Drakar och Demoner, retro makes me excited

Magiker Can be used by both female and male practitioners. As I recall they were going for a genderneutral rulebook. I do miss Stråtrövare and Hantverkare is a New proffesion. I do worry that they change it too much.. That would bé sad.. But The art, I really like the art style.

Edited by muminalver
missed an phrase

How come the swedes are able to pull this off again and again; small companies produce small games for a small group of customers (in swedish, a language spoken by 9-10 million people on a good day), and manage to blow international publishers out of the water with concepts and looks? Is there some sort of govermental stipend for this, or do they just have that rare combination of luck and raving lunacy? 

• Haha 1

I think its a mix of luck a exceptional individuals, doing the right thing in the right moment. I think old version sold something like 100000 còpies, of course this is pre-Internet, pre-cabel Tv in Sweden. In a country not known for Nice weather, during a time when there was not much to do. It inspiered a lot of people, the artist J. Egerkrans beguin his career due to this game.. In The 80 the best enjoyment was vhs videos and the game evry kid played was Drakar och Demoner.

On 2.5.2016 at 0:38 PM, muminalver said:

Magiker Can be used by both female and male practitioners. As I recall they were going for a genderneutral rulebook.

I hope that is not part of the political correctness movement that was lamented by fellow Scandinavians at last Kraken...

On 2.5.2016 at 0:38 PM, muminalver said:

I do miss Stråtrövare and Hantverkare is a New proffesion. I do worry that they change it too much.. That would bé sad.. But The art, I really like the art style.

Not sure whether there has to be much change. I never did a word for word translation, as my Swedish is almost enough to read the ancient (boxed set) rules fluently, and I mostly compared them to known BRP rules rather than studying them in detail. I spent most scrutiny on the spell economy, which I loaned for a "Low Sorcery" style magic (compare Midkemia) for my then non-Gloranthan RQ setting Runewelt.

I cannot help but compare Drakar och Demoner (original edition) with Das Schwarze Auge (DSA, aka The Dark Eye), the German response to imperialistic TSR demands when roleplaying was pushed big style in 1984. DSA created a very "gutbürgerlich" German setting which I left as fast as I could for settins of my own design. They did establish an art style of their own which is pleasant but quite  - let's call it "politically correct", despite a couple of badly thought through initial illustrations which created a modest uproar back in the days.

Anyway, I bought Drakar och Demoner when I was a bit over two years into the hobby, and well into my own major setting, then with a different, slightly older German rpg, while making first tentative steps towards RQ and Stormbringer. Anyway, I had the opportunity to compare the German mainstream rpg with the Swedish one, and boy did the German system and setting suck in comparison. (That was about the last time I took a closer look to DSA. I heard they kept working on the system and the setting, but frankly I cannot see how improving either would lift it to the standard of Drakar och Demoner of the late eighties.)

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Regarding the Swedish RPG scene, it seems to consist of a good mix of alternative game developers and more commercial ones. With both camps being quite close to each other, doing work for each other - and ideas flow both ways. It seems to be paying off at the moment: Mutant: Year Zero, Symbaroum and Trudvang are being translated and win prizes : ) And the alt scene is bustling with interesting titles... 

• Like 2

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

I'm also really digging the artwork. Pity I don't know any Swedish.

Edit: I remember seeing the box for Drakar och Demoner in a store in Sweden back in 1985; it was the edition that used the same Michael Whelan painting of Elric that appeared on the 4th-edition Stormbringer book, and (being unable to read the back-cover text) I wondered whether it was a licensed version of Stormbringer.

Edited by trystero
  • Like 1

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

I don't know the editions well enough to tell which one it was, but I think it was either http://www.runan.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/drakarochdemoner.jpg or http://media.xn--ventyrsspel-k8a.com/2015/09/Drakar-och-demoner-239x300.png.

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

I am so waiting for my Kickstarter copy and from what I have seen it is gonna be glorious! :D

Plan to use this Retro Edition to introduce my nephew into the wonderful world of Drakar and Demoner. He is about the same age I was when I got started at 9-10 years old. At first we didn't even read through the rules we just used the numbers in the book to sort of created our own RPG. But within a year or so I knew the rules almost instinctively. And that is why I love the BRP system. It is just so easy. Even though nowadays I have moved on to RQ6/Mythras.

• Like 1

Speaking of the devil. Riotminds just released a "work in progress" cover of the first adventure campaign to be released at the same time as the new retro Drakar och Demoner. :)

Skymninghavets Gåtor.jpg

Edited by Chorpa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chorpa said:

Speaking of the devil. Riotminds just released a "work in progress" cover of the first adventure campaign to be released at the same time as the new retro Drakar och Demoner. :)

Skymninghavets Gåtor.jpg

Trying to dust off my Swedish after a decade of not using it: "The Riddles (or Secrets) of the Sea of Dusk?"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Joerg said:

Trying to dust off my Swedish after a decade of not using it: "The Riddles (or Secrets) of the Sea of Dusk?"

Very good and very accurate I must say. It was first planned be a single adventure written by one of the now famous authors (at least in Sweden) from the old days during the height of the Drakar and Demoner period from the 80s. But because of the very successful kickstarter (that took everyone by surprise) it expanded into a full seafaring campaign where you explore Skymningshavet/Sea of Dusk and it's plentiful adventure locations. Can't wait to see how it turns out and the little I have seen from Anders Blixt's blog it is gonna be a very nice module that embraces both the old and new into a perfect blend. :-)

• Like 1

I recognized the name Anders Blixt from my occasional forays into Göteborg's Äventyrspel shop in the late eighties and early nineties. I think i bought the Expert set of DoD back then, in addition to the basic game. University student finances kept me from digging deeper into the game and setting at the time, but I liked what glimpses I got. Pretty much my style of OSR.

• Like 1