Electric Fences

I have looked and looked, but I cannot seem to find any rules (or even guidelines) for electrocution. Am I missing something? I would rather not just arbitrarily say that the electric fence the PCs encounter will do 3d6 + knockback if there are actual rules out there somewhere for it.

Well, as far as BRP BGB goes there are references on pages: 154, 156, 232, 250ff (varios Shock and electrical weapons). I can't see that its called out anywhere though as a separate generic spot rule, so one would have to infer something from the weapons and powers stuff in the BGB.

There is values for 220 volt lines in Call of Cthulhu rpg 5 edition. Live wire 220 volt charge Damage 2D8+stun. however i don't know if that is the correct voltage, i suspect a electric fence would be higher. although that may vary, so 3D6 possibly even 4D6.  I would think characters who were hit would suffer stun damage + regular damage + shock.  Also damage would depend on if the person was knocked back from the charge or not. Those knocked back may survive those who hang on wont survive! i am no expert on electricity but i don't think it always knocks you back. I been hit twice in my life once by a electric cow fence that made me jump two feet forward, and another by a FL tube in a store freezer. The later did not make me jump back. The cow fence i recovered from quickly however the later took days.  After the initial hit my hand was useless for hours and a lot of pain and i felt stunned, shocked most the day, it took a few days for my hand to recover fully and i had pain during that hole time!       Obviously a electric fence would be much more severe than what i went threw.

for comparison

Live wire 110 volts 1D8+stun

Live wire 220 volts 2D8+stun

you got my curiosity going my question is what is the voltage of a electric fence typically?

likely temporary symptoms for high voltage: disorientation, confusion, dizziness, pain, numbness at times, possible trouble with hearing, balance issues, etc.

I suggest looking online to find out the symptoms for high voltage electrical shock, then give anyone hit some of those symptoms to deal with on a temporary bases, such as a few hours  to a few days depending on the severity of the damage.

I may do some research on this and write some rules for it!

Edited by skull

This is what i have come up with so far

shock type                                           damage                                       symptoms

car battery                                            1D3

can a moderator please delete this it was posted  but is missing a ton of text.  i cant figure out how to delete it. thanks.

Edited by skull

this is what i comre up with so far:

jolt:12.6v ( car battery) 1D4 damage symptoms(Pot 5): numbess, pain, possible temporary loss or function in location hit for a few 1D6 rounds. pain may exist for a day?

low voltage 110v?(Fuse box,electrical socket) 1D8 damage + stun SymptromsPot 10):numbness, pain temporary loss of function in location hit, partial paralysis in location hit, for 1D6 round or a few hours. pain may last up to a 1D2 days

medium voltage 220V? or pulsed higher voltage(industrial transformer,electric animal fence?) 2D8 + stun and shock. symptoms(Pot15): burns, muscle contractions, pain, chest pain, numbness

non pulsed? high voltage 600+  (power line,) 4d6 or 4D8 + stun shock symptoms(Pot 20): burns,muscle contraction, possible broken bones do to violent muscle contractions, pain,chest pain difficulty breathing,cardiac arrest, unconsciousness,numbness, partial paralysis, hearing,vision, and speach difficulties, confusion, disorientation, balance issues,neurological effects.

i am a bit confused though cause some things seem to conflict on values or maybe i miss read, i am very tired so i might have fudged something up.

huger power lines such as KV or kilo volt(1000volts) lines would most likely kill anyone hit , the higher high  to ultra high kv lines might even vaporize or partial vaporize a normal human.

according to one powerline site  it said the following for voltage  tjhe site was for Kv power lines.

Low   1000v or less  up to 1kv

med  1000 to 69,000v or 1kv to 69kv

high 115,000 to 138,000v or 115kv to 138kv     

extra high 230,000 to 800,000v or 230kv to 800kv

ultra high over 800,000v or over 800kv  

I am very tired, can't think well so i make have messed it up. please correct me if i got something wrong.  reading this i feel something seems to contradict, but i can think well, so let me know what you think!

I am not sure if 220 should be consider medium voltage, perhaps it should be considered low.

obviously this need some work, and some more research

(Pot)Potency is listed to avoid severe effects, however players will still have some ill effect no matter how well the roll, obviously if the are a god or super natural that might be different.

Maybe i can make a table for this after i get it fixed and corrected.

Edited by skull

Sorry i appolize for the multiple post of the same thing  and near empty posts.  i can't seem to figure out how to delete them! i am not sure how it even happened, can you tell i am tired ! Maybe it a glitch with my computer, not sure.

Edited by skull

• 2 months later...

Uh, if it helps, Power (that's the product of the Voltage and the Current), rated in Joules or Watts (Joules per second) is a much better indication of damage potential than just voltage. You can have things that pump up the voltage to high levels but do so by dropping the amperage (current flow), such as old picture tube TVs.  Most electric fences have a high voltage rating, but are drawing power off a a standard houseline running at 10-20 Amps and 100-125 volts (somewhere between 1000-2500 Watts) or less.  I'd be more worried about the shock from 30 Amp 220 Volt (6600 Watt) dryer than most electric fences. 

It's also why getting  a 12V car battery is more powerful (and dangerous) than, say, eight 1.5 V household batteries that are wired in series, like in a flashlight. 

High Power lines are dangerous not just because of the high voltage (that's done to help the electricity to travel further down the line) but because the lines have enough current (and thus power) to handle the needs for all the building along the powerline. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.