Crowd Source Editing: Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Rulebook

eyraud

In the errata, the entry for p. 305 of the Keeper Rulebook reads "Insect from Shaggy"; this should read "Insects from Shaggai" (or "Shaggai, Insects from" to match the actual format of the creature entry).

Similarly, the entries for p. 403 in the Keeper Rulebook and for p. 252 in the Investigator Handbook should both read "12-gauge Shotgun" rather than "12-guage Shotgun".

(Yes, we're on to meta-errata. I look forward to the meta-meta-errata pointing out my own mistakes.)

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

• 2 weeks later...

Updated errata for Keeper Rulebook, Investigtaor Handbook, Keeper Screen, and Petersen Fieldguide. 

Please note, the PDFs of these books have also now been updated with the corrections and you can re-download them from the Chaosium website through your Account and Completed Purchases (note: the corrected Keeper Screen PDF should be available in the next 24-48 hours).

Call of Cthulhu Errata for 7e Books - 6 December 2016.pdf

Edited by Mike M
  • Like 1

Mike, some "bad stuff" has happened in the new Keeper Book PDF edits:

a) Page numbers on pages 256-258 inclusive now have a dark box superimposed.

B) Page 398 correction has made the price justified incorrectly compared to the other prices in the list.

c) It's lost the back cover.

"Bad stuff" with the new Investigator Handbook PDF:

a) Some of the amended pages have weirdly shrunk in size i.e. pages 46, 93 and 253

B) Page 93 is still the wrong colour background with a red ink page number (as opposed to black).

c) Page 176 table heading needs a font fix to less curly Cthulhu Cristoforo

d) Can we have the rear cover added to the PDF ?

"Bad stuff" with the new Petersen Guide PDF:

a) It's lost the back cover.

-----

In general, in the Keeper and Investigator book PDFs, when there is a single full page graphic ( as opposed to a 2-page spread ) there seems to be strips of that graphic reprinted on the facing page close to the gutter ( I am wondering if this is something to do with an option in the PDF export/creation to allow for the graphic to be protected if the book is bound ). If so, can this option be turned off just for these PDFs, since it wasn't happening in some previous versions of the PDFs ?

Edited by groovyclam

Hi Groovycalm

I have just re-downloaded the files myself to check again:

Rulebook:

P256-258 - I cannot see a dark box superimposed  - they look fine to me.

p398 - again I cannot see any error here - the prices line up.

I can see the shrunk pages and the missing back covers - I will ask for these to get corrected.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Mike M said:

P256-258 - I cannot see a dark box superimposed  - they look fine to me.

p398 - again I cannot see any error here - the prices line up.

It's probably a viewer-specific thing. I'm using Windows 10 and PDF-XChange Viewer.

I've just tried it on Android with a PDF viewer and the black boxes aren't there on pages 256-258 but the price on page 398 for rimfire is still justified wrong.

Does "the strips of graphics" issue I mention above ring any bells ?

Edited by groovyclam

18 hours ago, chiisu81 said:

Will gladly purchase the PDF directly from Chaosium as it'll give them full share of money, but I'd like to see the PDF on DTRPG updated as well for those who've purchased it from that site, as it hasn't since February (but I'd still like to give a nod to Chaosium for at least updating it on there since its release in Jun 2015!).

will pass that along and see about updating those PDFs too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just signed because I have a question about the rules. I don't know if this is the most appropriate section of the forum, so please let me know.

Anyway, I bought the 7th edition core rulebook at the last Lucca Comics&Games fair, and it seems to me that there are some contradictory informations about how to calculate the Credit Rating of the character; my questions are:

1) in the Professions table, every profession has a starting CR listed as a range X-Y: does the X value have to be subtracted from the character points or is it "free"? Example, if I want to make an engineer, the CR is listed as 30-60; do I have to spend at least 30 points to reach the minimum value, or I start from 30 and then I add up points to it?

2) in the Harvey Walters example, his CR is said to be 41, but this would exceed the one listed for the "Journalist" profession, that has a range of 9-30: am I missing something or is it an error? Similarly, in the "Credit Rating" paragraph, it is said that a criminal lord could have a starting CR of 90, but in the table the maximum allowed for "Criminal" is 65.

Thanks a lot, I'm planning to play with some friends but I'd like to clarify at least these things before starting the game.

Edited by Stugis88

On 25/12/2016 at 1:24 PM, Stugis88 said:

Hi, I just signed because I have a question about the rules. I don't know if this is the most appropriate section of the forum, so please let me know.

Anyway, I bought the 7th edition core rulebook at the last Lucca Comics&Games fair, and it seems to me that there are some contradictory informations about how to calculate the Credit Rating of the character; my questions are:

1) in the Professions table, every profession has a starting CR listed as a range X-Y: does the X value have to be subtracted from the character points or is it "free"? Example, if I want to make an engineer, the CR is listed as 30-60; do I have to spend at least 30 points to reach the minimum value, or I start from 30 and then I add up points to it?

2) in the Harvey Walters example, his CR is said to be 41, but this would exceed the one listed for the "Journalist" profession, that has a range of 9-30: am I missing something or is it an error? Similarly, in the "Credit Rating" paragraph, it is said that a criminal lord could have a starting CR of 90, but in the table the maximum allowed for "Criminal" is 65.

Thanks a lot, I'm planning to play with some friends but I'd like to clarify at least these things before starting the game.

Hi

1) No, the Credit Rating listed under an occupation is the suggested range  - thus, if it says 30-80, players should allocate a miniumum of 30  or a maximum of 80 skills points to Credit Rating. The points are not free, they are taken from the character's Occupation skill points (see page 36 Rulebook).

2) See page 38 Rulebook - the example says "Harvey's player allocated 41 occupational skill points for Credit Rating." It then goes on to say "While the Journalist occupation gives a Credit Rating range of 9-30, the player asks to invest more points as Harvey comes from a wealthy family - the Keeper agrees to this request."

Thus, the Credit Rating range in an occupation is elastic - the player, with the Keeper's permission, might agree a lower or higher Credit Rating for their investigator. So while an average criminal might have a Credit Rating within the suggested range, a criminal lord/boss would have a higher one (as they are presumably more successful and wealthy). See Chapter 4 of the Investigator Handbook, which includes many sub-divisions of certain occupations (inc. Criminal).

Edited by Mike M

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

The skill list from Core Rule Book p.56 categorized "Spear" into "Firearms". Should it be "Fighting" depending on the following description?

page 56: Spear (20%)—see Firearms (or Throw)

should be:  Spear (20%)—see Fighting (or Throw)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Took a quick look recently in the Keeper References Booklet that came with the Keeper Screen Pack and found some things that probably could be added to the Errata.

Page 3 - in the ”Skills: Base Chance” list, by Spear, change Firearms to Fighting

Page 3 - under Sample Phobias, number 38, remove the extra spacing before the word Agoraphobia

Then all the errata that are in the Keeper Rulebook for the weapon lists also apply to the the Keeper Reference Booklet:

Page 10 - Hand-to-Hand Weapons - Spear (cavalry lance) – delete the asterisk and replace with “(i)”

Page 11 - .25 Derringer (1B) - end of row - change ”1920a” to ”1920s”

Page 11 - .45 Revolver - end of row - change ”1920S” to ”1920s”

Page 12 - .22 Bolt-Action Rifle - change "1920S” to ”1920s”

Page 12 - 12-gauge Shotgun (semi-auto) - Base Range - change “yeards” to yards

Page 13 - Thompson – change 1920s era cost to: $200+ (insert “+”)

Page 13 - Model 1882 Gatling Gun - end of row - insert comma after "1920s"

Page 15 - Chainsaw [footnote] – line 3: "towards to user's head" should be "towards the user's head”

Page 15 - Garrote [footnote] – line 2 - "again" should be "against"

However there are also some new errata for the weapon lists in the Keeper References Booklet:

Page 11 - Hand-to-Hand Weapons - Sword, heavy (cavalry saber) - end of row - add a space after the comma, and make ”Modern” end up on the row under

Page 11 - .45 Automatic - remove the line that separates the two rows of this entry

Page 13 - Remove the extra spacing above ”Assault Rifles (i)”

---

And here are some new minor errata for the weapon list in the Keeper Rulebook

Page 402 - Hand-to-Hand Weapons - Sword, heavy (cavalry saber) - end of row - add a space after the comma, and make ”Modern” end up on the row under

Page 406 - GE Mini-Gun, remove the extra space or spaces between ”GE” and ”Mini-Gun”
(Same change should then also be made in the Investigator Handbook on page 255.)

---

I hope that the Errata keeps getting updated as new things are found. Like the stuff I have found above, and the errata about the Spear in the post above. It would probably help incase of newer versions of the PDFs or a new printing of any of the books in the future.

I would also suggest to add the minor errata that has been found in Doors to Darkness to this errata also. So all who have the printed books have all the errata collected in one PDF.

Perhaps also put the errata that aren't included in the newest PDF versions of any of the books, in another color, so that the new stuff is easier to identify for those with the latest versions of the PDFs.

---

I’m also wondering if the PDFs that are available through Bits and Mortar have been updated to the latest versions of the PDFs?

If not, will they be updated? And if so, any idea on when that will be?

Edited by Elder Thing

Does that mean that the Errata-PDF will be updated again at some point, or is it only the PDFs of the books that will be updated?

Also, I'm still wondering about the Mortars & Bits part, so I repeat that here:

I’m also wondering if the PDFs that are available through Bits and Mortar have been updated to the latest versions of the PDFs?

If not, will they be updated? And if so, any idea on when that will be?

Thanks Mike, but I’m still wondering about the collected errata-PDF that is only available through this forum thread, which was last updated on the 6th of december 2016.

Will you be updating that one as well, and make it available here in this thread? As I wrote above, I hope you will continue to do so, with stuff like the things I found above, the Spear - Firearms/Fighting errata, the few corrections found for Doors to Darkness and now also the Resilient Talent errata found for Pulp Cthulhu. And also any potential new stuff that is found in the future. So that we can have one PDF with all the errata collected for all the 7th edition printed books, from the 7th Edition Rulebook and forward.