[BRP Space] Core Rules Question

clarence

On 6/22/2016 at 0:47 PM, clarence said:

The fundamental idea of BRP Space was (and still is) to provide a sci-fi ruleset for the "baseline" BRP system. If I were to develop my own system, it would have to be different to every other version to be interesting/worthwhile - thus going against the idea of BRP Space. 

Regarding River of Heaven, I think it is hard to know if the two titles will attract more players by operating together, or if they are similar enough to work as competitors. I do hope they strenghten each other.

Hate to say it, but "ruleset" is not enough of a gaming product these days. Why would I ever use it when there are so many other fully developed gaming products with ready-made adventures available.

I think what is lacking the most for BRP games, is the adventures. Why not make something for River of Heaven?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jux said:

Hate to say it, but "ruleset" is not enough of a gaming product these days. Why would I ever use it when there are so many other fully developed gaming products with ready-made adventures available.

I think what is lacking the most for BRP games, is the adventures. Why not make something for River of Heaven?

Adventures for River of Heaven include "Reunion", "The Last Witness" and "A Message from Futhermost"...

Edited by rsanford
Add The Last Witness

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

4 hours ago, jux said:

This reflects your preference, but not everyone's. There are some who want their Federation of Planets described in the core in detail, and presented through ready-made scenarios; and those who want to create their own setting and adventures.

Sci-fi adventures for BRP were never lacking: Outpost 19, Operation Ulyssses, etc.....

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I agree with Paolo. Some people want scenarios, others want rules. The focus of RoH and BRP Space differs quite a lot. Where RoH leans towards The Expanse, BRP Space has an implied Star Wars-ish setting. 

My own goal is to write a few scenarios as BRP Space has been published, but hopefully I can get additional material from others as well (yes, that's an invitation to write!). 

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

1 hour ago, clarence said:

I agree with Paolo. Some people want scenarios, others want rules. The focus of RoH and BRP Space differs quite a lot. Where RoH leans towards The Expanse, BRP Space has an implied Star Wars-ish setting. 

My own goal is to write a few scenarios as BRP Space has been published, but hopefully I can get additional material from others as well (yes, that's an invitation to write!). 

Interesting.  It seemed to me from posts here that RoH was quite Transhuman and not like The Expanse, Alien & Aliens, and, to a lesser degree, Starship Troopers. I may need to take a peak at it again.  This is the problem with Science Fiction; it is hard to pin down.  Star Wars often seems not very Science Fiction. OTOH, the comic series Alien Legion does.

Can someone point out the Open Quest SRD, please? I have an OQ pdf (showing a warrior with battleaxe, a barbarian with a sword, and a female warrior with spear on the front cover). Is that the SRD or is there another, more genre-neutral or BGB-like version out on the interwebs?

Colin

2 hours ago, clarence said:

Hi Clarence,

I'll happily convert my own short Star Wars campaign to BRP Space, when you've decided which framework you'll be using. It was written for the BGB but - aside from removing any legally actionable Star Wars references - should be pretty easy to convert.

Colin

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

This reflects your preference, but not everyone's. There are some who want their Federation of Planets described in the core in detail, and presented through ready-made scenarios; and those who want to create their own setting and adventures.

Indeed. I am one of those who prefer to create their own settings and their own adventures, in the case of the adventures mainly because the available commercial ones rarely fit into my settings and therefore would require simply too much work to adapt them.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

2 hours ago, rust said:

Indeed. I am one of those who prefer to create their own settings and their own adventures, in the case of the adventures mainly because the available commercial ones rarely fit into my settings and therefore would require simply too much work to adapt them.

Anyone else think Rust's water world setting should be written up for Clarence's rules when they come out?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mysterioso said:

Anyone else think Rust's water world setting should be written up for Clarence's rules when they come out?

Thank you very much indeed, but I doubt that I will have the time and energy to translate my Thalassa material. :(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

22 hours ago, Mysterioso said:

Interesting.  It seemed to me from posts here that RoH was quite Transhuman and not like The Expanse, Alien & Aliens, and, to a lesser degree, Starship Troopers. I may need to take a peak at it again.  This is the problem with Science Fiction; it is hard to pin down.  Star Wars often seems not very Science Fiction. OTOH, the comic series Alien Legion does.

River of Heaven is "on the cusp" - there ARE trans-humanist elements, but there are also anti-transhumanist forces at play in the setting which have pushed back quite hard against the whole of humanity taking that route. That's one of the things that's really cool about it. Without being a direct lift of Alistair Reynolds / Richard Morgan et al  it captures a lot of the feel of that type of "new" Space Opera from the last twenty years or so.

20 hours ago, clarence said:

And yes, both Outpost 19 and Operation Ulysses would probably be quite easy to use with BRP Space. 

For various reasons it is highly unlikely I will be revisiting Outpost 19, but having read BRP Starships 2.2 and written Outpost 19 I can't think of any significant hurdles to using them together.

cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ColinBrett said:

Can someone point out the Open Quest SRD, please? I have an OQ pdf (showing a warrior with battleaxe, a barbarian with a sword, and a female warrior with spear on the front cover). Is that the SRD or is there another, more genre-neutral or BGB-like version out on the interwebs?

Colin

I think this is all there is Colin. The word docs don't have any art, and whole chapters can be inserted into your own work, it is very versatile : http://openquest.d101games.com/openquest-srd/

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

My only issue is having BRP Space in one of the MRQ D100 line BRP games, like OpenQuest or Mythras, is that it is in direct competition to River of Heaven, even if it is a slightly different take on Sci-Fi, perhaps more Space Opera or Space Adventure than River of Heaven is. Personally I'ld like to see Clarence's rules in the new BRP Essientials rules, just for variety's sake...but I guess the main thing is that they get out there in print, whichever BRP system it is

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"