So I'm revisiting this magic system because a player in my group wants to give it a shot.

Rule of 4 for POWPOW=Spell Level

Duration: rounds in POW

Area of Effect:POWx10 yards or 1 target

So I'm curious as to what possible glyph/sphere combos people have come up with for spells.

Also a question: Some spells given as example on the Advanced Sorcery book are permanent, like Healing as example, while others are based on POW in rounds. How do you differentiate? 

I kinda decided (maybe) that expending a permanent point of POW per MP required in casting will allow a spell to persist continuously, but this isn't really fair for spells that heal or say remove a disease. 

Also would damaging spells, like Creation Fire on a target do damage for the entire duration of POW in rounds? There's a lot of holes in the mechanic. Opinions? 

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I think the original Magic World allowed you spend POW to keep spells going; the caster would get the POW back when the spell terminated. As you say that's not quite fair for healing spells. However those spells are actually enhancing the target's own healing abilities for the duration of the spell, so terminating the spell won't actually stop the person from healing or reverse the healing that has taken place up to that point, just stop the magical acceleration of the process.

I quite like the POW-for-permanency idea (though of course none of it lasts after the wizard's death). A wizard with many active spells may have not much POW for new ones.

Questbird! I never thought of magical healing as accelerating the targets natural healing process!

Not sure thats how the spell READS but I like it. :)

Sometimes I think I've been doing this so long I can see the tree because of the woods. So simple. Thanks!

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects