Six husband-protectors of Ernalda

evilgaz

Greetings!

Where is it detailed who the six husband-protectors of Ernalda are?  I've even seen talk of the number being five or seven.  Even with the variable truth of Gloranthan tales, have we got a rough list of the husband-protectors sourced somewhere?  I've got Orlanth...

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

Here's the most common list (God Learnerized):

The Husband-Protectors

Wherever Ernalda is found, her local husbands give her a Rune spell as protection. Orlanth is always one of Ernalda’s husbands, but in many places he shares that honor with one or more of the following deities. In Esrolia, all the following husband-deities are present; Ernalda’s priestesses there gain Rune spells from all.

Orlanth: Orlanth is universally worshiped as Ernalda’s husband, even among people who do not worship Orlanth. 

Argan Argar: Argan Argar is only worshiped as Ernalda’s husband in Esrolia and among the rare Darkness-worshiping cultures that respect the Earth deities.

Flamal: Flamal is worshiped as Ernalda’s husband primarily among the elves. 

Magasta: Magasta is Ernalda’s husband in Esrolia and in some island cultures. 

Storm Bull: The Storm Bull is worshiped as Ernalda’s husband in Esrolia and by the rare Ernalda worshipers of the Wastes. 

Yelmalio: A minority of the tribes in Dragon Pass and the south Pelorian hills worships Yelmalio as one of Ernalda's husbands.

She's got others as well. In Saird, she is known to count Lodril AND Yelm among her husbands - along with Orlanth.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Mark Mohrfield said:

Are Heler and/or Elmal considered husband-protectors anywhere?

I'm sure somewhere where Heler is more important (and worshiped independently), he is worshiped as one of Ernalda's many husbands. But his cult is not terribly important. Remember, for the most part Heler is worshiped as an accoutrement of Orlanth.

Elmal is just treated as another variant of Yelm or Yelmalio by most Ernalda temples. Which is kind of right.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Darius West said:

which Gods are not Ernalda's husbands

To our knowledge, Eurmal.  But I'm sure there's some Trickster myth that claims he was.

Lhankor Mhy and Issaries.  Though both have clear associations with Esrolia and Nochet.

Pole Star, Dayzatar, etc.  They are distant and distainful of the lowly Earth goddesses.

On 9/24/2016 at 3:52 AM, Darius West said:

Orlanth and Ernalda seem to have a pretty open relationship. Perhaps it would be more pertinent to ask which Gods are not Ernalda's husbands?  Goddess gets... around...

The Husband Protectors were usually when Orlanth was away, or before Orlanth and Ernalda married, so were marriages of convenience until Orlanth came back.

Anyone who offered protection against particular enemies would probably have been contenders.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 year later...
On 02/05/2016 at 5:29 PM, Jeff said:

Magasta: Magasta is Ernalda’s husband in Esrolia and in some island cultures. 

On 03/05/2016 at 7:17 AM, Jeff said:

Elmal is just treated as another variant of Yelm or Yelmalio by most Ernalda temples. Which is kind of right.

Does this mean that they are worshipped in Esrolia?

Elmal definitely is worshipped as one of the rival suitors for Esrola, with Heler being his rival.

In Nochet a deity named Harono might be worshipped instead. At least used to be worshipped.

Magasta will be worshipped by the coastal folk, many of whom are culturally Pelaskite, although probably having adopted some features of the neighboring Esrolians into their culture. But then there is little point for inland folk to worship any sea deities, except at sites like Ezel (or Hrelar Amali in Ralios).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 9/24/2016 at 3:29 AM, jajagappa said:

To our knowledge, Eurmal.  But I'm sure there's some Trickster myth that claims he was.

Trickster is the Seducer, but he is not a husband, or if he is, it is a trick he played on himself. Ernalda is a goddess of sex (not the goddess, but definitely Ernalda the Lover is one of her aspects), so I don't doubt she has a very long list of friends and admirers. If Orlanth was jealous he would be a massive hypocrite also, which is not one of his many faults. Marriage is supposed to compel sexual faithfulness, but Orlanth isn't always her husband in the god-time - whenever he's in exile, presumed dead, dead, or young bachelor Orlanth, he's not her husband. Or when she's dead, which is a part of every year.

Ernalda is such a major goddess, that the local most important god is probably her husband, almost everywhere, with a few exceptions, such as lowland Peloria.

[As I know a very hard-working sheep farmer in Ceredigion, despite being English, I don't do sheep jokes... 8-) ]

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2016 at 6:17 AM, Jeff said:

Watcha, I must say I am surprised.

Obviously they share the Sky Rune, but... I always thought they were different (moving) celestial bodies, Yelmalio being Antirius/the Little Sun/Kargzant and Yelm the Sun/Yu-Kargzant.

Hints please, @Jeff 🙏🏻

4 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Obviously they share the Sky Rune, but... I always thought they were different (moving) celestial bodies, Yelmalio being Antirius/the Little Sun/Kargzant and Yelm the Sun/Yu-Kargzant.

Yelmalio, Elmal etc are the Cold Sun - the Sun as it was in the Storm Age.

Yelm is the Golden Age Sun.

The planet Lightfore is the Sun as it moves through the Night/Underworld/Great Darkness (I think on that last one).  Often when Solar worshippers want to mock worshippers of a rival sun god, they might say "oh, they worship Lightfore".  But they are still daytime sun worshippers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patrick said:

Hints please, @Jeff 🙏🏻

Elmal during the great darkness was the cold/distant sun, now associated with the planet Lightfore. (And thus Yelmalio)

At the dawn, Orlanth returned with a sacred torch which healed Elmal and made him bright and strong again, making him associated with the Sun. (And thus Yelm)

Now, in Nochet you'd probably not want to talk about any similarities around Little Vanntar or Elmal Town.

Recall also that the Bad Emperor is associated with the sky and fire, but is not identified as the Sun by traditionalist Orlanthi. Ernalda was a slave-wife to the Bad Emperor, so even though he wasn't a protector, he was a "husband". Elmal, however, served as husband-protector while Orlanth was exiled and possibly during the Lightbringers' Quest (when he was "dead") though in Esrolia I believe they identify Ernalda as Ginna Jar and the secret leader of the quest. Of course a part of Ernalda was warmed by hearth-Elmal while another part lay in the hall of the dead gods, given that she has many aspects.

Or at least I see it that way.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

Recall also that the Bad Emperor is associated with the sky and fire, but is not identified as the Sun by traditionalist Orlanthi.

This may have been true for the Dawn Age, but i think that it is more likely that modern Orlanthi identify the sun as whatever deity plays that role in the particular myth rather than always identifying it with one particular god. Mythology is often contradictory.