The tickets are free

The tickets to the seminars are free.

SEM1686383 - Dragon Pass - Mythology, Magic, & Board Games

SEM1686379 - RuneQuest - 50th Anniversary of Glorantha

SEM1686377 - What's Happening At Chaosium

SEM1686383 - Dragon Pass - Mythology, Magic, & Board Games

SEM16100245 - Cult of Chaos

On 5/15/2016 at 11:12 AM, Belgath said:

It seems that Gen Con is a bit nervous about the number of Runequest game runing this year do to The lack of  events in the past so I hope there's a good showing. Have always been surprised that RQ BRP etc. etc. has not been more popular.

I have found Runequest difficult to run at conventions, especially for people who have never played it before. It is not as easy to pick up and play as many of the modern game systems its now competing with. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texarkana said:

I have found Runequest difficult to run at conventions, especially for people who have never played it before. It is not as easy to pick up and play as many of the modern game systems its now competing with. 

???

Really?  Glorantha can, admittedly, not be shown to best advantage with newbies in a few-hour timeslot.  But the basic game/rules is... startlingly easy.  I've used it with middle-schoolers who had never played RPG's before, and we were up and running within a few minutes.  I'm really surprised!

Where have you seen the problems?

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

???

Really?  Glorantha can, admittedly, not be shown to best advantage with newbies in a few-hour timeslot.  But the basic game/rules is... startlingly easy.  I've used it with middle-schoolers who had never played RPG's before, and we were up and running within a few minutes.  I'm really surprised!

Where have you seen the problems?

Most of my problems were with RQ6 - the maths required to adjust skill levels with difficulty grades, then dividing another skill/passion by five to get an augmentation, it all made peoples brains melt. Then the long time required to choose special effects in combat (there are just too many to choose from). When I ran "Asterix and the Deep Ones" using CoC 7th edition last year, that take on d100 was much easier for people to grasp. Less edition specific - the RQ character sheets were old school in how they communicate information to players - the actual character gets hidden by the amount of detail on the sheet. For the Asterix game I built my own character sheet and ruthlessly pruned away peripheral information.

Where I live in New Zealand, conventions games are largely drawn from the story focused games published in the last decade. It is unusual even to see a D&D game on a convention listing. So when I ran the RQ game I had a bunch of players who really didn't want to be playing an old fashioned physics simulation, and my game was not their first choice of play for the session. I could have pitched my game better, but for me its currently holding the prize for least amount of fun GM'ing at a con.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Texarkana said:

Most of my problems were with RQ6 - the maths required to adjust skill levels with difficulty grades, then dividing another skill/passion by five to get an augmentation, it all made peoples brains melt. Then the long time required to choose special effects in combat (there are just too many to choose from). When I ran "Asterix and the Deep Ones" using CoC 7th edition last year, that take on d100 was much easier for people to grasp. Less edition specific - the RQ character sheets were old school in how they communicate information to players - the actual character gets hidden by the amount of detail on the sheet. For the Asterix game I built my own character sheet and ruthlessly pruned away peripheral information.

Where I live in New Zealand, conventions games are largely drawn from the story focused games published in the last decade. It is unusual even to see a D&D game on a convention listing. So when I ran the RQ game I had a bunch of players who really didn't want to be playing an old fashioned physics simulation, and my game was not their first choice of play for the session. I could have pitched my game better, but for me its currently holding the prize for least amount of fun GM'ing at a con.

Then you're going to like the newest version of RQ way more.

Now I have only GM 3 Runequest Games at Cons and it went vary easy and a lot of fun one of the group was mostly 13 to 16 year olds and thay all had a blast. And the players had no problems with the 2ed grade math concepts. Glorantha can be a bit more daunting, but I suspect that people that already love that setting will be the ones signing up for it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2016 at 3:30 AM, ShawnLStroud said:

That said, I sincerely HOPE their latest version of my favorite game is available at Gencon; I've laid money aside to purchase it -- and have been following their blog to get an idea of where they're going with the development!

If you're coming to Gen Con, we're now running two four-hour sessions of the new RuneQuest - one of the first opportunities to try out the eagerly-anticipated new edition currently in development. Search for the event "Ears of the Bull".

• Like 5

O cool on it thanks for the heads up.

Well crap my event that I am running are in the way. But was able to sign my son up for it. He will haft to tell me all about it. Thank you for adding the events.

Edited by Belgath
Added info.

Here's a list of the stuff we're planning to have available for purchase at Gen Con. Come by Chaosium Booth #423 early, because if the recent UK Games Expo is any guide, we're sure to sell out of just about everything by the close of the convention!

RuneQuest Classic Edition:
- RuneQuest 2 Classic Hardcover
- RuneQuest 2 Bundle 
- RuneQuest 2 Leatherette (limited copies)
- RuneQuest 2 Leatherette Bundle (limited copies)
- RuneQuest 2 Old School RQ Pack

HeroQuest
- HeroQuest Glorantha

Chaosium Fiction:
- King of Sartar by Greg Stafford
- Edge of Sundown 
- Mark of the Beast
- Legacy of the Reanimator
- Cassilda's Song (nominated for two 2016 World Fantasy Awards)

Call of Cthulhu:
- Keeper Rulebook Hardcover
- Keeper Rulebook Leather
- Keepers Rulebook Softcover
- Investigator Handbook Hardcover
- Investigator Handbook Leather
- Investigator Handbook Softcover
- Call of Cthulhu Leatherette Slipcase Set (limited copies)
- Call of Cthulhu Paperback Slipcase Set (limited copies)
- Keeper Screen (limited copies)
- Peterson Guide - Hardcover
- Petersen Guide - Softcover
- Horror on the Orient Express
- Nameless Horrors
- Cold Harvest
- Ripples From Carcosa
- Dice Set

Two questions 

Will Steve Perrin and Grege be at Gen Con? If so I'll bring my kick starter RuneQuest two book to be signed.

Also having pick up all the PDF for  new CoC 7th edition as the Books where not available yet. If I pick up the hard Coppys at GenCon will the cost of the PDF  be credited against the cost of the hard Coppys or do I need to do that through the website?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the "convention special" prices at the Chaosium booth #423. Note, all purchases include PDF - just let us know which email you want the files to go to.

SPECIAL GEN CON PRICES

Call of Cthulhu:
- Keeper Rulebook Hardcover - $50.00
- Keeper Rulebook Leather - $150.00
- Keepers Rulebook Softcover - $35.00
- Investigator Handbook Hardcover - $40.00
- Investigator Handbook Leather - $125.00
- Investigator Handbook Softcover - $30.00
- Call of Cthulhu Leatherette Slipcase Set (limited copies, inc. Keeper Screen) - $300.00
- Call of Cthulhu Hardcover Slipcase Set (limited copies, inc. Keeper Screen) - $130.00
- Keeper Screen (limited copies) - $30.00
- Peterson Guide - Hardcover - $30.00
- Petersen Guide - Softcover - $25.00
- Horror on the Orient Express - $100.00
- Nameless Horrors - $35.00
- Cold Harvest - $10.00
- Ripples From Carcosa - $20.00
- Alone Against the Flames - $5.00
- 7th Edition Quickstart Rules - $5.00
- Dice Set - $5.00
- Innsmouth Gold coins - $10.00
- Horror on the Orient Express Playing Cards - $5.00

RuneQuest Classic Edition:
- RuneQuest 2 Classic Hardcover - $25.00
- RuneQuest 2 Hardcover Bundle (inc GM Screen and Player Handouts) - $30.00
- RuneQuest 2 Leatherette (limited copies) - $45.00
- RuneQuest 2 Leatherette Bundle (limited copies) - $50.00
- RuneQuest 2 Old School RQ Pack - $40.00
- Gloranthan Classics - $25.00
- Apple Lane - $10.00
- Snakepipe Hollow - $12.50
- RuneQuest 1 - $20.00

HeroQuest:
- HeroQuest Glorantha - $25.00

Glorantha
- Argar Argar Atlas Softcover - $20.00
- Argar Argar Atlas Hardcover - $30.00
- Guide to Glorantha (extremely limited copies) - $200.00

Chaosium Fiction:
- King of Sartar by Greg Stafford - $20.00
- Edge of Sundown - $15.00
- Mark of the Beast - $15.00
- Legacy of the Reanimator - $15.00
- Cassilda's Song (dual 2016 World Fantasy Awards nominee) - $15.00
- Fiction bundle (Edge, Mark, Legacy, Cassilda) - $45.00

On 6/11/2016 at 3:11 AM, Texarkana said:

Dump the passions.  Those didn't exist in previous editions, why use them now?  I use the difficulty modifiers from MRQ2: -10, -20, -30, -40, etc.  Much easier math.  I've considered NOT rounding up for the critical chance, compare to the 10s digit (75% has a 7% chance to crit).  You could probably go back to old RQ with special effects: they only happen on a crit, double the damage.  

In short, don't use all the messy details when teaching RQ to new players.  You can add those back in later.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2016 at 1:53 PM, Belgath said:

Will Steve Perrin and Grege be at Gen Con? If so I'll bring my kick starter RuneQuest two book to be signed.

As it happens, both Greg and Steve were at Gen Con so I hope you got your book signed... here they are catching up at the Chaosium booth

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 12.50.38 pm.png

• Like 5