Rhialto the Marvellous said:

Thank goodness...not to dump on another hoary game, but just look at the great misfortune that was/is T5: a great brick of a book that is the antithesis of this, and should be an object lesson in what not to do to try and attract a new audience.

Yeah, the contrast between T5 and Mongoose Traveller (which as I understand it were developed in parallel, though Mongoose managed to get their version out well in advance of T5) is... well, it's pretty drastic, to say the least.

T5 does seem to have its advocates and there's an active fan project to re-edit it to produce something a bit less clunky, but it's telling that I've never spoken to anyone who was big into T5 who wasn't already a big Traveller fan through being introduced through some other edition, whereas Mongoose Traveller seems to have been many people's introduction to the game.

46 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

I'm not sure If the base chances would start a bit too high however, but that could be tweaked.

The typical skill in RQ had something like a 20% base chance plus modifiers. Typical weapon skills were at around 25%. So INT+DEX+STR/2 for an average character would be in the 25-30% range. Of course if you wanted lower starting scores average INT and DEX. it was nice to be able to replace replace most of the skills in the stat block with 6 or 7 category skill scores.  

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

3 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

The typical skill in RQ had something like a 20% base chance plus modifiers. Typical weapon skills were at around 25%. So INT+DEX+STR/2 for an average character would be in the 25-30% range. Of course if you wanted lower starting scores average INT and DEX. it was nice to be able to replace replace most of the skills in the stat block with 6 or 7 category skill scores.  

Yes I think replacing skill base chances with Skill Category bonuses is logical and a step forward

I didn't spend much time on the maths when I posted, and after thinking about it, I was just about to amend that bit of my entry.

You beat me to the punch - what do they say now ... Snap!!!

lol

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

10 hours ago, Warthur said:

Yeah, the contrast between T5 and Mongoose Traveller (which as I understand it were developed in parallel, though Mongoose managed to get their version out well in advance of T5) is... well, it's pretty drastic, to say the least.

T5 does seem to have its advocates and there's an active fan project to re-edit it to produce something a bit less clunky, but it's telling that I've never spoken to anyone who was big into T5 who wasn't already a big Traveller fan through being introduced through some other edition, whereas Mongoose Traveller seems to have been many people's introduction to the game.

The contrast is so drastic because of the drastically different design goals: MgT is meant to be more along the lines of what we've heard so far about newRQ (broad, introductory appeal), and T5 is meant to reflect the designer's vision for his preferred game. It just so happens that vision doesn't appear to have a broad appeal.

• Like 1
"This is preposterous! Must we welcome each scoundrel of time into our midst, to satiate himself on our good things, meanwhile perverting our customs?"
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Yeah, I would say that if you are what the Traveller fandom refers to as a "gearhead" - someone who loves tinkering about with the construction systems - T5 is an absolute boon because it essentially provides tools for constructing absolutely everything.

On the other hand, I'm really glad that Mongoose did an edition of Traveller which didn't focus too much on catering to gearheads, because I think several editions of the game chased down that particular cul-de-sac and whilst that was great for the gearheads it did help sideline the game and paint it into a corner.