How many disruptions can i cast in a melee round?

10baseT

How many battlemagic spells can I cast in a melee round while I’m in combat? (I’ve searched and haven’t been able to find a clear answer.)

I’ll set the scenario up. Below taken from page 36, new RQ classic rule book. (Spells may vary so using Disruption for example.)
*My spell is ready (wearing ring with focus) so SR0
*Casting Disruption, 1 POW, so SR0
*My DEX is 16 so SR1
Therefore, to cast a ready Disruption spell in combat, I go at SR1.

On page 19 on combat, right column ‘MULTIPLE ATTACKS WITHIN MELEE’ it states I can attack/defend physically or magically. I choose magically… and let’s say my opponent goes at SR7 (I’m going at 1 remember).

Then below paragraph  ‘MAGICAL ATTACKS AND STRIKE RANK’ states 5 SR are added if switching from a weapon to a spell. That does not apply to me because I’m ready with a spell and not switching from a weapon, so I’m still at SR1 to attack.

Therefore, assuming I have enough power, can I cast Disruption at SR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7? (I’ll assume I attack before my opponent who attacks physically at SR7). I don’t have to ready my spell because it’s already readied (ring on finger).

What if my total spell attack SR were 0, could I then cast as many Disruptions spell as I want, all on 0? (assuming I have the power).

Now what if I’m not in combat, but watching my party fight from a distance. Can I also machinegun a bunch of disruptions as well?

We just started playing RQ2 again and I think we only did 1 spell per melee back in the day. But I don’t see in the rules where it says otherwise. Have I been playing it wrong then… I’m probably missing something.

Thanks, G

Your first spell is at SR 1. Your second spell has a 5 SR delay as you need to ready that spell (the fact that it is Disruption doesn't matter as it is a different instance of the spell) and you have to add your DEX SR, so this adds 6 to your original SR, so you cast at SR 1, 7, 12.

I don't have the new RQ Classics rulebook to hand, but I thought you could do 2 things per round, out of attack/parry/cast spell, so you probably couldn't cast 3 Disruptions. Missiles are slightly different as they go by DEX SR, so you can shoot three arrows (Prepare/Fire, Reload/Fire, Reload/Fire).

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here