New RQ Designer Notes - Part 4

MOB

IIRC in the current version of RQG Discorporation is still a common rune magic, so a humakti could discorporate using his death rune and then use his death rune to augment his spirit combat to kill it.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

24 minutes ago, David Scott said:

IIRC in the current version of RQG Discorporation is still a common rune magic, so a humakti could discorporate using his death rune and then use his death rune to augment his spirit combat to kill it.

but can spirits be killed? They lack physical properties and as RQ2 states, 'the separation of spirit from the body is known as death', I'd be inclined to rule that a huamkti's impact on the spirit plane is no greater than any others and that the death rune is fine to send spirits to the spirit plane but once there they are under the Spirit Rune...

1 hour ago, Psullie said:

that the death rune is fine to send spirits to the spirit plane but once there they are under the Spirit Rune...

I agree that overall Humakt has no more power in the Spirit World than others.  

But the Underworld is also part of the Spirit World, so I'd say if a Humakti "killed" a given spirit, it could be forced by the power of Death to follow the path to the Underworld and meet its fate. 

3 hours ago, Zit said:

but only spirits can initiate spirit combat.

But remember that a spirit that has possessed a body is no longer Discorporate.  They could use magic such as Second Sight or Soul Sight to see the possessing spirit.  And then hit it with a Sever Spirit spell.  

14 hours ago, jajagappa said:

But remember that a spirit that has possessed a body is no longer Discorporate.  They could use magic such as Second Sight or Soul Sight to see the possessing spirit.  And then hit it with a Sever Spirit spell.  

Exactly, by possessing/attaching itself to a body the Spirit becomes vulnerable to being separated from that body by the aptly named "Sever Spirit" and, as noted above, that is how Death is defined in Glorantha. At least that is how it logically seems to be how it work work, to me. At least I could see it working that way. 

Now the interesting thing would be just where a severed Spirit would go. For living characters we have all that cult affiliation stuff to rely on but where does a disease spirit go? Does it go back to the spirit plane, or could it hang around and try to "repossess" (sorry couldn't help the pun) the victim? Perhaps that is why they use Spirit Combat to reduce the Spirits MPs? 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

9 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

but where does a disease spirit go?

Probably wherever you would find Mallia in the Spirit World. Probably known to shamans as something like the Festering Vortex, the Angry Pox, the Cosmic Cancer, ...

Or alternately, that may be where those who are driven to 0 MP go.  The use of Sever Spirit or other Death magic might drive them into Hell altogether.  Whether Mallia can retrieve them there may be unknown.  Perhaps they go to feed the Hungry Eater.