Jump to content
muminalver

Drakar och Demoner, retro makes me excited

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, smiorgan said:

So, the game they will translate into English is not the BRP-based version?

Smiorgan

 

Actually it is already available but only through their online feature (haven't tried that myself). You can find it here Trudvang Chronicles.

I would say Trudvang it is only very distant relative that has grown out of the old DoD Expert system. It uses d20 instead och d100 on skill rolls and they got rid of the Characteristics. Instead you get two positive traits and two negative traits that in areas that used to be the old characteristics (like STR, DEX and so on) that give a bonus or penalty on certain rolls and help with some skills. The new part is a kind of Talent trees that help further define your character and granting abilities and give bonuses to certain skills. It as been a while since I played Trudvang myself. Usually I just steal the world and use BRP, RQ6 or Rolemaster for the rules instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yes the Trudvagn system(s) has always been an bit odd.. I have several times tried to make use of the rules.. But things in the system bugs me too much..  
And I go for easier systems Or systems thats well explained.. Rq 6 is the most complicated game system I can take.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update!!  you Can pre-order the game from Sfbok, in September,( doubt it Will be ready then, they are doing playtesting of the system now.)

But on the blurb at Sience fiction bokhandeln does it state: that it Will have a Resistance table!! It Will be using 1d100, easy pick up and play system using somethings from the expert version of the game.( probably crafting skills) race+ proffesion for starting skills. Yepp, fall is going to be good.. (i hope)

 

 

:)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that is the "New"  system or rebooted Drakar och Demoner.  well New and New is it 10+ years, old... The world, is fantastic the art is top notch, its a Brp derivated versión. But its not the game I talk about in the start of the thread, thats original magic world tweaked its was the roleplaying game you played in Sweden in the 80 s.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:16 PM, muminalver said:

I am so... Hyped...:D

tmp_16754-14241422_666910226799847_7887070679631246948_o354012271.jpg

Thread Necromancy is go!

My god this stuff is beautiful. Did any of it ever get translated into English?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Thread Necromancy is go!

My god this stuff is beautiful. Did any of it ever get translated into English?

No. Nothing have so far have gotten translated to English and I doubt it will in the foreseeable future. To be honest the game was very disappointing. It is still usable but they removed and added new things that made no sense at all and very poorly proofread texts that makes you think they rushed the product. BUT THE ART WAS GORGEOUS!. Many others in Sweden are of similar opinion as me, but I do know of several groups that despite the rules are running successful and entertaining games with Drakar och Demoner 2016 as it is called nowadays. But the company RiotMinds who released Drakar & Demoner 2016 have released their other games in English. Especially Trudvang Chronicles is a very nice setting and the game is distantly related to DoD and BRP with tons of gorgeous art (as most of their products are). Even though I don't like the rules in Trudvang Chronicles to much. The rules are not bad but they just don't cater to my taste so I usually use another ruleset of my own taste in the setting. Been thinking about using Mythras for it next time. But have to sit down and see if I can capture the feel of the magic and religions of the Trudvang world (shouldn't be to hard by creating Cults and Brotherhoods for the setting).

Edited by Chorpa
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m afraid not. The retro version is only in Swedish. The closest you can get is Trudvang Chronicles from the same company. As said earlier, Trudvang Chronicles is a quite distant relative to BRP. Some people love the system, some not so much. But the art and setting is fantastic. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clarence said:

I’m afraid not. The retro version is only in Swedish. The closest you can get is Trudvang Chronicles from the same company. As said earlier, Trudvang Chronicles is a quite distant relative to BRP. Some people love the system, some not so much. But the art and setting is fantastic. 

That's a huge bummer. Has there ever been any english translations of DoD?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I don’t think so. But over the years, Drakar och Demoner 6 evolved into what is now called Trudvang Chronicles - both in Swedish and English. The setting is intact from DoD 6 and many of the books for it has simply been translated and the stats updated to follow the new not-quite BRP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we swedes have to write and translate our own DoD english version... And pay the artist to do another batch of awsome art...

Should we call it DoD 2020.....???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, Chorpa said:

No. Nothing have so far have gotten translated to English and I doubt it will in the foreseeable future. To be honest the game was very disappointing. It is still usable but they removed and added new things that made no sense at all and very poorly proofread texts that makes you think they rushed the product. BUT THE ART WAS GORGEOUS!. Many others in Sweden are of similar opinion as me, but I do know of several groups that despite the rules are running successful and entertaining games with Drakar och Demoner 2016 as it is called nowadays. But the company RiotMinds who released Drakar & Demoner 2016 have released their other games in English. Especially Trudvang Chronicles is a very nice setting and the game is distantly related to DoD and BRP with tons of gorgeous art (as most of their products are). Even though I don't like the rules in Trudvang Chronicles to much. The rules are not bad but they just don't cater to my taste so I usually use another ruleset of my own taste in the setting. Been thinking about using Mythras for it next time. But have to sit down and see if I can capture the feel of the magic and religions of the Trudvang world (shouldn't be to hard by creating Cults and Brotherhoods for the setting).

Would you mind talking a bit more about the disappointment? I'm looking at the English translation kickstarter and thinking of jumping onboard, but I would like to know what went wrong.

Also, is this the actual system? In their breakdown, they list 4 stats (for example). Is that how DoD worked instead of the classic 7?

What about magic? How does it work? Is a mage superior to a warrior (ala DND issues) or are they fairly 'balanced'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not using the system from Drakar och Demoner. DoD have seven characteristics and 20+ skills. I don’t recognise the setting either. It looks like a completely new game - inspired by DoD though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I can tell it is a streamlined version of DoD: 4 characteristics, 6 skills.

Right or wrong, I presume that RiotMinds felt that there wasn’t a market for DoD as is (presumably because of all the RuneQuest and Cthulhu clones) so they’ve produced a new game based on DoD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, yojimbo said:

From what I can tell it is a streamlined version of DoD: 4 characteristics, 6 skills.

Right or wrong, I presume that RiotMinds felt that there wasn’t a market for DoD as is (presumably because of all the RuneQuest and Cthulhu clones) so they’ve produced a new game based on DoD.

Ah...interesting.

How does the new magic system work?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Would you mind talking a bit more about the disappointment? I'm looking at the English translation kickstarter and thinking of jumping onboard, but I would like to know what went wrong.

Also, is this the actual system? In their breakdown, they list 4 stats (for example). Is that how DoD worked instead of the classic 7?

What about magic? How does it work? Is a mage superior to a warrior (ala DND issues) or are they fairly 'balanced'?

Sure I don't have it all in my head at the moment but some of the big ones that I was the poorly proofread texts. They missed several pages in one of the kickstarter adventures. I also didn't like many of the changes like they replaced the stat STO (SIZ) with PER (Perception) for no apparent reason. Heck all the changes they made just didn't make any sense since neither of the changes didn't make the game any easier or more streamlined. In some cases it even made the game even clunkier. One example is that you are supposed to choose between two stances each round in combat (Offensive & Defensive stance). In theory the stance idea is a good one but in play it made the combats come to a screeching halt and actually become boring. Same that the damages on weapons are only d6s (between 1 to 3d6) and besides the damage and weight there was not anything to differentiate between different weapons like AP/HP or anything like that. Don't get me started on the poorly written encumbrance rules (they did a very poor fix in the errata)? Overall it felt like a rushed product that could have used some more rounds of game testing and proofreading before being rushed out. They launched a new kickstarter on an old Swedish campaign world called Ereb Altor but reading about it you realize that it really doesn't have much to do with the old setting but instead is a new one called Kaldarox. And in this one they seemed to promise to change a lot of the broken stuff from DoD2016 but since product haven't been released we don't know what we get. From what I can see the the new Ruin Masters is gonna use this new setting (Caldarox in English) but other than that I don't know how much it will contain from either DoD2016 or Ereb Altor. But since the thing that pissed most people off is that they promised to make a cleaned up reprint of the old DoD edition (Basically the same as Worlds of Wonder with the Magic World booklet) from 1987 but instead we got a new poorly proofread game with new clunky rules that didn't make much sense. Because of this I am waiting for the finished product before I give them any of my money and avoiding their Kickstarter.

Edited by Chorpa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...