Runequest at Gencon

ShawnLStroud

All:

It looks very much like Runequest is making a comeback at Gencon this year!  If you're going to Gencon, and you want to play Runequest, you have several opportunities.  

As a first-time Gencon GM (I'm running The Taking of Talford), I'm excited to see how things turn out for us all.  I invite any and all of you to join me or any of the other Runequest GMs for a fantastic game!

• Like 3

Belgath:

I've wish listed you, as well!  Looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out. 

One of my frustrations last year was the paucity of Runequest games available -- hence my putting a game together for the Con.

See you, one way or another, at the table!

3 hours ago, Baragei said:

It is interesting to note that all the events are RQ6 - which will, at the time of playing, no longer be the official RuneQuest.

Weren't Chaosium planning on showing off the new RQ7 at GenCon?  

Baragei:

Back in January, when I put together my game for the convention, I had no idea RQ6 wouldn't be the official Runequest.  Gencon requires an event planner to commit to a course of action very early in the year in order to publish a (fairly extensive) guide to the con in magazine format (seriously, the thing is massive -- with TINY print). To my knowledge, as I was entering the details of my games for the con, the decisions that lead to Chaosium developing a new edition of the game that more closely adhered to their best version hadn't even been made.  

That said, I sincerely HOPE their latest version of my favorite game is available at Gencon; I've laid money aside to purchase it -- and have been following their blog to get an idea of where they're going with the development!

Hope to see you there!

Chances are that you won't see me there, the investment and travel time across the pond are a wee bit on the heavy side.

And by all means, having RQ6/Mythras exposed like this is great. I just hope Chaosium, for their own sake, has a leaflet ready for the wut's of people coming from your games to their stand.

With all the different version of RQ and BRP I always taken the parts I like and moved forward RQ6 is my favorite so far to jest strikes the right balance for me. But with that being stated I will continue to buy all the new RQ stuff love Glorantha and The Mythras products.  

3 minutes ago, Belgath said:

I will continue to buy all the new RQ stuff love Glorantha and The Mythras products. 

Me too, I'll continue to buy all the Mythras stuff as well. (Their rule book and mythic britain are just such gorgeous and quality books.) Most of my Glorantha RQ2 adventures have been RQ6 adventures repurposed to RQ2 Glorantha.

• Like 1

With all the different version of RQ and BRP I always taken the parts I like and moved forward RQ6 is my favorite so far to jest strikes the right balance for me. But with that being stated I will continue to buy all the new RQ stuff love Glorantha and The Mythras products.

Probably the healthiest view point.  I've never understood the "I have to take a side!" tribalism, whether it's between RPG rule sets, favorite MMO, or local sports team.

• Like 1

It seems that Gen Con is a bit nervous about the number of Runequest game runing this year do to The lack of  events in the past so I hope there's a good showing. Have always been surprised that RQ BRP etc. etc. has not been more popular.

On May 10, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Belgath said:

Shawn have you marked to my wish list. And will be picking up tickets first thing. I waited to long last year a mist out.

And I missed out again. Was able to get one of games in. Maybe we need to get a GMing group together for RuneQuest 6/Mythras and RQGrloratha. 

• 3 weeks later...
On May 10, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Baragei said:

It is interesting to note that all the events are RQ6 - which will, at the time of playing, no longer be the official RuneQuest.

Weren't Chaosium planning on showing off the new RQ7 at GenCon?  

I will be showing off the new RQ at GenCon. We are having a panel to go over it, walk through the rules, etc. I'm not going to run a session of it, as running games at GenCon is not a very good use of my time (much as I'd like to do it). 

• Like 4

We plan on recording all of Chaosium's 5 seminars at Gen Con this year. They are all in the Gen Con Event catalog, and are scheduled for Thursday and Friday evening.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 6/1/2016 at 4:33 PM, Rick Meints said:

We plan on recording all of Chaosium's 5 seminars at Gen Con this year. They are all in the Gen Con Event catalog, and are scheduled for Thursday and Friday evening.

And will those recordings then be available on Chaosium website?  errr... once you get back and have the necessary recovery time, of course!

I ask because some events get pissy about "their" content (which paid attendee's got) being available "free" elsewhere.

C'es ne pas un .sig

They will probably be available on youtube. That's where all the previous Gen Con seminars of ours have ended up being found.

We have no concerns, qualms, or issues, with the seminar being distributed like that. It was free to attend. No exclusivity.

• Like 4

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

We have no concerns, qualms, or issues, with the seminar being distributed like that. It was free to attend. No exclusivity.

Aren't those seminars (at least nominally) limited to paid GenCon attendees?  I was thinking the restriction would come from them, not you...

But since the prior ones have gone up without objection, I see no reason to expect different this time 'round...

C'es ne pas un .sig