Upcoming HQ publications?

BigJackBrass

With so much happening over the past year and the focus inevitably (and perhaps quite rightly) being on RQ and CoC it does feel a little like HeroQuest has been set aside and rather overlooked in recent discussions. For me this has happened at a time when I've finally been able to play the game and get my home group excited about it. 

I may well have missed some announcements, so could anyone tell me where things stand with upcoming HeroQuest books? I know that D101 have another adventure book trickling through the pipeline, but what else can we look forward to? and when might it arrive? 

Check out the sticky on upcoming Glorantha publications in the Glorantha forum. I'm hoping that you're interested in Glorantha, otherwise I haven't really got any news for you.

You'll see that we should soon have two new books, the two-part The Coming Storm campaign. There are lots of other goodies on that list too.

Edited by Steve
  • Like 1

That's great, thank you. I'd missed that.  

And Glorantha is fine (I'll be running a Gloranthan adventure in a couple of hours, indeed), although I still reckon a Cthulhu supplement would work terrifically well with the system. 

Edited by BigJackBrass

• 5 months later...
On 14/06/2016 at 11:47 AM, BigJackBrass said:

With so much happening over the past year and the focus inevitably (and perhaps quite rightly) being on RQ and CoC it does feel a little like HeroQuest has been set aside and rather overlooked in recent discussions. For me this has happened at a time when I've finally been able to play the game and get my home group excited about it. 

I may well have missed some announcements, so could anyone tell me where things stand with upcoming HeroQuest books? I know that D101 have another adventure book trickling through the pipeline, but what else can we look forward to? and when might it arrive? 

HQ:G is certainly not forgotten, its just that the RQ people are being noisier right now. I had a chat with @Jeff recently and the goal is definitely to keep to a cadence of two books a year for the HQ:G line. Of course RQ books will be usable by HQ:G players, just ignore those stat blocks.

We just got The Coming Storm out in print, which is the setting for the Red Cow, the campaign, the Eleven Lights is following. We have art and ms and are in the final stages of layout, fixing proofreading errors etc. It should be out in the new year in PDF with print to follow.

It is worth bearing in mind that the process from pitch to printed book takes about two years. Now, there is a lot of opportunity to improve that, but that is where the situation is today. As a result, people become quite hesitant when talking about books that our further out. A lot can happen in that period to derail a book.

However, new troll books are in the pipeline, with one ms complete and others in development. Nochet and Prax are also in development. Falling Star is the working title for my Sky Ship and Dragonrise book.

Beyond that? Pipe dreams for now, but I would like to develop Safelster next as my players want to move out of Sartar, and Ralios lets us take Orlanthi and trolls, which we already have, and add western culture. Plus Arkat.

@Jeff and I discussed that it is easier for HQ:G to break ground in new areas, because we don't have to playtest the mechanics in the way RQ does. So we may get to pioneer a bit.

So we may be a little more reserved, but HQ:G will continue to release.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

Falling Star is the working title for my Sky Ship and Dragonrise book.

This excites me. Those stories are great epic-adventure ideas, but some of the Sartar Rising adventures fell hard into the "Assist the NPCs in their Epic Meta-Plot deeds." trap. I'd love to see an iteration that more explicitly supports games where NPCs like Kallyr & Broyan sit tight and focus on ruling/leading/defending their people while dispatching the PCs to do the heavy-lifting heroics & epic quests. More like, "BROYAN: I cannot go to the Other Side to in hopes of reviving Orlanth & awakening Ernalda, the Summons of Evil that draws the enemy to our chosen ground will only be strong enough so long as the True King stands here in defiance. This quest falls to you. TheGreat Darkness is come again. You must fight, we must win."

18 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

Pipe dreams for now, but I would like to develop Safelster next as my players want to move out of Sartar, and Ralios lets us take Orlanthi and trolls, which we already have, and add western culture. Plus Arkat.

Yes, please. I started on a sketch for an Arkati Cult Questionaire parallel to the Sartarite Clan one earlier this year, but paused when I hit some gaps in my knowledge. I'd be happy to contribute such a thing when the time comes, should you be open to it.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 3:26 AM, JonL said:

. Given the popularity of things like Trail of Cthulhu, I'm surprised Chaosium hasn't placed their own offering in that system-space, though perhaps with Trail being produced under license from Chaosium that may cloud the matter.

Personally I think HQ Cthulhu would work well in terms of game mechanics, but it would be not a good move to try and displace one of Chaosium's best sellers with another system doing the setting. I think both Cthulhu and Glorantha are well suited to the BRP based systems they are tied to, so I'm more than happy for Call of Cthulhu to remain as it is, and for RuneQuest to return to Glorantha.

Having said that, I would love to see the generic HeroQuest rules get some love and perhaps a face-lift. I think Pulpy settings like Crime-Noir, Action-Adventure, or Murder-Mystery would be the perfect fit for the HeroQuest rules, and could breathe new life into it as a product line (as Glorantha is bound to have alot of RuneQuest air play). Personally I will keep buying HQ Glorantha products for the setting material, as it will be easy to adapt to RuneQuest, and The Coming Storm looks perfect for this.

So I don't think HQ Glorantha should go away, but it doesn't need to compete with RuneQuest when it could be perfectly suited for a Pulp genre. I'ld love to see a Pulp Era product line kick off with the HeroQuest system!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 11/30/2016 at 7:26 AM, Ian Cooper said:

However, new troll books are in the pipeline, with one ms complete and others in development. Nochet and Prax are also in development. Falling Star is the working title for my Sky Ship and Dragonrise book.

Beyond that? Pipe dreams for now, but I would like to develop Safelster next as my players want to move out of Sartar, and Ralios lets us take Orlanthi and trolls, which we already have, and add western culture. Plus Arkat.

OMG Ian Cooper you HAVE to remain on staff, all of this is on my wish list for either HQ or RQ !!!

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2017 at 10:50 AM, jongjom said:

Any more news on the Eleven Lights ETA?

We're hoping for this week for the PDF being ready to go. At some point it will then appear on the website, and I guess there may be pre-order options for the print version. Printing can be a little bit elastic in timescales (as it gets printed then shipped by boat etc.)

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

We're hoping for this week for the PDF being ready to go. At some point it will then appear on the website, and I guess there may be pre-order options for the print version. Printing can be a little bit elastic in timescales (as it gets printed then shipped by boat etc.)

Woo-hoo! Thank you Ian!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

Cool.  I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1