Pokemon BRP

Chaot

New York schools go long into summer.  However, my kids will be free on the 28th, as will I.  I promised them a Pokemon game and it's time to deliver.  So now I'm presented with a tiny little challenge... how am I going to do Pokemon with BRP?

First are the trainers.  I'm grabbing the Character Archetypes from Grimm; The Bully, The Dreamer, The Jock, The Nerd, The Normal Kid, The Outcast, The Popular Kid.  I'll be cutting a bunch of the skills out and renaming some.  Probably look at OpenQuest for that.  Two things that will be added.  First is a Pokemon Trainer skill that acts like a Command [Battlefield] skill.  The second is some sort of Pokemon Trainer willpower attribute (which may just end up being POW).  The command skill will help determine how well a pokemon battles and the trainer's willpower will act as some sort of bonus ability to keep the pokemon in the battle.

Next up, the pokemon themselves.  I bounce back and forth between stating all the wee beasties up or just listing them as powers on the Trainer's Sheet.  The Pokethulhu game does a good job of boiling the essence of a pokemon down to a few attributes.  Regardless, I want to create a cheat sheet that lets me look at a pokemon card and quickly convert it.

Ideas, encouragement and even neigh sayers are welcome.  I'll likely post my results here.

• Like 1

70/420

That time again. Gee it comes around quick mate :D

If you have Pulp Cthulhu you could easily rebrand the pulp archetypes with the names for the archetypes you listed

OpenQuest is pretty simple for kids, I occasionally use it for my primary (elementary) shool lads and they picked it up reasonably quick

If you can get away with stating up the Pokemons as just their powers and HP then I reckon that's all you'll need.

I'ld just consider all Pokemon characteristics are automatically within normal range (no need to record their values, they would be 9-11), and just use descriptors like 'small' 'large' 'quick' etc to indicate which characteristics are outside of those norms, and which Skills/Powers to list for the Pokemons. That way you could almost emulate those Pokethulhu cards, which would allow for quick conversion.

It shouldn't be too hard...

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Wow, my mind is already spinning with ideas for this. But just to add to the above, you could also add in stats at which they have a chance to evolve. When they evolve they may become weaker for a bit but will get better than the upper levels than its previous state. Of course pokemon are known to do this more than twice so it's really about how far you want to take it.

• Like 1

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

Another tip on playing with kids is to import the Bonus/Penalty Dice option from CoC 7E to replace the numerical modifiers in OpenQuest or BRP BGB.

It will be in the free CoC 7E Quickstart if you don't have the full edition of CoC 7E.

It ports across cleanly, its quick with no maths involved, and it adds a fun gamist touch that kids and newbies enjoy.

I find my kids tend to create colourful cinematic situatons just to give themselves the advantage of using the bonus dice, so it is much more flavoursome than the standard dry numerical modifiers.

Additionally its simple if you ever want to add a Talents system - you just pick a talent concept, then add a bonus dice to whichever skills that talent is enhancing for a particular situation.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

22 hours ago, Mankcam said:

That time again. Gee it comes around quick mate :D

Quick enough, brother.  Quick enough.  (That was a tough school year, which is also why I haven't been around here as much recently.)

So, here's what I'm thinking as a stat block for a trainer.  I've taken some liberties.  These are not because I'm worried kids can't handle long stat blocks but because I would rather deemphasize the typical seven as individually important.  These are tied into attribute rolls like normal BRP, but I've changed them around a little bit.  Characters are created by distributing a 10, 12, 14, and 16 to each stat.  Two stat points can be moved, leaving a trainer with a minimum possible score of 8 and a maximum of 18.

Strong x5 = Muscle %
Fast x5 = Dodge %
Smart x5 = Idea %
Smooth x5 = Fast Talk %

Combining Strong and Fast will give you the character's Hit Points.
Combining Smart and Smooth will give you the character's Will.  (I haven't set on a name for this yet so am calling it Will.  I will change the name as soon as I figure out how exactly it interacts with the trainer's pokemon.  It is there to augment the pokemon's efforts in battle.)

Skill
I have to list these yet.  It will be a short list.  I will probably include some freeform skills that the players make up in here too.

Pokemon Trainer Skills
This is a special list of skills very important for the aspiring trainer.  The first skill in the list is the Pokemon Trainer skill.  It is used during a pokemon battle to give your pokemon an edge by coaching it on it's next move and encouraging the wee little beastie.  Following that is the pokemon type skills.  These increase when you succeed in a battle with that pokemon type and when you study that pokemon type out in the wild.  There are a lot of pokemon type skills, which is why you, as a pokemon trainer, want to walk everyplace you go.  Bump into a new pokemon, fill in your pokedex and bump up your type skill.  I also might give the battling pokemon a small bonus if the trainer's skill in that type is high.  Hence why Misty sticks with Water pokemon and Brock sticks with Rock.

Normal
Fire
Water
Electric
Grass
Ice
Fighting
Poison
Ground
Flying
Psychic
Bug
Rock
Ghost
Dragon
Dark
Steel
Fairy

So let's look at Pokemon themselves.  I want to keep them short.  I sat down and noodled out what I thought I would need.  This is the result/

Pokemon Name, Pokemon Type, Defense Value, Hit Points, Energy
Ability 1, success %, damage, effect, cost
Ability 2, success %, damage, effect, cost
etc
Strong Against: +20%, +damage
Weak Against: -20%, -damage

I think this covers everything except evolving.  I have to nail down the mechanics on how the ability % and damage are increased.  I may even allow the ability cost to decrease as the pokemon gains experience.  Those are the bones.

If you can get away with stating up the Pokemons as just their powers and HP then I reckon that's all you'll need.

I'ld just consider all Pokemon characteristics are automatically within normal range (no need to record their values, they would be 9-11), and just use descriptors like 'small' 'large' 'quick' etc to indicate which characteristics are outside of those norms, and which Skills/Powers to list for the Pokemons. That way you could almost emulate those Pokethulhu cards, which would allow for quick conversion.

It shouldn't be too hard...

Much of my thoughts too.  If a pokemon is really quick or has a quality that really stands out I might just throw it in as an ability.

If you have Pulp Cthulhu you could easily rebrand the pulp archetypes with the names for the archetypes you listed

I actually do not have it.  It was vapor ware for so long I don't think I actually realized that it was published!  What are the archetype names in Pulp Cthulhu, out of curiosity?

22 hours ago, auyl said:

Wow, my mind is already spinning with ideas for this. But just to add to the above, you could also add in stats at which they have a chance to evolve. When they evolve they may become weaker for a bit but will get better than the upper levels than its previous state. Of course pokemon are known to do this more than twice so it's really about how far you want to take it.

I really need to figure this bit out here.  I think the kids would tear me apart if I didn't have some sort of way to evolve their pokemon.  Any ideas how to institute it?  Ideally I would like to hit on a method that keeps player's like Ash happy (with his never evolving but still viable pikachu) while allowing pokemon to evolve in a manner that's faithful to the shows.

I am also at a disadvantage here because I have not actually played a pokemon game or really watched an episode.  Everything that I know is through osmosis, from it being on in the background and from reading about it.

10 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Another tip on playing with kids is to import the Bonus/Penalty Dice option from CoC 7E to replace the numerical modifiers in OpenQuest or BRP BGB.

It will be in the free CoC 7E Quickstart if you don't have the full edition of CoC 7E.

It ports across cleanly, its quick with no maths involved, and it adds a fun gamist touch that kids and newbies enjoy.

I find my kids tend to create colourful cinematic situatons just to give themselves the advantage of using the bonus dice, so it is much more flavoursome than the standard dry numerical modifiers.

Additionally its simple if you ever want to add a Talents system - you just pick a talent concept, then add a bonus dice to whichever skills that talent is enhancing for a particular situation.

This sounds great!  I don't have CoC7 either...

• Like 1

70/420

Thinking about dice tricks and having just read CoC7...

Maybe for pokemon strength and weakness I'll just use flip flopping from Unknown Armies.  If a pokemon is strong against another type it gets to flip it's roll so that if the player rolls a 5 and a 2 the result is 25.  If it is weak against the opposing pokemon it is a 52.

Maybe a success with the Pokemon Trainer skill gives the pokemon a bonus die a la CoC7.

Maybe the Pokemon Type skill is rolled against to improve your pokemon's abilities and determine whether they evolve.

70/420

My initial thoughts are to have them have certain skill increases to a certain point. Once they reach that point, have them roll against their POW on the resistance table to see if they evolve. This depends on the type of Pokémon and what their key attacks and abilities are. Once they get to that level, you add the evolution sort of like a d20 template on top of the Pokémon. You might want to invest or find a Pokémon guide from the Gameboy, DS and 3DS games so you can go through what all the evolutions are. Some of these critters evolve more than once so you might have to create multiple evolution levels.

• Like 1

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

21 hours ago, TRose said:

I would consider the Pokémon as bound Demons except they are not trying to eat the Pokémon masters and you have to capture them instead of summoning them. But that just me.

I love demons and use them a lot, but it's more tracking than I want to do with this game.

20 hours ago, auyl said:

My initial thoughts are to have them have certain skill increases to a certain point. Once they reach that point, have them roll against their POW on the resistance table to see if they evolve. This depends on the type of Pokémon and what their key attacks and abilities are. Once they get to that level, you add the evolution sort of like a d20 template on top of the Pokémon. You might want to invest or find a Pokémon guide from the Gameboy, DS and 3DS games so you can go through what all the evolutions are. Some of these critters evolve more than once so you might have to create multiple evolution levels.

I like it.  I've dropped POW but I think I'll tie the chance to evolve into the Trainer's [Pokemon] Type skill.  When I introduce the pokemon I'll jot down the minimum scores needed to evolve.

I do have my daughter's pokemon guidebook but it's many years out of date by this point.  I will have to pick up another.

So, this morning I've been cobbling together a character sheet.  No place near done, but I've hammered out some skills.  Not set on them but it's a start.

Pokemon Training (kind of looking for a new name for this)
Art/Craft
Athletics
Bargain
Build Gizmo
Driving (I might take this out because it seems that Trainers tend to walk a lot but I do remember seeing Team Rocket in various vehicles.)
Healing (thinking about renaming)
Perception
Performance
Riding
Sailing
Trickery

I want to keep the list short and I'm not sure if I'm missing something important.  I'm purposely not giving Trainers a fighting skill.  If they mix it up in combat they'll need to make a Muscle roll or a Dodge roll to get out of there.

• Like 1

70/420

If you're making your own character sheet and after simplicity, then you could always make the game Characteristic focused and use the CoC 7E skill levels as a guide: (crit =01, Extreme = 1/5, Hard = 1/2, Regular = full score, fumble = 00).

So all rolls are actual Characteristic rolls, where you generate your characteristics by 2D6+6 for Extreme score, multiply this by 5 for Regular score, and halve that for Hard score.

Once this is recorded there is not too much to add

During the session you just set most tasks at Hard, then adjust either way depending upon the difficulty. Having specific knowledge/talents in a few things would adjust up for Regular diffulty.

That way there is hardly any need for a big Skill list, just a small section for a few highly specific skills which adjust the difficulty level of the Characteristic rolls (this would include things like Pokemon Training).

This would be a pretty simple concept, very handwavey.

For EXP you could hand out Hero Points as milestone awards. Allow the kids to use these in-game as Luck ( spend a Hero Point for re-rolls, grant a bonus modifier, etc). Perhaps when a set number of Hero Points are accumulated  then the kids may choose to 'cash them in' to increase their Characteristic by 1D4% (2 Hero Points) or to level up their caracter's Pokemon (4 Hero Points). 

I'ld use something like poker chips for the Hero Points, and use Bonus/Penalty Dice for any circumstantial modifers.

The main thing is to keep the character sheet very simple and have a few gamist touches, the kids will take to it much better.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mankcam said:

If you're making your own character sheet and after simplicity, then you could always make the game Characteristic focused and use the CoC 7E skill levels as a guide: (crit =01, Extreme = 1/5, Hard = 1/2, Regular = full score, fumble = 00).

Hmmmmm.... maybe, maybe...  four skills that are largely static but vary depending how difficult the task is...  

I've already decided to drop sailing, drive and ride from the skill list.  I don't see a reason to make characters develop three skills (or why it would be necessary to differentiate between the skills) and I couldn't think on a good name that incorporates all three of them.

I think I would just have three, Easy, Regular, Hard.  I was thinking about using Unknown Armies doubles rule.  If you roll a success and it's also a double it's a critical.  If you roll a failure and it's a double it's a fumble.  It's funny.  I'm sure if you dig deep enough you can find me ranting someplace about how much I hate dice tricks.

I also can't believe I left some sort of Hero point system out.  That must be in there.  So I think I may be dropping the regular skill list.  The only skills will be the main four and the Pokémon Trainer skill and Pokémon Type skills.  I like how that shifts the emphasis away from the PC a bit and more towards the PC's minions.

Now I have to start doing some translating of abilities and figure out how Will figures into it.  Side note on Will, I renamed it to Resolve on the sheet.  

• Like 1

70/420

So, one of the issues I'm running into.  I want this to be up and running by tomorrow...  ...oops.  On a positive note, I think the basic mechanics are hammered out.  I've a start on translating abilities.  I have this.

BRP%20Pokemon%20Character%20Sheet%20v1_z

I've got half of the pokémon advancement down.  I think once I get more of the abilities translated and I have a wider look at what I'm getting myself into I will be in better shape.

• Like 2

70/420

Thank goodness for Sentinels of the Multiverse.  I'm traveling and did not bring some of my conversion notes so I've relaxed on writing up abilities.  SotM has kept us very busy though.

So, I think I'm going to track battle points for the pokémon.  These can then be spent to increase abilities.  I've put together a chart that is similar to the Demon Table and set up so that it can be used to randomize pokémon a little bit and be used to tell how many battle points are needed to increase an ability.

70/420

Sounds like a fun little game to run for your kids. Good to see you ushering in the next generation of rpgers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a semirelated but different thought,  there was a game called "Jade Cocoon", a capture and training game, like Pokemon, but similarly to the biology rules in Hawkmoon, you could combine and alter the creatures to gain power and abilities. Which would also make an interesting character in a Gamma World style game

• 2 weeks later...
On July 21, 2016 at 0:22 PM, ColinBrett said:

My son has just expressed an interest in GMing a Pokemon campaign. Do you mind if I borrow the rules you've posted already and pass them on for him to use?

You may use any and all of it.  I fleshed some more stuff out and we've played around with it a little, but with Pokémon Go out I feel like I've made the system too complex!

70/420

• 1 year later...

I may have some additional mechanical material but it's not great. I'll take a look. I ended up only running one game. It turned out to be a haunted light house with a Misdreavus, a Gastly and a Gyarados patrolling the lake.

70/420

Let me clarify. The game was great. It was a huge success but Sentinels of the Multiverse and Talisman at that summer up.

I sat down to write out a bunch of abilities, which I now believe was the wrong move. When I ran the game I eyeballed some Pokemon cards and winged it and that worked fine. This means that I have some partial lists of abilities written up somewhere. It's probably not worth sharing in it's current stage. However, I'd like to figure out a way of systematizing improvised abilities. It so happens that school is almost out again and since this thread was revived I may look into it.

What I don't want to do right now is sit down and stat out a bunch of abilities. I'm think ability names coupled with some simple mechanics.

70/420