Opposite of plant

Al.

So I'm cobbling together my go at 'newRQ2' for a game this Sunday (as someone here said we want quality not deadline, we can all cobble together our house rules anyway)

I reckon I've got workable opposing pairs of Runes/Traits for most of the key ones

But what about Plant? What Rune is opposite to that?

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Most runes don't have a single opposite - plant is one of the form runes. Placing beast as opposite of the man rune in the personality traits may have created the impression that there was a dualism in the forms, but that is no more true than relations between the elements.

For most humans, plant has little relevance as a personal rune, and most plant magic is subsumed into the Fertility/Life rune.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Yeah, the Form Runes don't have opposites, nor do the elemental runes.

Only the Power Runes have opposites and they are naturally arranged in pairs.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The Guide provides a hexagonal relationship map for the form runes (p.148) which provides unspecified relationships between the six runes on the scheme (clockwise, from the top: Man, Plant, Chaos, Dragonewt, Spirit, Beast). The two internal triangles suggest (to me, at least) that this is a projection of an octahedron with the six form runes on its corners. (Or alternatively a cube with the six form runes on its sides.)

Discussing the nature and arrangement of these connections/positions probably fills centuries of Wizard and God Learner research papers.

• Like 1

All good replies, thanks chaps

I'm doing it different to the official one 

Was aware that Power Runes form a nice set of dualistic traits but that Form (into which I'd folded Element) don't. But I'd written (scribbled!) myself into a corner over my Rune Magic Runepower rules. Best to pull back and try another approach

Thanks all

Al

• 2 weeks later...

So anyway I flip-flopped, returned to my original (using the word in its loosest possible sense since I've derived the lot from other people's work) and went for Darkness opposing Plant

MGDV

• Like 1

On 2/23/2016 at 1:37 PM, Al. said:

So I'm cobbling together my go at 'newRQ2' for a game this Sunday (as someone here said we want quality not deadline, we can all cobble together our house rules anyway)

I reckon I've got workable opposing pairs of Runes/Traits for most of the key ones

But what about Plant? What Rune is opposite to that?

Al

Page?

• Like 1

That creates difficulties with darkness as opposite. After all if you are mixing Plant with Page, you get Darkness metal... or was it rock?

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1

Another potential problem; reckon Lemmy would have described bloated-indulgent-era Zeppelin* and Darkness both as novelty acts. So there would be no opposition

* be clear I say that as a man who genuinely owes his existence to Zeppelin, but Octopuses and groupies? Nah mush

• Like 1