Half Elves (i.e. half humans)

Khedrac

5 hours ago, Falconer said:

Actually, there are Orcs for RQ1, as they were part of Steve Perrin’s Pavis campaign. They are published in Wyrm’s Footnotes Seven along with a cult and rune spells. ^_^

What was the cult called? I'd be interested in seeing that article.

Sorry, but posting of an entire cult is not something I am comfortable with. The PDF and the book containing the cult are available, so it's not like they are out of print.

While Wyrm's Footnotes #7 does contain Steve Perrin's Pavis Notes article, including the write-up on the Tokaz Varaz cult, it is a GOBLIN cult, and the stats provided in the article are for Goblins, NOT orcs. Also, since the issue was published after the Origins Awards for 1979 were announced, the RuneQuest 2 rules would have basically been done by this point. I also doubt the article is RQ1 based because Cults of Prax and Snake Pipe Hollow had been published before WF#7 came out.

WF#7 also contained this info in the "Thoughts Tagged on at the Last Second" section on page 6:
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BROKEN TREE INN?
A couple of people have asked this question. It stems from the fact that some early advertising we sent out stated that the latest Scenario Pack called SNAKE PIPE HOLLOW would include a section called and about the Broken tree Inn. As you may have guessed, it isn't in the book. The reason is simple if you go and count the pages in the book. When the ms. was typed in we thought it would take up less space than it finally did. Since out limit for a $5 book is 48 pages we had to cut something. The Inn was a separate part and the easiest to excise. It will eventually appear. Either Rudy will use it in another of the Scenario Packs he wants to make or else it will show up someplace else.

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 1 month later...

Umm... was Pavis really only a half elf?  Because closer inspection of the myth may reveal that he was a bit more of a hybrid than that, potentially with dwarf, troll, and other admixtures besides.  Adari has always been something of a crossroad and mixing pot of the races, as well as being a squalid little town like Corflu.    I am of the opinion that Pavis was actually enough of a hybrid to constitute being a Man Rune more than a man.  Also, don't humans who have sex with elves often get some sort of horrid fungal infection? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2016 at 0:52 PM, Joerg said:

Aldryami include dryads. Dryads are nymphs, able to have offspring with about any species if they want to, or parthogenetic if they need to. A mating between a human and a dryad would result in offspring, and probably happens fairly often as woodsmen are lured into copses. What species that offspring would be is another matter - probably not counted among the elves, but quite likely among the Children of the Forest.

It is my interpretation that Pavis was rather unique.  IN KoDP, those who mate with dryads meet most horrible ends.  Plants sprout out of them.  So instead of impregnating the dryad with child, the male of such mating seems to become seeded instead.  Preventing this outcome and allowing for an actual birth by the dryad seems to have been the purpose of the EWF experiment.

Edited by Pentallion

On 6/27/2016 at 1:25 AM, Joerg said:

I don't think that there is such a generic magic. There is only one other (fertile) case of half human, half something else that is not a chimeric combination. The Aramites turned into the Tusk Riders during the EWF, at about the same time as we see Pavis born. Their moniker as "half-trolls" is a bit dubious, though. They don't appear to be part of the Kyger Litor lineage, and probably never were, either. They might be an emulation of the darkness demon slain/bound by Aram, amalgamated with the great Tusker spirit/godling.

It is possible that the Remakers (who also created Pain Centaurs, and Manticores, and who may have summoned satyrs and minotaurs through their experiments) were involved in the Pavis project, at least as scientific advisors.

The cult of Hon-eel might be privy to such a secret. After all, she mated with an elf deity to bring Maize.

The Flintnail dwarves are all half human.  The vat produced versions died off some time ago.  This is perhaps the greatest, best kept secret in Old Pavis.

One thing I remember is there are several Religious ceremonies where a Mortal will become a Champion of a Local Nymph and she will take him as a Husband.. There one in Sun Country where a Champion of Yelmalio marries a Daughter of Zola Fel and a few others  that I remember.

I was wondering if Pavis could be from such a Union, his Dad being a Champion of Adari who upon doing a great deed for the Elves of the Stinking forest marries a Dryad to cement an alliance . And since Gods are almost always involved in these marriages of Champions to a Nymph they would likely be more fertile then a casual roll in the hay

• Like 1