MOB

Just wondering if anyone has played (or read through) Greg Stafford's RQ Classic scenario The Sea Cave yet and what do you think - has it stood the test of time?

(BTW, a short while ago Rick added four more pages to the file, which now includes Greg's pre-Griffin Mountain version of the Cacodemon Cult. These extra pages are in the print version that is in production now, and are also in the downloadable file available to backers who bought the Old School RuneQuest Pack.)

Sea-Cave-Cover.jpg

Edited by MOB

3 hours ago, MOB said:

Just wondering if anyone has played (or read through) Greg Stafford's RQ Classic scenario The Sea Cave yet and what do you think - has it stood the test of time?

In my opinion, let's just say that RQ scenarios have advanced a lot over the years.

It is, however, a good example of early Chaosium RQ scenarios, before the heyday of Pavis/Big Rubble, Borderlands, TrollPack and Griffin Mountain.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Belgath said:

Pavis/Big Rubble, Borderlands, TrollPack and Griffin Mountain are some of the best scenarios I have ever played through. But I think ill haft to add the Sea Cave in to my currant RQ Glorantha campaign "Scar of the Cradle"   

Okay, so want to hear what the Scar of the Cradle is about. Can you make a thread about your campaign?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

While we have the chance to do at least 2 or 3 more "unpublished" scenarios like the Sea Cave, it seems like there isn't much interest in doing them in this OSR format. Is that how those that have seen the Sea Cave feel?

As for which ones are in the hopper, we have the Howling Tower, Miskander's Tower, and an Aldryami one.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

8 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

While we have the chance to do at least 2 or 3 more "unpublished" scenarios like the Sea Cave, it seems like there isn't much interest in doing them in this OSR format. Is that how those that have seen the Sea Cave feel?

Rick I think the early RQ scenarios like Apple Lane, Sea Cave, etc may be better received if presented in a collected format, perhaps as an OSR omnibus.

Just my two cents. 

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Just now, jongjom said:

Definitely not OSR format!

It was nice to have the reprints and the Sea Cave, but others ones should be complete scenarios with Chaosium's new format style. Also in RQC4 rules. IMHO

OSR format only takes a few weeks. To get them updated, fully fleshed out, and in the new RQ format means you will wait much longer for them. 

Hope that Helps,

2 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

OSR format only takes a few weeks. To get them updated, fully fleshed out, and in the new RQ format means you will wait much longer for them. 

OSR format risks making RQ look cheap and out of date, especially to the extra shiny new CoC. Continuing with the OSR format could overextend the nostalgia vibe to the detriment of RQ.

If you are already saying there doesn't seem to be much interest in this format I cannot see the reason to persist.

Right now I am wondering about the relative silence, so I asked the question. I don't fear these looking cheap or out of date, since they cater to a specialized OSR market, and would mainly be sold directly to those that like that sort of thing. I don't think the latest and newest edition of D&D took any hits from WOTC/Hasbro doing special versions of the original edition boxed set and such. As for whether it's worth our time, that is a different matter. Lastly, doing an OSR version doesn't preclude fully fleshing them out and doing a new Runequest version in the future. All food for thought.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,

I think the OSR format may serve the RQ Classic line quite well, especially for the very early scenarios, although if buying a printed version then I would look for a collection under one cover if possible.

I think some of the big products like the titles covered by the previous RQ2 Gloranthan Classic hardcovers may be great if they were updated to CRQ4 at some stage, unless the stat blocks are so similar that it makes it an almost pointless exercise.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

7 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

As for which ones are in the hopper, we have the Howling Tower, Miskander's Tower, and an Aldryami one.

I'd likely buy them in pdf format for ideas/inspiration.  I think the format works fine for those who want more of Classic RQ2.  They can be expanded on subsequently if it makes sense to do so.

My two clacks....(Delecti's) Howling Tower sounds like a winner for a full product, either OSR or updated for new RQ4, but would likely depend on how full the infos were. The hints from the Sartar books always seemed as if it (the Howling Tower) were part of a larger campaign hinted at, (or could be made from it). Be interested to see how much there was to it and what much could be expanded on and possibly integrated with the WF 15/TOTRM 19 infos. Would love to launch a campaign with the area as a center piece.

Upland Marsh Cover base.pdf

• Like 2

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2016 at 4:38 AM, Rick Meints said:

I'd definitely like to see the Howling Tower. I would probably prefer them collected into one supplement though.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

(shrug) Personally, I think republishing in OSR format might be a quick way for Chaosium to make a buck, but the smarter move would be to have them updated, polished to 2016 publishing standards, and queued to release simultaneous with RQ4.  IMO nothing is more critical to the release of a new rule set than supplements being widely and immediately available.

My fantasy pipe dream would be that concurrent with RQ4's release, we'd have one or even two significant campaign supplements of the caliber of RQ3-heydey products: Sun County, River of Cradles, or at least as substantial as Shadows on the Borderlands.  Those were all *magnificent* supplements, and I think much of the material we're talking about could well be compiled into a SotB-style product focused on Dragon Pass (or a part of it) with a relative minimum of effort.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, styopa said:

Old school rules, ie un-updated.

Most people use it as "Old School Revival."

The main attention is usually around D&D retroclones of rules from the pre-AD&D1e era.  We here in BRP'dom have an alternate rule-set from that era!  😉

I presume there are other niches of "OSR" too...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, 10baseT said:

Hi Folks, was there ever a decision on these? ('cause i'd still buy them OSR or redone).

I would probably buy them, too.  Most likely as OSR pdf's -- as cheap as I can get them -- because I don't find lasting value (warranting hardcopy) in purely adventure/module products.

At this point, I'd think Chaosium would do well to wait for the RQG orders to stop rolling in so fast, then use THOSE orders to send a little survey (maybe offer $1 Store Credit?) asking about the products vs OSR version; AND send a parallel survey to the RQClassic backers, asking about interest in the OSR product vs the NewShiny RQG variant.

Then decide which/both/neither is worth doing ...

C'es ne pas un .sig