Looking for Weapons, Equipment and Skills for a BRP Sci-Fi setting

nudnic

I'd like to start up a far future BRP campaign. I need to find some source material for weapons, equipment and skills. Is there a resource for this on the web somewhere?

Will this be included in BRP when it comes out at the end of the month? Or will I have to wait for someone to make up a supplement?

Let's try this again, good thing it remembered my post when I hit the back button.

After determining min/average/max values of one game system then comparing the same amounts from any other game system, you can also do pretty close conversions of equipment. Or you could also do the same thing with just using the averages. So if you wanted to convert a Traveler Fusion Gun Man Portable (FGMP) you could do so by determining the amount of damage it does, the amount of hit points the average Traveler character has then you should be able to extrapolate to a suitable amount for BRP.

If you don't own a particular rule system, you might be able to find enough info about it on the web. But once you've got a set of values to compare, you can convert the equipment over. Then you can do a little play testing to insure that the conversion is not broken.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I'd like to start up a far future BRP campaign. I need to find some source material for weapons, equipment and skills. Is there a resource for this on the web somewhere?

Jason's mentioned the new BRP itself and Cthulhu Rising, so I'll name check a few other possible resources:

The files section of this yahoo group: brpsystem contains several files you might find useful - the RQIII Technical Expansion (fan conversion to RQIII of GDW's T2K, 2300AD & MegaTraveller weapons and tech), Striker Weapons for BRP, and a few others.

If you can track it down, one of the volumes of the Worlds of Wonder set is Future*World, an SF BRP game. Also worth looking for, but potentially pricey are FGU's Other Suns, Chaosium's RingWorld (painfully expensive unfortunately) or Other Worlds Games Worlds Beyond.

Cheers,

Nick

There's some sample future gear in the BRP book, but if you'd like a more detailed treatment of things, I'd suggest checking out Cthulhu Rising in either monograph or the online .pdf form (if still available).

Question: Will BRP contain more or less futuristic gear than a) Ringworld and B) FutureWorld. :(

If the answer is less then perhaps I ought to get my arse into gear and finish my 'Rongwild' monograph and post it here.

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Question: Will BRP contain more or less futuristic gear than a) Ringworld and B) FutureWorld.

Less than FutureWorld and much less than Ringworld. :(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Will this be included in BRP when it comes out at the end of the month? Or will I have to wait for someone to make up a supplement?

What you really need are scans of the equipment lists from Worlds of Winder, Ringworld and Other Suns.

PM me.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Chiming in late, but if you want whole books worth of gear, you could take a look at GURPS Ultra-Tech and Bio-Tech (preferably 4th edition, but the earlier editions are $9 or less these days).

GURPS uses only D6 for damage, and states muscle-powered weapons in terms of "thrust" or "swing" damage plus a modifier (rather than BRP's base damage plus Damage Bonus). However, the average GURPS character has 10-12 hp, so the ranges are about right. You'd probably need to do some skill conversion as well.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

I didn't say Sci-Fi, I said Sci-Fi equipment. It, Bio-Tech, sounded more like character enhancement modification rather than standard equipment, the kind that you would pick up and carry around. I'm sure it's full of useful stuff.

I didn't say Sci-Fi, I said Sci-Fi equipment. It, Bio-Tech, sounded more like character enhancement modification rather than standard equipment, the kind that you would pick up and carry around. I'm sure it's full of useful stuff.

Sorry for being snarky earlier. While I've only leafed through Bio-Tech so far, I believe it also contains medical equipment, superdrugs, and the like. Probably not as much portable gear as Ultra-Tech, but it might be worth a look.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

If you're using cartridge based weapons then also of use is the Delta Green Core book or the old Cthulhu Modern book. The DG book gives damages based on ammunition type (at least I hope they didn't remove the BRP stats from the latest edition). Using those, and something like a copy of Guns, Guns, Guns from BTRC, or the appropriate GURPS books should allow you to fairly easily put together rough damage estimates from other sources.

Hopefully someone does a good weapons and equipment supplement for BRP. Personally I'd like to see such books for Pulp, Modern, and Sci-Fi.

Zane

Sorry for being snarky earlier. While I've only leafed through Bio-Tech so far, I believe it also contains medical equipment, superdrugs, and the like. Probably not as much portable gear as Ultra-Tech, but it might be worth a look.

No worries Frank. I'm sure it's got stuff in it, I'll have to read it at some point.

Funny thing is, my name is Mitchell also.

If you're using cartridge based weapons then also of use is the Delta Green Core book or the old Cthulhu Modern book.

Is it published by Chaosium? I've been looking for it, but can't see that it's in their catalogue.

Thanks for PM, Simon. I would have replied to you in PM, but I don't have enough posts to send a PM yet.

Blame the Buddisth PM spammer! You're only two posts away from the limit though! ;)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Is it published by Chaosium? I've been looking for it, but can't see that it's in their catalogue.

Which "Delta Green" (Pagan Publishing) or "Cthulhu Modern"? By "Cthulhu Modern" I meant " 1990's Handbook" which was published by Chaosium in '95. I was lucky enough to get a copy used recently, and spent way to much. Not just on that book either, as I chanced across a whole pile of old Chaosium & 3rd party supplements and spent a small fortune. :(

Which "Delta Green" (Pagan Publishing) or "Cthulhu Modern"? By "Cthulhu Modern" I meant " 1990's Handbook" which was published by Chaosium in '95. I was lucky enough to get a copy used recently, and spent way to much. Not just on that book either, as I chanced across a whole pile of old Chaosium & 3rd party supplements and spent a small fortune. :(

Here's a couple I found on Rpgnow.com

RPGNow.com - Chaosium - Cthulhu Now

RPGNow.com - Chaosium - 1990's Handbook