Classic Fantasy Preview

lawrence.whitaker

This is a special sneak peak at the highly anticipated RuneQuest 6 and Mythras supplement, Classic Fantasy. With this book (to be released in April or May), fans of d100 roleplaying systems have all the tools they need to undertake Old School dungeon and wilderness crawls, with all the classes, spells, magic items and monsters found in one of the most venerable and fondly remembered game systems in the hobby.

This 18 page preview gives a sample of the new rules, spells and monsters Classic Fantasy contains. It also introduces Mythras - the new name for RuneQuest 6th Edition, and we hope you enjoy this sample of what is to come!

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/175004/Classic-Fantasy-Preview?src=slider_view

• Like 5

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

The interior layout looks good. I note the Class list doesn't appear to include the Illusionist anymore, while there are two types of Bard. Is this the case?

Also, this preview appears to have been out for a day or so without me noticing. Hint: Put it on the front web page.  Finally, will you still be using this cover for the full release?:

5627f29188825_Classic_Fantasy_Cover_Larg

Edited by TrippyHippy

1 hour ago, TrippyHippy said:

The interior layout looks good. I note the Class list doesn't appear to include the Illusionist anymore, while there are two types of Bard. Is this the case?

Also, this preview appears to have been out for a day or so without me noticing. Hint: Put it on the front web page.  Finally, will you still be using this cover for the full release?:

5627f29188825_Classic_Fantasy_Cover_Larg

Correct with regards to the illusionist. I now include the different schools of magic, in which an illusionist simply concentrates on that school.

As far as the bard goes, I decided I would have two different types of bard, those of a more druidic bent like the Celtic skalds, and their more civilized arcane counterparts educated at one of the prominent bardic collages. They are still a single class, just using different options. The druidic bard is based on the first OD&D appearance of the bard in Dragon Magazine, while the civilized version is a conversion of the one from the 2nd edition Players Handbook.

Yes, the pictured cover is still a go.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix
  • Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

28 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

History guy must resist!!! ;)

SDLeary

Oh, don't misunderstand. I'm not really up on my history like the majority on these forums. I use the term skalds simply for descriptive purposes. The only historic publications I broke out to write them up was my vintage Dragon Magazine collection. :D

Rod

• Like 2

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

I think changing increased hit points for luck points was sheer genius on every level.  When one reads "that other games" excuse, I mean, explanation for what increased hit points represents, one realizes that Luck Points are exactly what they're talking about.  It's the perfect conversion.

As an aside, I started playing RQ in the early 80's.  I had a bunch of friends that played Stormbringer.  They wanted to play "that other game" as well.  We played Dragon Lance and Temple of elemental evil.  I hated it.  I managed to get most of my friends to fall in love with RQ and never look back.  My best friend, however, never really got into it.  We got separated for about 15 years and he came back into my life again a couple of years ago.  I got him into a RQ campaign.  Yesterday, I told him about Classic Fantasy.  He wants to play DL and TOEE with RQ characters.

I told him: "Your journey to the dark side is complete."

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Kell Valar said:

Love it, great layout. 

I have one critique: The font settings for tables are a little bit hard to read. Increasing the size by a small bit or making it BOLD shout fix that easily. 

Thanks Kell.

I know the sample is a low res version to keep the SIZ down. Hopefully it will be easier to read in the final version. I'll have a better idea when I see them.

Rod

• Like 1