A Question About Broo

Viktor

I understand that when broo er, propagate the offspring are part the parent broo and part host animal, with obvious odd hybridisation and chaos mutations in many cases. E.g. a chicken broo that uses a cow would presumably make a horned chicken or a cow with a beak maybe. 

So what happens when broo use humans as a host? Let's say a goat broo used a person as host?

"Let's say a goat broo used a person as host?"

I think there'd be a lot more lawsuits against AirB&B, and other Sturm-symp attacks on the sharing economy.

Or more immediately, you'd have an incredibly obnoxious normal-looking human, one forever trying to find and seize its unspeakable heritage. It would be a chaos-beast always trying to get your goat.

• Like 1

Given that Broo's "hybridize" so readily -- but still have a "norm" of the goat-headed anthroform -- I presume there's some "pull" back to that basic form.

I'd guess that if one of these "baseline" Broo were to mate with a human, the result would be some intergrade form -- largely human-looking, but with small horns, floppy ears, a long face with lots of space between eyes & nose but little between noose and chin/mouth...  Or maybe both human and goat "breed true" to baseline Broo?

C'es ne pas un .sig

So either just a true breed to baseline or some sort of horribly inbred, vaguely goat-like person? Yeah that makes sense to be fair!

I am now envisaging a furred human with horns, really badly arranged facial features and as both broo and humans are very susceptible to mutation, probably other dire mutational features.

Edited by Viktor

One thing I have always wondered about was female broo.. Granted only about 15% of all Broo are female but how do they breed? Can they mate with anything and do they suffer Broo Birth? And do male Broo have taboos against raping female Broo. I tend to think there is some taboo against raping female Broo or none would live past a year.

Also what would happen if one of the more intelligent Broo leader started a breeding program where he bred a  Broo with a human and then bred the broo that resulted  with another human and so forth  for a few generations?

Edited by TRose

Chaos always breeds strong. Nothing like our world genetics.

Mate with a human and you get goat Broo.

Mate with cow you get cow broo.

Cow broo with human you get cow broo or goat broo.

Chicken broo with a bison broo gets either an odd mix or back to goat.

13 hours ago, D said:

If I remember correctly, isn't Muria in 'A tale to tell', a human/broo?

At the very least, she is a human on her way to broodom - something usually only rapists undergo.

I am uncertain whether broo regard other broo as possible partners for a mating. Remember that broos don't care about the gender of the mother/host of their larva. If they went after weaker broo, they'd be buggering one another all the time.

But then, maybe they do, but broo might have a working defense against a broo larva forming within their flesh.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I read somewhere that female broo tend not to reproduce as they always undergo broobirth, with the baby broo eating its way out.

My view of broo society is that of the weakest broo being the butt of all the others, so to speak.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

As far as Muriah there a few things about her that I find interesting.

First she is sterile. Now since Broo can mate with both male and female , young and old and even plants and the fertility of their targets most of the time does not seem to matter,  How come not with Muriah? And you can bet almost all the male Broo tried and many several times to get her pregnant.

Also some of Muriah  broos where mated pairs/couple if I remember right. Which seem to go against normal Broo practice.

The second she was illuminated by her parents. Now how do two dirt farmers in the River of Cradles know anything about illumination?

For the second I had an idea. After the fall of the Bright Empire a number of Illuminati fled to the River of Cradles and hid among the Dirt farmers to save their lives.. Although the normal peasant could have pointed out the strangers, no one ask them  or gave them a second look. . And for generations the Illuminati lived on the edges of these villages secretly passing on their knowledge to their childern while remaining hidden..

Of course it could have jut been a passing Lunar going down river, but secret cults are more fun.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TRose said:

As far as Muriah there a few things about her that I find interesting.

First she is sterile. Now since Broo can mate with both male and female , young and old and even plants and the fertility of their targets most of the time does not seem to matter,  How come not with Muriah? And you can bet almost all the male Broo tried and many several times to get her pregnant.

Also some of Muriah  broos where mated pairs/couple if I remember right. Which seem to go against normal Broo practice.

The second she was illuminated by her parents. Now how do two dirt farmers in the River of Cradles know anything about illumination?

For the second I had an idea. After the fall of the Bright Empire a number of Illuminati fled to the River of Cradles and hid among the Dirt farmers to save their lives.. Although the normal peasant could have pointed out the strangers, no one ask them  or gave them a second look. . And for generations the Illuminati lived on the edges of these villages secretly passing on their knowledge to their childern while remaining hidden..

Of course it could have jut been a passing Lunar going down river, but secret cults are more fun.

Or are the oasis folk illuminated and we just don't know it yet?....

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/19/2016 at 0:41 AM, TRose said:

I tend to think there is some taboo against raping female Broo or none would live past a year.

I don't see that Broos in general have any taboos whatsoever. Small bands of Broos may be different but I would not consider taboos to be a racial trait. They are simply too chaotic and too aggresive for that. As I understand it Broo "society" is mainly based on power. That doesn't mean that all female Broos are more powerful than their male counterparts or get raped and therefore dont get raped. It can simply mean most Broos of either and all genders sometimes rape and get raped. But more often than not they would refrain from doing so because they know that their brothers and sisters are very powerful and the cost-benefit-ratio (so to speak) is insane even for Broos. That is also the reason why there are probably more goat and cattle Broos than lion and dinosaur broos in Glorantha.

As a side note, rape doesn't not only happen between male and female specimen. Rape does also happen between two males (among other things). I think that is nowhere more true than among Broos.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:41 PM, TRose said:

I tend to think there is some taboo against raping female Broo or none would live past a year.

Broos tend to lack taboos. Female broos gravitate towards the cult of Mallia as a survival strategy, because becoming gravid isn't a survival strategy for them.

The offspring of a broo and a human might be very similar to a satyr (and satyrs are sometimes mistaken as broo), or a human with a goat's head, or even a human with horns, or a Chaos horror. Chaos never gives standard results, the offspring will always display their nature somehow.

Edited by M Helsdon

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:41 PM, M Helsdon said:

Broos tend to lack taboos. Female broos gravitate towards the cult of Mallia as a survival strategy, because becoming gravid isn't a survival strategy for them.

The offspring of a broo and a human might be very similar to a satyr (and satyrs are sometimes mistaken as broo), or a human with a goat's head, or even a human with horns, or a Chaos horror. Chaos never gives standard results, the offspring will always display their nature somehow.

Well not a taboo but perhaps Broo for the most part to not have an urge to rape other Broo.   After all if the urge to rape included other Broo, would any of the weaker Broo, male or female survive?  And we know Broo raise goats. So how come a Broo  shepherd does to rape and destroy his flock in a few weeks? So a Broo I think can control his urge to rape if it is in their benefit. But then there no need to control this urge when raiding enemies.

Who can fathom how Chaos works?

I think anything speculated will always be purely that, which may be the point of the Chaos Rune. I don't think even the Lunars or God Learners could accurately measure it, let  alone really control it.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 19 May 2016 at 7:20 PM, soltakss said:

My view of broo society is that of the weakest broo being the butt of all the others, so to speak.

Just saw what you did there, heh heh :)

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

3 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Fear: his boss would at best hurt him very badly, and at worst...

But chance are his boss is a fellow Broo.. So whats to  to keep the top Broo from raping the whole flock in one week? So as I stated, the Broo Can control their desire to rape, if they see a need to. They just prefer not to.

Do we actually know that Broo herd goats? (don't recall reading that before, but my memory is terrible)

I always thought that their predilection for goats was due to goats not having herders, and being generally more available/less protected. Also, I do not think broo Need to mate with goats to maintain their common form - they are (as) naturally goat-like (as a thing of chaos can be), and usually produce goat-broo from whichever host they violate. They might also find goats especially attractive, on the "looks like me" principal.

An especially powerful, clever, and sadistic broo-chief might force his underlings to "herd" (without raping) as a sort of extended and subtle (for broo) torture - with not-so-subtle torture for the inevitable lapses. But that feels to me like an oddity, and not the norm.

A broo leader's most important job is to keep enough victims handy that his pack does not start to look inward for satisfaction. In general all the members of a particular gang will tend to be of similar strength, as each member has to be able to physically or magically able to deter any other member from trying anything.

I've wondered about this particular female broo, found in GW's version of the RQ3 Monster book.  Since I have several male broo miniatures, I checked around and got the Warmachine Cryx character Pirate Queen Skarre (PIP 34068) to be their leader.  Now to get to putting it together (ugh) and painting it.

broo female small.png

Skarre.png

Edited by GamingGlen