Damage Rules in Renaissance

jagerfury

Pg 56, under Hit Points, which is under the Damage section:

Hit Points at minus starting level or below: Character must make a Resilience roll each round or die. (I'm actually now not sure if this means below 0 or a negative number equal to maximum hit points.)

Character takes double starting Hit Points in one blow: Automatic death.

Hope it helped answer your question.

EDIT: This is from the Renaissance Deluxe core book, upon which Clockwork & Chivalry 2nd Edition is based from. You can get a free version of Renaissance from... er... online. The page number will probably differ, but it'll be there.

Edited by Lord Sephleon
Forgot to mention source

32 minutes ago, Lord Sephleon said:

(I'm actually now not sure if this means below 0 or a negative number equal to maximum hit points.)

See, that is kind of important. This is where I am having trouble with the damage rules. It has all the details you need to know about the effects of Major Wounds, but nothing on receiving wounds which do not trigger a Major Wound. Positive, negative, zero... 

What happens to a PC at -2 HP's and they didn't get there via a Major Wound?

The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

1 minute ago, Lord Sephleon said:

I would say make it so that reaching even –1 hit point requires a Resilience roll each round or something. Let me check my house rules and see what I ultimately decided... 

I can adjudicate and house rule with the best of them. I am looking for an official ruling. Is it in the text or not? I don't believe it is. I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong.

The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

Well, taken verbatim, minus starting level would mean negative number equal to max hit points. But that effectively doubles hit points before any chance of death via hit point loss. Then again, the Major Wounds are nasty enough to one-shot someone, so... there's that.

My house rules also include clarifications for such rulings as this in order to avoid debates during the session. I got in the habit of doing that with any new system I run since my group plays so rarely and that time is too valuable to spend arguing over rules.

Also, I redesigned the Major Wounds tables so that the deadlier effects require higher skill levels to perform. If you want, I can share that with you, though it seems you're running the game RAW, which is fine. My group just doesn't like the randomness of the table, so I did the work to make it more skill-based.