MOB

I like the omnibus idea, though I'd hope for RQG stats rather than RQ2 (even if the rest of the text is basically the same). Soft or hardcover, it'd be a nice reference book to go meandering through. I personally don't have much interest in PDF copies or the packet-y bundles.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

5 hours ago, styopa said:

Old school rules, ie un-updated.

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Most people use it as "Old School Revival."

The main attention is usually around D&D retroclones of rules from the pre-AD&D1e era.  We here in BRP'dom have an alternate rule-set from that era!  😉

I presume there are other niches of "OSR" too...

Thanks!

2 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

IMHO all the RQ2 and RQ3 books should be updated to RQG and be republished in Aldryami version. 

My hope is that Chaosium have so much original RQG material in the works that they just don’t have the bandwidth to reheat the old stuff that way.

Id much rather have a brand new Pavis supplement, fully updated to the new timeline and rules set, than yet another reprint of the old one with RQG stats.

• Like 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

7 minutes ago, simonh said:

My hope is that Chaosium have so much original RQG material in the works that they just don’t have the bandwidth to reheat the old stuff that way.

Id much rather have a brand new Pavis supplement, fully updated to the new timeline and rules set, than yet another reprint of the old one with RQG stats.

Since none of the RQ2 books were ever translated into german, and only two RQ3 Glorantha Supplements were (Apple Lane, Gods of Glorantha), my hope is that at some point all the glorious supplements will be available in german language. 
Since we don´t have a nostalgic past with RQ as the english speaking part of the world has, an RQ Classic line wouldn´t work in germany.
So my only hope is that the RQ2 and RQ3 books will be republished updated for RQG, so that we can get these books in german language as well. :-)

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 1

OSR means Old School Renaissance, it began during the decline of popularity of D&D 4e, and was bumped up by usage of OGL of 3.5 D&D to create Retro Clones of AD&D and BECMI D&D. This fostered an interest in the games of yester year. Back in the 2010-2015 there were multitudes of these clones running around. Most Notably OSRIC, Basic Fantasy, Labrynth Lord. But it also lead to developments of games that maintain that old school flavor, ala Dungeon Crawl Classics. Such a shame that Chaosium did not get their crap together in time to really shine on that initial jump.  What I gather though is that the hobby waxes and wanes, It has surges of popularity then a pop. The huge issue is the mass extinction of the brick and mortar stores. At least of the classic variety.  That may have more to do with, lax customer service, and general hygiene and approachability of the staff, as well as a lot of our ilk who see them as watering holes, to chew the cud with other gamers and comic nerds. That and most of the ones I knew of were never in the best of locations. Some locations even started a table fee, that could be off set by instore purchases.

But to answer the OSR or not to OSR question, I have to say is... Do a wink and a nod to OSR, but definitely clean up the documents and fix some of the art.  Apple Lane was sold as this fabulous product, and there isn't enough art to get me into the right frame of mind, and the maps are a little hard to read.   the most important is this... Chaosium, you guys make great words.  The worlds you crafted are amazing. That said, while the games rules are spot on.  The Covers and dear god the typography are absolutely terrible for Applelane.  The Scenario it self is fine.  Definitely needs a clean up and expansion for RQG.

That Said, RuneQuest Glorantha, is a gorgeous book.  The Bestiary needs more art though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/11/2016 at 8:38 PM, Rick Meints said:

While we have the chance to do at least 2 or 3 more "unpublished" scenarios like the Sea Cave, it seems like there isn't much interest in doing them in this OSR format. Is that how those that have seen the Sea Cave feel?

As for which ones are in the hopper, we have the Howling Tower, Miskander's Tower, and an Aldryami one.

I hope thread necromancy is ok, I'm sure Delecti would approve...

I just realized, the Howling Tower was actually published... It's in The Dungeoneer magazine issue #11, p.46. The map is taken from Judges Guild's Citadel of Fire. It doesn't give stats, instead mostly borrowing from Balastor's Baracks. The descriptions of what is in it match the rumors mentioned in Sartar Kingdom of Heroes or the Tales of the Reaching Moon issue #19.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ffilz said:

I hope thread necromancy is ok, I'm sure Delecti would approve...

I just realized, the Howling Tower was actually published... It's in The Dungeoneer magazine issue #11, p.46. The map is taken from Judges Guild's Citadel of Fire. It doesn't give stats, instead mostly borrowing from Balastor's Baracks. The descriptions of what is in it match the rumors mentioned in Sartar Kingdom of Heroes or the Tales of the Reaching Moon issue #19.

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/judges-guild/the-dungeoneer-magazine/dungeoneer-the-11/

Looking again at my copy, it's more about Greg using one of their products and mashing it together quick with some BB stats and some he had handy. I wouldn't get too excited.

The real adventure based on the maps (which were modified) and all the denizens was published in Unpublished RuneQuest Volume 3 as part of the Classic Kickstarter at High Priest level and above.

RQ-Dragon-Pass-cover-front.jpg.76d2606b9f52c94ea368a709d9bb0bb4.jpg

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

5 hours ago, David Scott said:

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/judges-guild/the-dungeoneer-magazine/dungeoneer-the-11/

Looking again at my copy, it's more about Greg using one of their products and mashing it together quick with some BB stats and some he had handy. I wouldn't get too excited.

The real adventure based on the maps (which were modified) and all the denizens was published in Unpublished RuneQuest Volume 3 as part of the Classic Kickstarter at High Priest level and above.

Is there ANY hope of the Unpublished RuneQuest being made available in PDF form? I absolutely could not justify the expense of the High Priest level but in this digital age, it seems a shame to limit availability of information in that way.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2016 at 5:38 AM, Rick Meints said:

While we have the chance to do at least 2 or 3 more "unpublished" scenarios like the Sea Cave, it seems like there isn't much interest in doing them in this OSR format. Is that how those that have seen the Sea Cave feel?

As for which ones are in the hopper, we have the Howling Tower, Miskander's Tower, and an Aldryami one.

I think the current format is fine. It reminds you that these are really old, and that you have to set your expectations right. They would probably suffer from being modernized, unless there’s a complete overhaul to make them fit into modern expectations, and at that point, I would rather have new material instead.

1 hour ago, ffilz said:

Is there ANY hope of the Unpublished RuneQuest being made available in PDF form? I absolutely could not justify the expense of the High Priest level but in this digital age, it seems a shame to limit availability of information in that way.

We have no plans to make it available as a PDF. Jeff and Jason have been using the info found in those "unpublished" books as the basis of some of the scenario material in forthcoming adventure books.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

49 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

We have no plans to make it available as a PDF. Jeff and Jason have been using the info found in those "unpublished" books as the basis of some of the scenario material in forthcoming adventure books.

I haven't looked at any of the new scenarios, I suppose an RQG scenario shouldn't be too hard to back port to RQ1/2, but it sure would be cool to have any original RQ1/2 stats for things and not lose skill ratings for skills that don't map 1 to 1. That may not be too much of an issue with the early stats other than perhaps loss of Ambush and Sense Ambush skills from RQ1, but then I have to account for those being missing in most of the published scenarios anyway.

Other stuff like early sorcery rules would be really nice to see. I have one version of the early sorcery rules as published in The Wild Hunt. On the other hand, I can probably live without them.

Maybe someday I'll get to visit someone who has the unpublished books and have a chance to peruse them (I could arrange for my employer to fly me to Ann Arbor when air travel is reasonable again.... my 2nd line manager and a co-worker are based there...).

Edited by ffilz

As an update to The Sea Cave, i'm writing a hook for it in my Jonstown submission with a fleshed out setup to it (with the GM encouraged to purchase it in order to follow the hook.). I also suggested some changes in the setup and included an updated cave map since there were multiple. (It's in the Brackmarsh/Kenstone island area). PCs will definitely fear the water... (if you're armored anyways, or have a poor Swim... or actually if you have a fear of being pulled under even.)

(FWIW, i'd still happily purchase the other scenarios in their raw or OSR format... it's new and i can tune it up then run it. I also think more would not purchase as RQG has gained a lot of traction since when this thread initially started.)

Edited by 10baseT

On 7/1/2020 at 9:14 AM, Rick Meints said:

I too would love to take a look at this older material... but OTOH, there was a sort of implicit exclusivity to those higher tiers of the KS.

Maybe after 5+ years, or somesuch arbitrary timeframe ... ?

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/12/2016 at 4:38 AM, Rick Meints said:

I’d take the OSR content over waiting a) out of curiosity and some nostalgia b) published scenarios are often changed slightly before actual play, to match the style of the table, fit in to a campaign, etc. It is the ideas and general creativity I use.

For instance I ran one of the scenarios from the Pegasus Plateau two weeks ago and changed about 50%, not a criticism, it just needed to be changed to fit in. So my 2 pence is to publish, there would be nothing stopping them from being updated later.

On 9/25/2018 at 5:48 AM, AndreJarosch said:

Since none of the RQ2 books were ever translated into german, and only two RQ3 Glorantha Supplements were (Apple Lane, Gods of Glorantha), my hope is that at some point all the glorious supplements will be available in german language. 

You and Joerg need to talk!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 2 months later...

I know I’d be interested in them, especially in the same format as Sea Cave.  But then I was a GM back in the early 80s and am totally fine with the old school format; don’t need gloss and fluff, just the core content.  

FWIW I’m going to transfer the Sea Cave to the Elf Sea and use it as part of the characters’ journey up into the Elder Wilds.  As far as the Howling Tower goes, weren’t there rumors of a vampire presence up in the Gork Hills?  I plan to put the Hellpits of Nightfang near there, but perhaps there might be more to the rumors...

Why not make them part of the new POD effort?