BRP book too late?

badcat

You have a large number of people disliking the 4'th edition rules as well. Infact, NPR even mentioned about it in their interview with one of the aintitcool people how a large number of fans are disappointed with the new changes. You can't please everybody...

I wouldn't come to the same conclusion as you regarding the story, but this quote from the story. . .

Player Jeremy Lueth says if the game gets more popular, maybe non-players will see it as a little less geeky.

. . . makes me think he and anybody else who doesn't think gaming isn't cool, can go jump in a lake.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't come to the same conclusion as you regarding the story, but this quote from the story. . .

. . . makes me think he and anybody else who doesn't think gaming isn't cool, can go jump in a lake.

I think the hobby has gotten a little more acceptance and recognition over the last decade. Especialy with the popularity of MMORPG's and celebrities like Vin Diesel and Jon Favreau mentioning the influence D&D had on them.

Honestly, it isn't society that thinks gaming isn't cool that bothers me, but the hot chick at the bar. Oh boy, how I would love to find a way to change that around. :)

. Too many Zothique stories are about some poor bastard who accepts a horrible fate to avoid a worse horrible fate. Not much whacking the bad guys to rescue the fair maiden in Zothique. Usually the maiden turned out to be the head bad guy, as it were. Some of that in Hyperborea too, it just didn't seem as prevalent.

Neither did Lovecraft's characters do to well either. Both HP and CAS were fatalists and favored that their characters lives ended in some gruesome,maddening way. But it's not always the case even in so-called grim and depressing Zothique. The protagonists in" The Charnel God"," The Black Abbot of Puthuum",“The Master of the Crabs” and “The Tomb-Spawn” do survive at the end of their tales. Heck, the two Adventures in' "Black Abbot" even kick some major undead ass and save the girl in the end. I will admit the three blokes in “The Weaver in the Vault” didn't fan out to well. Then again looking for the coffin of a dead king in the ruins of an ancient haunted city prone to earthquakes isn't the best of jobs. LoL!

I think the hobby has gotten a little more acceptance and recognition over the last decade. Especialy with the popularity of MMORPG's and celebrities like Vin Diesel and Jon Favreau mentioning the influence D&D had on them.

Honestly, it isn't society that thinks gaming isn't cool that bothers me, but the hot chick at the bar. Oh boy, how I would love to find a way to change that around. :)

I have found that many girls prefer pen and paper rpgers over online video game ones. CAUSE WE LEAVE THE HOUSE!!! Where Im stationed we have about 10 gamers in all, all but me are addicted to WOW. So when it comes time that the girls in my unit want to go to the lake or out to lunch or the park or even kayaking all they here is "Ive got a raid, cant go, bye" from them and me saying "well I have a game session, Sunday evening, but seeing as how it is Friday, Im gold." And considering that we only have about 15 males in the barracks (the rest are married or high enough ranking to live off post), that gives me a edge up.

Plus they see me read and on a post filled with infantrymen (no offense) that is a unique site.

You have a large number of people disliking the 4'th edition rules as well.

Count me in that group as well. I'm a fan of 3e. My recent 3e campaign was the only game in the last 20 years to last longer my original 2e Runequest campaign from back in the early 80s. As soon as I heard what was being "fixed" in 4e, I started looking for alternative.

That's why I'm here and why I'm waiting for the new BRP. So, in a way its not too late but just in time.

Aaron [still doesn't like what they did to Glorantha]

Very true, mrk. And CoC has been around for a while at that. There wouldn't be as much wriggle room in Zothique, I feel.

Well, Hedgehobbit, welcome to the grognard club, I guess. I ran 3.0 when it first came out, didn't enjoy it. Or 2e or even 1e for that matter, but I never tried to run 2e. I had latched on to BRP via RQ2 and Stormbringer, and then houserules mixing Magic World and Arcanum to the above two.

I don't intend to try 4e but now that I have an incipient group for BRP again I have quit :deadhorse:

But it dose have a connection with previouse CoC material as both Zothque and Hyberborea have been showcasted in a few soucebooks. So already there is some name recognition and cross pollination that the CoC fanbase might be aware of--besides being some great gaming material!!

Anyway without beating the Zothique :deadhorse: any longer. It would be nice to see some new flagship setting to go along with BRP. If it's not something from the literary world, then maybe someone's homebrew campaign? I've known some amazing GM's in my time so let's hope maybe there's someone out there who has the next Ebberon or Tekumel hidden away behind their Dungeon Masters screen.

Very true, mrk. And CoC has been around for a while at that. There wouldn't be as much wriggle room in Zothique, I feel.

Well, Hedgehobbit, welcome to the grognard club, I guess. I ran 3.0 when it first came out, didn't enjoy it. Or 2e or even 1e for that matter, but I never tried to run 2e. I had latched on to BRP via RQ2 and Stormbringer, and then houserules mixing Magic World and Arcanum to the above two.

I don't intend to try 4e but now that I have an incipient group for BRP again I have quit :deadhorse:

You know, maybe I'm the odd man out, but I'm a bit sick of "originality" at this point. People come up with names that lack harmony, an absurd world that's "original", and they twist familiar stuff in an attempt to be "unique".

<cough>Eladrin!?!?<cough> ;)

I'd like to see something a bit more familiar, but with a simple concept or story that makes it interesting. FASA's 1st ed. Earthdawn was beautiful. It had the familiar races plus a few new ones that weren't totally absurd, disciplines that covered most of what you'd want, then came up with a wonderful excuse for adventuring, dungeons, monsters, why the PCs became powerful, etc... You were given a certain degree of familiarity, then some new well written stories, and... GO!

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

http://web.mac.com/boghouse/iWeb

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

~You've Got Mail (1998 film)

I'd like to see something a bit more familiar, but with a simple concept or story that makes it interesting.

I agree 100%. Too much weirdness makes the weird mundane. If every village in the world has elves and hobbits in them, then elves and hobbits aren't special no matter what the fluff says. I've always felt that be best way to make a setting feel magical is to start it in a plain ol' nothing special human town or village to give the players a baseline to judge the magical by.

And enough with the wierd names. I still don't know how to spell or pronouce Eberron*. Remember that the name "Glorantha" never appeared in a product name until third edition. Because of this, I don't see the need for a super detailed mega-setting to make BRP work. Give me some good solid adventures set in a small regional area (like Dragon Pass!). Save the world maps and encyclopediac fluff for years down the road and let the setting grow naturally.

Aaron

*If I spelled it correctly here, that was just a good guess.

Give me some good solid adventures set in a small regional area (like Dragon Pass!). Save the world maps and encyclopediac fluff for years down the road and let the setting grow naturally.

This is exactly the conversation Dustin Wright and I had two years ago.

I agree 100%. Too much weirdness makes the weird mundane. If every village in the world has elves and hobbits in them, then elves and hobbits aren't special no matter what the fluff says. I've always felt that be best way to make a setting feel magical is to start it in a plain ol' nothing special human town or village to give the players a baseline to judge the magical by.

And enough with the wierd names. I still don't know how to spell or pronouce Eberron*. Remember that the name "Glorantha" never appeared in a product name until third edition. Because of this, I don't see the need for a super detailed mega-setting to make BRP work. Give me some good solid adventures set in a small regional area (like Dragon Pass!). Save the world maps and encyclopediac fluff for years down the road and let the setting grow naturally.

Aaron

*If I spelled it correctly here, that was just a good guess.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a highly detailed world. If anything it helps the GM have a better understanding of the campaign he or she is running. Tekumel is full of strangeness and weird alien culture and is fantastically believable. MAR Barker is the closest thing the RPG Industry has ever had to compare with Tolkien. Arduin is another well envisioned land and one of the only fantasy enviroments I've come across that mixes a wide variety of things hand and hand into a single setting yet still keeps their originality intact. Now I do know the little grimores are inconsistent and the rules system is a bit spotty ( ok a lot!), but if you put it all together and look at it as a whole, you'll fine one very cool world with a lot of interesting ideas within it. One such item is the Arduin country map. It's chocked full of some of the best and most original names I've ever found in any fantasy setting, literarlly a hundred plus great names that I have never seen anyone use before. But yeah, I do agree, when a game world is just slapped together for no apparent reason an you have Elves and Orcs hanging around shooting the breese, it's pretty damm cheesy. That's one reason why I don't like to play WOW or any of those online games.

Since there is talk about settings, I thought I'd toss in a couple that stuck out to me:

RPGNow.com - Precis Intermedia - Steampunk Musha

This is more of a WoD knock-off. But it's worth checking out.

RPGNow.com - White Wolf - Cold Hands, Dark Hearts

And here's a bunch from a single company I plan on using for settings when I get my copy of BRP. Especially the StarCluster setting.

Flying Mice LLC RPG Page

Guest Vile Traveller

And enough with the wierd names. [...]Remember that the name "Glorantha" never appeared in a product name until third edition. [...] Give me some good solid adventures set in a small regional area (like Dragon Pass!). Save the world maps and encyclopediac fluff for years down the road and let the setting grow naturally.

You can bet if the first supplements had been called "Genertela" there would have been considerably less interest among us (then) youthful gamers. I stiil don't know how to pronounce that.

Dragon Pass, now, and Prax - those are names to conjure with.Not to mention the fact that just about every games master I've ever known resented being dumped in the deep end with a world-wide background overview compared with a gentle introduction to a nicely detailed local area.

I don't see the need for a super detailed mega-setting to make BRP work. Give me some good solid adventures set in a small regional area (like Dragon Pass!). Save the world maps and encyclopediac fluff for years down the road and let the setting grow naturally.

I can't agree more. So who's doing it ;) ???

Added as an afterthought:

There can be too much background. Players and GMs feel overwhelmed. And I personally can get really bored by weird creation myths.

Um, we are... down in the SharedWorld sub-forum (despite the fact that Chaosium have now stolen The Green from there...).

Feel free to contribute, everyone!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I'll soon (eh, well, "soon") have a brand new wiki ready for SharedWorld (DokuWiki!). I think it might be a good idea to limit it a bit more, mapwise, and concentrate on the area around the portal, then just describe to other lands (not mapping them).

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Dragon Pass, now, and Prax - those are names to conjure with.Not to mention the fact that just about every games master I've ever known resented being dumped in the deep end with a world-wide background overview compared with a gentle introduction to a nicely detailed local area.

I agree sitting there and reading a bunch of books about a campaign or adventure your about to run and trying to understand as much of the world can be pretty daunting. But the more you know you more about the world, and the more your prepared you are, the better the GM your going to be( as well as being a good storyteller but that's for another thread) That's why I love to create my own game worlds because I get a lot of enjoyment thinking this stuff up( I think deep down I'm some sort of writer or novelist at heart, but nah I'm just a gamer). I know a lot of people think world building is hard, but it's really not-- It just takes time and ideas. A book that I think every gamer should read is "Imaginary Worlds" by Lin Carter and one of the best things in it that he recommends when you want to create a world from scratch ( with a little extra from me) is the following: draw a map of the entire world, draw another map where the majority of the campaign is going to happen( a kingdom is a good example), start thinking,writing, drawing, whatever comes your way about all the random things in the world ( gods, monster, cities, dungeons, histories,a list of good restaurants, ect,ect, ect ) and put everything in a filing cabinet, a binder, anything you can store all of this stuff; Get an idea, write it down. See a photograph that you like, put it in your file. Find a book that you think would be good for the campaign, keep it and use it as reference. And most important of all from the worlds of a Taoist Monk I read long ago: take what you like, discard what you don't like and make it your own. These are the same tricks that writers do all the time and it works very well and easily applies to gaming. Anyway, I'm done sitting on the mountain top :D:

Not DragonPass, but I've started writing... something. I'll post more details when I have more of it on paper.

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

http://web.mac.com/boghouse/iWeb

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

~You've Got Mail (1998 film)

I'll soon (eh, well, "soon") have a brand new wiki ready for SharedWorld (DokuWiki!). I think it might be a good idea to limit it a bit more, mapwise, and concentrate on the area around the portal, then just describe to other lands (not mapping them).

Cool! :)

It would be Great to see something happening with this again. It was a lot of fun while the Shared-world was active.

294/420