Magic World Firearms

tegeus

I am setting Magic World Adventures in an old rundown world with varying levels of technology.  There is magic but there are also black powder firearms.  I borrowed the black powder weapons from RQ6 Firearms. I included the rules for Reload, Sneak Peak (AGLx5 or exposed), Steady weapon (+20% to hit), Take Cover, Damage weapon and Dual Firearms (-20% to hit for both to attack same rank).  Also I have firearms bypass armour of the available to this setting types and make parry and dodge useless.

Any thoughts.  Has anyone else created rules for firearms in MW.

4 hours ago, tegeus said:

Also I have firearms bypass armour of the available to this setting types and make parry and dodge useless

Totally bypass all armor? I thought, IRL, there was a historical point where firearms were weaker and armor started being made thicker... including a maker's mark where a gun would be fired into the armor to prove it 'bulletproof'? Till the firearms got more powerful and the armor was getting too thick to wear.

Not that I know much about firearms or armor... but I think I'd let the armor retain at least some protection.

Also, seeing as magic melee weapons are a common feature of fantasy RPGs I think it would be cool to have some magic firearms... spells cast on ammunition or alchemical widgits in the gunpowder... 'spell guns' of various sorts.

9 hours ago, Simlasa said:

Totally bypass all armor?

I think that given the amount of time it takes a load a weapon (4 rounds).  The most shots a firearm will manage in melee is one.  So bypassing armour does not seem as unbalancing.  Maybe armour protection should just be reduced?

10 hours ago, tegeus said:

I think that given the amount of time it takes a load a weapon (4 rounds).  The most shots a firearm will manage in melee is one.  So bypassing armour does not seem as unbalancing.

I tend not to care much about 'balance' and favor plausibility instead. How likely do I think it would be for a black powder firearm to penetrate a steel helmet or cuirass... that's what I'd go by. Such armor (and weapons) might be too expensive for the average person to afford... so might be rare.

Blood Tide also has black powder weapons, and quite a variety of them, though I think it uses standard BRP rules. There's a rule from Swords of Cydoria which says that all primitive armours are half strength vs. firearms, which I find works pretty well.

40 minutes ago, Questbird said:

Blood Tide also has black powder weapons, and quite a variety of them, though I think it uses standard BRP rules. There's a rule from Swords of Cydoria which says that all primitive armours are half strength vs. firearms, which I find works pretty well.

I bought Renaissance and the rules looks to be more or less in line with what I came up with.  Except armour offers half protection against firearms.

2 hours ago, Simlasa said:

I tend not to care much about 'balance' and favor plausibility instead. How likely do I think it would be for a black powder firearm to penetrate a steel helmet or cuirass... that's what I'd go by. Such armor (and weapons) might be too expensive for the average person to afford... so might be rare.

I just don't want firearm combat to be too deadly.

Guest Vile Traveller

You might want to have a look at my Striker! guns conversions for RQ3 in the downloads section. It's SF, but blackpowder should be easy to extrapolate. I use a penetration value, equal to the number of armour points ignored by a particular weapon/ ammo combo. I wouldn't give blackpowder weapons much pen., though.

5 hours ago, tegeus said:

I have the same issue in my Swords of Cydoria pulp swords-and-blasters science fantasy campaign. You can make Heroic characters who boldly stride into a hail of bullets. In my case, I am using a hitpointless combat system which allows for mowing down mooks but also provides a bit of ambiguity when it comes to player death.

19 hours ago, tegeus said:

I'd favor going with making the smoothbore firearms inaccurate, with bad or no sights... and there's that big plume of smoke to deal with. It's not 'heroic' if you know the bullets won't hurt too bad even if they connect... but half damage seems like a decent compromise.

Edited by Simlasa