RuneQuest 6 vs BRP for Base System

Archivist

What do you use for your Base Rules (if you hack)  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What D100 system do you use for your base rules if you hack your own generic system?

• Basic Roleplaying (BGB)
    • RuneQuest 6
    • Open Quest
    • Renaissance D100
    • Something Else (add in comments)

I guess it highly depends on what you are trying to hack. If it is not a fantasy game then the best options in the family are probably Mythras, BGB and Revolution d100.

If it is a fantasy game, then the best options are Mythras and RuneQuest 3.

For the purpose of the poll and the options given, I have choosen RQ6

By the way, I would participate in a kickstarter for a re edition of RQ3.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

I would for RQ3 and all the Gloranthan supplements, like Classic RuneQuest Phase 2.

However, I wouldn't just for the RQ3 Rulebook.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

16 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

I guess it highly depends on what you are trying to hack. If it is not a fantasy game then the best options in the family are probably Mythras, BGB and Revolution d100.

If it is a fantasy game, then the best options are Mythras and RuneQuest 3.

For the purpose of the poll and the options given, I have choosen RQ6

"I would participate in a kickstarter for a re-edition of RQ3."  

WAIT!?  Do you mean an actual REPRINT of the Avalon Hill game or a "reimagining" of RQ3 by Chaosium?  If it's a literal reprint of Avalon Hill's work I'd probably decline.  Aside from the confusion in some of the rules in the base edition, there was artwork in the AH editions that once viewed, one simply cannot "unsee."  The Dwarf, Troll, and Elf in the Elder Races book come to mind immediately.  IF Chaosium did a re-edited version, I might bite.  

26 minutes ago, olskool said:

WAIT!?  Do you mean an actual REPRINT of the Avalon Hill game or a "reimagining" of RQ3 by Chaosium?  If it's a literal reprint of Avalon Hill's work I'd probably decline.  Aside from the confusion in some of the rules in the base edition, there was artwork in the AH editions that once viewed, one simply cannot "unsee."  The Dwarf, Troll, and Elf in the Elder Races book come to mind immediately.  IF Chaosium did a re-edited version, I might bite.  

Chaosium has previously stated that they saw a RQ3 version of the "RQ2 --> RQClassic" Kickstarter as a possible project.  That KS saw the incorporation of all known RQ2 errata & such, though AFAIK no "revision" or alteration of any rules.  It included some useful/interesting early-Chaosium "clarifications" & "commentary" & so forth, as published in columns, Back In The Day.

I don't know that they STILL see that RQ3 project as an option, nor whether the project would be run via KS or some other way.

C'es ne pas un .sig

I could definitely back a RQ3 with errata, clarifications.. The magic item and summoning rules well explained.. ( write out how to create skeletons for example)... But for art.. I would love them to use the British version from GW.. As base but let one or two artist do their take on the original art.. Someone how is really good..

For me its wierd I have all this other great games but i keep coming back to rq3 all the time..

Summoning spirits just is a consept that is so cool.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, muminalver said:

... The magic item and summoning rules well explained.. ( write out how to create skeletons for example)...

This would be a different thing than what they did for RQ2.  Re-doing magic item rules, summoning rules, is a much bigger change than RQClassic got.

I'm not saying they "can't" or "won't" do this, just that you're describing something different from "RQ2's 'RQClassic' treatment, but applied to RQ3."

C'es ne pas un .sig

21 hours ago, olskool said:

I would prefer a "reimagining" of RQ3 but I'm sure I will not got it because it would be too expensive to do. That's why yes, I would participate in a kickstarter for a re-edition of RQ3. This is better than nothing, my Avalon Hill print is in a bad shape (too much use) and my french printings are in a slightly better shape. In addition, that would be a searchable PDF.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2019 at 1:24 PM, Kloster said:

I would prefer a "reimagining" of RQ3 but I'm sure I will not got it because it would be too expensive to do. That's why yes, I would participate in a kickstarter for a re-edition of RQ3. This is better than nothing, my Avalon Hill print is in a bad shape (too much use) and my french printings are in a slightly better shape. In addition, that would be a searchable PDF.

I'd definitely back a Chaosium reprint.   I wonder how much SAN we lost looking at AH's artwork though?💀

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2019 at 2:19 PM, olskool said:

there was artwork in the AH editions that once viewed, one simply cannot "unsee."  The Dwarf, Troll, and Elf in the Elder Races book come to mind immediately.  IF Chaosium did a re-edited version, I might bite.  

Not so, the smaller side of a melon baller a black and  decker drill and Doctor Google can be used to excise the correct part of the brain to remove the offending memories. 

Don't try this at home, may cause addiction to 70's sitcoms,  sleeplessness, sleepiness, addiction to Fox News shows, belief that Fox has news shows...

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!