RuneQuest 6 vs BRP for Base System

Archivist

What do you use for your Base Rules (if you hack)  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What D100 system do you use for your base rules if you hack your own generic system?

• Basic Roleplaying (BGB)
    • RuneQuest 6
    • Open Quest
    • Renaissance D100
    • Something Else (add in comments)

I used the OQ SRD as a base but seriously hacked it and built my own lean-rules booklet.

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

On 2/9/2019 at 12:23 AM, SDLeary said:

This, though this can be assembled from the BGB for the most part.

SDLeary

Much easier and faster with RQIII, that already has all the crunch, the deadly, the gritty we wanted. Just adapt the skill lists, chase rules coming from James Bond 007 (Hello M Klug) and non combat damage from Hero/Champions and we got a Mad Max campaign. By adding psi powers (=Lunar Spirit magic for rules), we add a SF campaign in the Alien universe.

6 hours ago, Kloster said:

No. From memory, some options are not compatible (the way parries are done, the impulse system among other things).

The Strike Rank system is included in the BGB as an option. Parries are as Stormbringer 5e, with multiples allowed at cumulative –30% (easy to house rule).

SDLeary

1 hour ago, SDLeary said:

The Strike Rank system is included in the BGB as an option. Parries are as Stormbringer 5e, with multiples allowed at cumulative –30% (easy to house rule).

SDLeary

Yes, but if my memory is correct (I don't have access to my BGB copy now), the strike rank used is the RQ2 one, not the RQIII impulse system (which is VERY important: this is what avoided the LONG attack/parry rounds, waiting for a critical with high skill scores, in addition to allow precise movement interwoven with physical and psy/magical actions). And the parry system imported from Stormbringer is not only the multiple parry (-30% per parry, easy to lift), but more the f... combat result table. If I add the percentile, formula based (not table based, with ceiling effect) skill category bonuses, the logical SIZe table, the easy to customize preliminary experience system, RQIII is faster (for us) and easier (also for us).

3 hours ago, Kloster said:

Yes, but if my memory is correct (I don't have access to my BGB copy now), the strike rank used is the RQ2 one, not the RQIII impulse system (which is VERY important: this is what avoided the LONG attack/parry rounds, waiting for a critical with high skill scores, in addition to allow precise movement interwoven with physical and psy/magical actions). And the parry system imported from Stormbringer is not only the multiple parry (-30% per parry, easy to lift), but more the f... combat result table. If I add the percentile, formula based (not table based, with ceiling effect) skill category bonuses, the logical SIZe table, the easy to customize preliminary experience system, RQIII is faster (for us) and easier (also for us).

No, its the RQ3 one. 10 ranks, ranks run over to the next round if you add up to more than 10, etc. Its in the 4 page Option spread on pp.198-201. This box also talks about splitting attack and parry into separate skills.

SDLeary

8 hours ago, SDLeary said:

No, its the RQ3 one. 10 ranks, ranks run over to the next round if you add up to more than 10, etc. Its in the 4 page Option spread on pp.198-201. This box also talks about splitting attack and parry into separate skills.

SDLeary

My bad memory. In that case, it is simply easier and faster with RQ, but feasible with BGB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RosenMcStern said:

In my experience, switching from RQ3 to the BGB we found that everything became simpler. But we also ditched SR in favour of DEX ranks, while keeping locations and using the RQ3 Gloranthan magic.

In fact, I agree with you, BGB is simpler That's why we stayed on RQ. We were using every tactical opportunities given by the impulse strike ranks: Changing opponents, interwoving movements and attacks, opportunity fire, maneuvers, striking weapons, trying to disarm,... This is because we wanted those crunchy settings that it was faster and easier to start from RQ than from BGB when we wanted the Mad Max, then the Alien(s) games.

RQ2 and RQ3 Strike ranks are very similar, except that RQ3 has 10 SRs per round.

Ringworld has an Impulse system, apparently, but RQ3 doesn't.

In any case, I'd just use whichever Strike Rank system you prefer and adapt as you go on.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

RQ2 and RQ3 Strike ranks are very similar, except that RQ3 has 10 SRs per round.

Ringworld has an Impulse system, apparently, but RQ3 doesn't.

In any case, I'd just use whichever Strike Rank system you prefer and adapt as you go on.

RQIII was, I think, a quasi impulse system: Movements and actions are simultaneous, you could interrupt and have an opportunity action, mix physical and magical. In fact, contrary to other BRP games, each SR was 1/10th of a round. That's why I spoke of impulse, even if I know Ringworld is the only one to have it proper, with it's rolling rounds.

I have used the original BRP booklet rather than the BGB for many homebrew games...

it is a long time ago but I remember hacking BRP booklet and Traveller to produce a % based game for sci fi adventure.

When WoW came along I added that to the mix, along with Ringworld.

Edited by Sigtrygg

I have picked and chosen from many D100 systems.  I used BRP for a Steampunk game and then simplified it all by using OQ2.  Ive done a modern zombie hack using BRP and OQ2.  I re imagined my Steampunk to run an airship trading based campaign using elements from Pirates and Dragons.  After running a Laundry campaign I have adapted that for other 'modern' eras including a 'Sons of Anarchy' crime caper and am currently using them for A Very British Civil War themed campaign that will very soon morph into a pulp-ish weird science, Indiana Jones affair.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 10:18 AM, Kloster said:

RQIII was, I think, a quasi impulse system: Movements and actions are simultaneous, you could interrupt and have an opportunity action, mix physical and magical. In fact, contrary to other BRP games, each SR was 1/10th of a round. That's why I spoke of impulse, even if I know Ringworld is the only one to have it proper, with it's rolling rounds.

Yes, whereas RQ2 SRs were mostly for determining who attacked first, in RQ3 there was a stronger correlation for overall sequencing of actions. You know where every character was at any SR, and movement was integrated with spellcasting and melee. Characters could even change actions in response to what happened during the round, which you couldn't do in RQ2. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

3 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Yes, whereas RQ2 SRs were mostly for determining who attacked first, in RQ3 there was a stronger correlation for overall sequencing of actions. You know where every character was at any SR, and movement was integrated with spellcasting and melee. Characters could even change actions in response to what happened during the round, which you couldn't do in RQ2. 

Yes, this why I called RQIII a quasi impulse system. This is something we liked (probably because a lot of us are also wargame players).

2 hours ago, Kloster said:

Yes, this why I called RQIII a quasi impulse system. This is something we liked (probably because a lot of us are also wargame players).

I certainly liked it. It was one of the few systems where a guy with a ready bow could shoot at someone 30 feet away before getting attacked in melee.  In most games the guy with initiative/higher DEX gets to act first.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 2:22 PM, Atgxtg said:

I certainly liked it. It was one of the few systems where a guy with a ready bow could shoot at someone 30 feet away before getting attacked in melee.  In most games the guy with initiative/higher DEX gets to act first.

That is one of those situations where common sense should take over though. Anyone with a ranged attack should attack first if outside of 21 feet.

I've been using a tweaked version of River of Heaven, which is based on OpenQuest.  I like to start with a simple base and add on some complexity as I feel it's needed.  My focus with this is mostly for one-shot and convention games, where no one has to worry about mastering a new rule system. 

For a regular group campaign, I might go with with something more complex, but probably only if a lot of granular combat was needed to match the tone of the setting. 

Edited by ORtrail

33 minutes ago, RogerDee said:

That is one of those situations where common sense should take over though. Anyone with a ranged attack should attack first if outside of 21 feet.

Yes it should, unless your shooting at the Flash. That's not how most RPGs, or how most GMs running such game handle it. In most RPGs a character with the in titiave gets to act first and can charge up and hack somebody before the other can release the bowstring or pull the trigger. Nor do most games even mention such n option. Some games do have a held action rule, but that essentially means not shooting when a character could have in order to be able to act later.

There are really only a handful of RPGs where a missile attack gets to go off first. Most just go strictly by Initiative/DEX order. RQ's Strike Rank system is one of the few methods that allows for that.