Crowd Source Editing: Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Rulebook

eyraud

from the pdfs:

main 7th ed handbook, p41 tribal member occupation skill points EDU x2 + (STR x2 or DEX x2)

investigators handbook, p 91 tribal member occupation skill points EDU x2 + (STR x2 + DEX x2)

i assume the main handbook is correct (tho i could see arguing for a tribal person earning more points in the few skills they do get...)

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Investigator Handbook 

(Print and PDF):

1. Page 6, first line - the book is called the "Investigators Handbook" <- the "s" should be removed to coincide with all other references to the book title.

2. Page 176 - title of the table "Period Cars and Trucks" should be in Cthulhu-Cristoforo font ( not the extra curly normal Cristoforo font )

Keeper Rulebook

1. PDF needs rear cover adding

2. Page 16, call-out box - 3rd paragraph, 3rd word - "Sectionn" has two "n"s ( affects both Print and PDF )

Both books suggestion:

Suggest 1st internal page ( with book title and credits ) have both book titles changed to reflect what they are called on the cover and indicia ( and mirroring the cover style ).

i.e. as attached examples:

Investigator Handbook Titlepage.pdf

Keeper Rulebook Titlepage.pdf

Edited by groovyclam
  • Like 2

Petersen Field Guide

Affects PDF only:

Page 28: Flying Polyp has two "Life and Habits" subheadings instead of a "Distribution" one

Page 60: sub-heading "Distinguishing Fire Vampire" - should say "Distinguishing Star Vampire"

Page 96: sub-heading "Distinguishing Great 0nes" - uses zero instead of capital O for "Ones"

Edited by groovyclam

Keeper Rulebook

( error in print and PDF ):

Page 327: Under the entry for Tulzscha -> the title of Tulzscha next to its illustration is missing the "s" ( i.e. it is printed as Tulzcha ) - all other references are spelt correctly.

Edited by groovyclam

• 1 month later...

Keeper Rulebook

Pages 106,107,108

The four headings; Striking the First Blow (Surprise),  Outnumbered,  Ranged and Thrown Weapons,  Escaping Close Combat

are in too small a font. They should have the same size font as the headings Fighting Maneuvers ( before them ) and Armor ( after them ).

Otherwise they are being subsumed into the Fighting Maneuvers section.

The Table of Contents at the front of the book needs updating with these four extra sub-sections after the Fighting Maneuvers entry.

( Thus the headings  Striking the First Blow (Surprise),  Outnumbered,  Ranged and Thrown Weapons,  Escaping Close Combat also need adding to the PDF bookmarks after the bookmark for Fighting Maneuvers )

Edited by groovyclam
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

pp.. 401, 406: The Hand-to-Hand Weapons table entry for Spear (cavalry lance) on p. 401 has an asterisk indicating a note at the bottom of the table, but no such note is present on p. 406. I assume the missing note says something about use of the lance at the charge; I'd hope the new edition sticks with the RuneQuest rule about letting the lancer use the mount's damage bonus in place of their own (e.g., +3D6 damage for a horseman) when charging.

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

A per this post:  

Investigator Handbook

Page 71 - Alter the skill list for the occupation Animal Trainer and replace Psychology with Animal Handling

Page 93 - sort of typo - under the occupation Zookeeper skill list  - Animal Handling is down as a subdivision of Art/Craft, but really it is its own skill

Page 93 - design issue - the ink colour of the page number "93" isn't black for some reason and the banner at the top of the page is lighter than the rest of the pages.

Page 96-121 inclusive - design issue - all of the page numbers for Chapter 5 are higher on the page than those of the rest of the book.

Edited by groovyclam

Hi - yes - I'm planning on collating any outstanding corrections later this year and getting them input into the PDF so everyone can redownload it etc. Also pass on the corrections to layout for future print runs. I'll also post up a PDF of the list of corrections for poeple's convenience.

Feel free to nag me around November.

• Like 1

It seems that there is some miscalculations in the credits table : 

Classic

Penniless $0.50 None $0.50
Poor 1 10 2
Average 2 50 10
Wealthy 5 500 50
Rich 20 2000 250
Super Rich 500 5M $5000

Modern

Penniless $10 None $10
Poor 20 200 40
Average 40 1000 200
Wealthy 100 10K 1000
Rich 400 2000 5000
Super Rich $1 million $100 million+ $100,000

As far as I can see, you're using the 1916/2016 inflation rate which is about x20 but the scale are around the same. 

The "rich line" seems to have some mistakes. 

CL CR x 2000($180,000 - $196,000)
MO CR x 2000($36M - $39.2M)

This seems KO. Either the classic table is right and modern should be : CRx400 CRx40 000 5000 ($3.6M - $3.92M)
or the modern estim is ok and then it should be : 
classic : CRx20 CRx20k($1,800,000 - $1,960,000) 250
modern : CRx400 CRx400k($36M - $39.2M) 5000

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/09/2016 at 4:04 PM, Mike M said:

Hi - yes - I'm planning on collating any outstanding corrections later this year and getting them input into the PDF so everyone can redownload it etc. Also pass on the corrections to layout for future print runs. I'll also post up a PDF of the list of corrections for poeple's convenience.

Feel free to nag me around November.

@Mike "Nag, nag, whinge, whine, etc."

Even more nagging -> can we have a PDF of Alone in the Dark with the nice cover to the paper version instead of the "get it out the door!" version ?

Many thanks for the extra errata.

I have updated the errata PDF (see next post).

The Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver's statistics on page 180 of the Investigator Handbook are correct. The gun is not listed in the collected weapon tables later in the book. As stated in the text, it is a unique weapon and so is not shown on the collected tables (which are intended as more general or representative). The same goes for the Remington M1889 shotgun and Vickers .303 (in the weapon tables n/a means the guns are not available to the public/very hard to get - the price on p183 is intended to give an average specific blackmarket price) - the guns section in the 1920s chapter illustrates particular weapons, some of which do not appear on the weapon tables.

Page 246 - "12-gauge Double-barrel Shotgun Kit (30)" - note: the kit is an adpater, allowing the gun to fire different calibres.

The reason I thought the price for the Vickers .303 was supposed to be on the list on page 253, even though it is an blackmarket price, is that the Mark I Lewis Gun and the Browning M1918 do have their prices in the list on page 253 and both those prices are also blackmarket prices according to pages 182-183. :)

Also I still wondering about the following one in the Investigator Handbook:

Page 246
Right Column
Under Firearm Ammunition
When comparing this list to the same list in the Keeper Rulebook, on page 398, the four last entries are not included in the list in the Keeper Rulebook. Though the Keeper Rulebook has a more generic ”Extra Magasin” with a cost of $1.90. I’m thinking that the ”Extra Magazine for 32 Cal Colt Auto” and ”Extra Magazine for Colt 22 Pistol” should be replaced with the more generic ”Extra Magazine” for $1.90 instead.

Isn't the Keeper Rulebook more correct then Investigator Handbook here? Cause if we are supposed to go after the Investigator Handbook, are there only supposed to be extra magazines for a "32 Cal Colt Auto" and a "Colt 22 Pistol"?

---

Minor errata for the new Errata-PDF, it has the date 11 november in the filename, should be 22 november. ;)

Edited by Elder Thing

2 hours ago, Elder Thing said:

Page 246
Right Column
Under Firearm Ammunition
When comparing this list to the same list in the Keeper Rulebook, on page 398, the four last entries are not included in the list in the Keeper Rulebook. Though the Keeper Rulebook has a more generic ”Extra Magasin” with a cost of $1.90. I’m thinking that the ”Extra Magazine for 32 Cal Colt Auto” and ”Extra Magazine for Colt 22 Pistol” should be replaced with the more generic ”Extra Magazine” for $1.90 instead.

Isn't the Keeper Rulebook more correct then Investigator Handbook here? Cause if we are supposed to go after the Investigator Handbook, are there only supposed to be extra magazines for a "32 Cal Colt Auto" and a "Colt 22 Pistol"?

Yes, you are probably right - may have been better as "Extra Magazine $1.90".

The price lists cannot obviously convey 'everything' and are meant to be representational - they are not like fantasy RPG price lists. They are meant to give the Keeper and player an indication of likely average price in an average place, thus some discretion in application is advised. Thus, saying "32 Cal Colt Auto" we are just signifying that an extra clip (for any handgun) is going to be in this price ballpark. It's trying to convery a sense of realism while also being generic enough to broadly apply to similiar items. We kept the price lists more or less the same as in previous editions - they'd been fine for 35 years, so we just refreshed them a little and moved on.

At the end of the day, as we try to say in the books, buying stuff should be quick and (mostly) easy - that's what credit rating is for, so you don't need to account for every tiny spend (you want an extra clip - sure, you got it). Spending time focusing on shopping isn't horror and mystery roleplaying  ; ) 

Edited by Mike M
  • Like 1

I'll throw in a minor one:

• p. 37, “What the Numbers Mean” sidebar: Under “Size”, the entry for "60" entry should be "65", since this is the average roll for the SIZ characteristic. (Or are investigators meant to be fatter than average?)

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason