Thalassa (Science Fiction Setting)

rust

6 hours ago, clarence said:

With a change from submarine-like domes to more open and light designs, I suppose a city can consist of both older and newer domes? Will inhabitants prefer the new, spacious ones? 

The settlements will indeed consist of a mix of old and new types of domes, although only for some years. The older, submarine-like domes will only be inhabited for a couple of years and will afterwards be used for technical services or as storage space. Once the first phase of the colony's development has been finished all of the colonists will live in the bigger, more comfortable domes.

Edited by rust

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

And another house rule: Special Event

The Mythras system normally uses Background Events as an option. I tried to come up with a list of such events for the Thalassa setting, but had to give it up because I did not manage to come up with a sufficient number of suitable events. Besides, I think that the design of a background event for a specific character should be the task of the player. After some tinkering I decided to use a simple house rule which combines a background event and a connection between two player characters and rewards the player's effort:

When a player describes a background event which connects his character with another player's character and where one of his character's skills had an important role and was used successfully, the character gets 5 bonus points for this skill.

• Like 1

(Charlie Chan)

7 hours ago, Vile said:

You may have seen some of Spica Publishing's Mongoose Traveller career books - there are a lot of events in those.

Thank you very much, a good idea. :)

(Charlie Chan)

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a sign of life that Thalassa does still exist, here is a map of the Abyss, the area with the greatest ocean depth on Thalassa. This map is the result of scans with sonar and gravimeter, the colony currently does not have the means to really explore the Abyss and find out what lives there.

Karte Abyss.PNG

(Charlie Chan)

8 minutes ago, clarence said:

Have you started playing yet?

There have been a few test games. Some characters have begun to explore a little bit of the water world, Thalassa has sold the license for the production of bionic artificial gills to a corporation on Earth and has signed a trade agreement with a free trader, Captain Pakpao Metharom of the starship Argonaut (I am waiting for M-Space to design that starship) - overall not much and only to see whether the setting and the rules work as intended. :)

• Like 1

(Charlie Chan)