Pavis, the half (ling)....

Noita

Pavis, half elf, half what? What do we really know about him? Who were his parents? Why Adari? Was he born there or did he just live there? Do we really like him?

Adari: my current ruler is the self appointed sheriff Rollon Beaksharp, a notorious Durulz bandit and leader of a nefarious band of adventurers. He reckons Pavis was half duck.

Half elf half human, and several fractions more very strange. Adari probably was chosen for its remoteness from the draconic influences, and because of the proximity to the Redwood Forest and the Paps. On the Zola Fel there were only river folk and oasis folk, the Jrusteli settlement of Robcradle was spanking new or still in the planning stage.

For all of his parentage, Pavis studied with the Mostali (of Greatway and/or Dwarf Mine) and apparently got their cooperation in his vision to re-enliven Stone. That should answer the question whether we really like him - anybody consorting with the dwarfs cannot be up to anything good.

For some reason, duck leaders tell us that the great charismatic leaders in Kerofinela all really were ducks, human appearance nonwithstanding. Sartar was said to have been/become a duck, too. Not to mention Arkat. He probably didn't become a chaotic being after failing as a troll, but instead became the superior being, and took duck shape when eviscerating Nysalor. Say some ducks.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The sources say that he was strong in earth magic, and he did find a sufficiently fertile place in the chaparral to support a large city. I'd say he did have fertility aspects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iskallor said:

Did Pavis show any of his plantlike ancestory? Was he part plant or fully human despite his odd mix.

Oddly he seems to have no Aldryami magic.

From what I recall, he is described to have had green skin and flowers in/as his beard and hair, so he clearly had some notes of his plant ancestry.

2 hours ago, Iskallor said:

Was he initially a troll friend? Adari is full of trolls.

Apparently it wasn't during Pavis' childhood, since the attack was external, although the local trolls may have suffered a similar fate to the native christians of Jerusalem during the Crusades.

The project that gave birth to Pavis was trying to set things right in a Golden Age or even Green Age sense. In such an environment, there is only one appropriate place for trolls - in hell. I a pleasant, fertile one, which may have been an incentive for uz participation in the experiment. If there were uz attempting to defeat the Gbaji curse (or indeed the Yelmic curse that made them uzko), they perished along with Pavis' parents.

2 hours ago, Jenx said:

From what I recall, he is described to have had green skin and flowers in/as his beard and hair, so he clearly had some notes of his plant ancestry.

Either that, or he spent time in San Francisco in the late '60s :D

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 3

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Some sources say he was magically birthed by a dryad, but I am not sure about that.

He definitely had Fertility powers and owned the Earth Rune in the old RQ2 cult writeup, but he probably wouldn't have Earth nowadays.

Half duck? Probably not, but he liked ducks. Don't forget that ducks were partially the result of some EWF magicking where they brought back funny things from the Godplane. Pavis probably wasn't party to that himself but might have been the result of some similar messing about.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Reading up, it looks like I misremembered the first raid on Adari - no trolls among the attackers, but Waha's nomad army.

Ducks predated the EWF - the Malkioni remember that the assault of Sshorg or some spawn of it carried beaked entities, which then got roasted or boiled in the counter magic of Zzabur, creating the greatest duck broth of all myth. The jury still is undecided whether those beakies were collaborators of the invading sea or hapless keets washed along after the invasion of Ganderland.

The Durulz of Kerofinela don't mention this incident, but they don't offer any other good story why they are there.

All the official sources on Pavis say that he was a man, but those are probably all fowl lies.

• Like 3

I do remember reading his Mother was a Dryad but forget from where.

Races in Glorantha are not supposed to interbreed , except for Broo and a few special cases, except with powerful magic.

Delecti is said to know such magic, but  I would prefer not to talk to him.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2016 at 6:56 AM, TRose said:

I do remember reading his Mother was a Dryad but forget from where.

Races in Glorantha are not supposed to interbreed , except for Broo and a few special cases, except with powerful magic.

Delecti is said to know such magic, but  I would prefer not to talk to him.

Well, Delecti wouldn't have been a vampire back in the day.  Perhaps he met a dryad......?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Well, Delecti wouldn't have been a vampire back in the day.  Perhaps he met a dryad......?

Not sure if Delecti is a Vampire. Then again not sure if anyone really knows what he is. I think Lich of some sort might be more accurate

2 hours ago, TRose said:

Not sure if Delecti is a Vampire. Then again not sure if anyone really knows what he is. I think Lich of some sort might be more accurate

Received wisdom on Gloranthan major undead is that there is no intrinsic difference between liches, draugr, vampires or other life-draining major undead. Vampires don't necessarily go for the neck if they drink blood (or ingest it otherwise, e.g. absorbing through the skin), and some might skip the red stuff completely and go directly for the soul. The point about Vivamort is giving up your living soul for a continued existence in hunger for life, not about blood sucking. The Bram Stokeresque weaknesses are window dressing.