New Sandy Petersen CoC scenario for Free RPG Day

MOB

daddystabz - 

All that type of information is available on the Cult of Chaos forum. 

Including release schedules and a host of helpful topic discussions and game aids. 

The information is intentionally separate from this, the general open forum in order to avoid spoiling anything for players.

:)

Just a reminder that Free RPG Day is coming up this Saturday!

Chaosium's contribution is The Derelict, a never-before published scenario by Sandy Petersen and Mike Mason.

The Free RPG Day website has store locator, where you can find participating stores: http://www.freerpgday.com/stores.htm

If you can't get to a store on Free RPG Day, or all the copies of The Derelict are gone by the time you do, we're offering all Cult of Chaos members a free PDF on July 1st. If you want to take advantage of this offer, simply sign up for the Cult of Chaos: http://www.chaosium.com/join-the-cult-of-chaos

We're also giving away free physical copies of The Derelict to everyone who GMs a Call of Cthulhu game at Gen Con. Contact Todd for more details: todd@chaosium.com

10433090_10154052754173336_7885146729255504332_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/13/2016 at 2:27 AM, theWoozle said:

Picked-up my Keeper's copy of DERELICT. GREAT One-shot. Perfect for a two-hour time-slot. Oddly though, no pregen characters included. Is there a good source for half-a-dozen modern pregens? 

edit: found the GM resources page, with some pregens: http://www.chaosium.com/gm-resources/

And Call of Cthulhu fan Ron McClung has created some pre gen characters specially for The Derelict - download them here: http://seawolfsden.net/the-derelict-pre-gen-characters-free-rpg-day-2016

Edited by MOB

Due to a strange temporal distortion, it's already Free RPG Day here on the other side of the world and I went down to my local FLGS to see what was happening - plenty of Call of Cthulhu action going on...

20160618_112156.jpg 20160618_111655.jpg

I got a copy of The Derelict on my second try this morning; there didn't seem to be a lot of copies of it in the Boston area, at least.

The first store I went to, Pandemonium Books and Games in Cambridge, opened at 10:00 AM, but when I got there at 9:55 AM the door was already open and a queue of six or so customers had formed at the counter. Pandemonium only received two copies of The Derelict in their Free RPG Day shipment, and both were snagged by people ahead of me (the second one by the person right in front of me, damnit).

I made good time across the river to Allston (Boston), and arrived at The Compleat Strategist on Commonwealth Avenue just a few minutes before it opened at 10:30 AM. They only received a single copy of The Derelict, and there was one gentleman ahead of me in the queue... but thankfully, he wasn't a horror fan, so I was able to snag it for myself (and then do some shopping for Osprey books while I was there).

It's my first time going to a store for Free RPG Day, so I'm not sure whether this is usual or not; I'd (possibly naïvely) expected there to be a larger number of copies of the free releases to allow for people coming into the store all day, but that didn't seem to be the case for many items (not just The Derelict).

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

I was a little surprised there wasn't more copies, but it does cost the company money to get that printed and be a part of it.  Given the financial situation after the Kickstarter, I probably shouldn't be surprised.  However, since I volunteered to run it, I didn't have to worry about getting my copy. :)

Glad you found one!  Its a fun scenario!

While we are very happy that we could provide some copies of the Derelict for free RPG day, Chaosium is on a tight budget. We don't have thousands of dollars to spend on this, even though we know thousands of people would like a free printed copy.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

20 hours ago, Bronn1 said:

I was a little surprised there wasn't more copies, but it does cost the company money to get that printed and be a part of it.  

As I mentioned above, if you missed out on a copy, we're offering all Cult of Chaos members a free PDF on July 1st. 

• Like 3