Gun Rules for Magic World

rsanford

So I am getting pretty good with Magic World and have used it for a couple of genres now. However I am about to play a modern game and the question has come up about automatic weapons (M16, AK47, etc...). Does anyone have SIMPLE, EASY rules for firing guns that can shoot multiple shells per round?  What do you guys recommend?

I saw on the Internet that rules are apparently included in CoC but I don't have those books.

Anybody?

PS - The game we are about to play is styled after X-Files and uses the Alternity Dark Matter setting? Anyone here ever done an X-Files type game?

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

The automatic fire rules from CoC ... hmm, could look rather similar to this here:

Automatic Fire

If using automatic fire an attacker can make one pull of the trigger in one combat round. The automatic weapon will then continue firing until the trigger is released or the ammunition is expended (called full auto). Some weapons are limited to fire a burst (i.e. 2 or 3 bullets) rather than full auto, while others may be switched to fire semi-automatic (single bullets), and/or burst or full auto.

For full auto: the player declares the number of rounds (bullets) to be fired, which may be any number up to the capacity of the gun before rolling the dice. Due to the recoil of automatic weapons, it is very hard to place a high number of rounds in a single target. To simulate this, the number of bullets fired is divided into a series of volleys, with an attack roll made for each volley. A volley is a number of bullets up to or equal to the firer’s Submachine Gun (SMG) or Machine Gun (MG) skill divided by 10 and rounded down: simply read the tens digit of the skill value. Regardless of skill, a full auto volley is never fewer than 3 bullets. For example: a character with Firearms (SMG) 47% would fire four bullets in a volley. A character can fire full auto (multiple volleys) in a single round until their ammunition runs out, although the chances of hitting reduce after the first volley has been fired.

For burst fire: one pull of the trigger fires 2 or 3 bullets, this being considered the best combination of accuracy and conservation of ammunition. This is simply treated as a volley of 2 or 3 shots (depending on the firearm; the user’s skill plays no role in determining the number of bullets).

When firing semi-automatic (ie. multiple single shots): apply a penalty die to each shot, making a skill roll for each bullet fired, just as when firing multiple rounds from a handgun see Handguns, Multiple Shots (page 113).

Rolling to hit with automatic fire:

First attack roll: apply the usual rules for a firearms attack roll (set difficulty by range and then apply any modifiers).

Second and further attack rolls: add one penalty die (or remove a bonus die) for each additional attack roll. If this would incur three penalty dice, stick with two penalty dice and raise the difficulty level by one step (from Normal to Hard, Hard to Extreme, Extreme to Critical, or Critical to impossible).

The attacker must make a fresh attack roll for each volley (or burst) of shots or whenever they select a new target. All targets should be within a reasonable arc of fire (around a sixty-degree arc). Ammunition is expended when moving between targets (one bullet per meter/yard). This is simply additional wasted ammunition, and for convenience is not factored into volley size, attack rolls, or the quantity of shots that can be made before incurring penalty dice.

Resolving each attack roll: If the attack roll is successful: half of the shots fired hit the target—roll damage for half of the shots (round down, minimum of one). Subtract any armor from each shot. If the attack roll is an Extreme success: all shots fired hit the target, the first half (round down, minimum of one) of which impale. Subtract any armor from each shot. As for all firearm attacks, if the difficulty level of the shot was Extreme, the best possible result is a successful hit and not an impale.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

If you wanted to shell out some clams, the Investigator Weapons Vol 1 and Vol 2 are excellent.

The pdfs are about $15 USD each on Drivethru RPG.

Extensive list of historic and contemporary Firearms, specifically detailed for BRP mechanics

I highly recommend these titles

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

5 hours ago, rsanford said:

The game we are about to play is styled after X-Files and uses the Alternity Dark Matter setting? Anyone here ever done an X-Files type game?

If you like this kind of setting, then you will love the new version of Delta Green.

It is a self contained BRP rule book, the genre/setting is 'Covert Agents vs Cthulhu Mythos'; so think 'X-Files meets True Detective meets Bourne Identity', and you'll be in the ballpark.

It is currently being worked on as a Kickstarter project, due for print publication later this year hopefully. I see the Agents Handbook is already available on Drivethru RPG .

Keep an eye out for it, it might be the kind of thing you may want to run

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Thanks! I have already backed the Kickstarter for the case officers book. Probably be a while before I get it though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mankcam said:

If you wanted to shell out some clams, the Investigator Weapons Vol 1 and Vol 2 are excellent.

The pdfs are about $15 USD each on Drivethru RPG.

Extensive list of historic and contemporary Firearms, specifically detailed for BRP mechanics

I highly recommend these titles

Thanks I will check it out. I have hear good things about it before.

1 hour ago, rsanford said:

Thanks! I have already backed the Kickstarter for the case officers book. Probably be a while before I get it though!

Well you'll already have the Agents Handbook in pdf then. I'm preachin' to the converted!

Edited by Mankcam

9 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Well you'll already have the Agents Handbook in pdf then. I'm preachin' to the converted!

Mankcam,

I haven't read the PDF yet but maybe you know the answer... If I buy the Investigator's Weapons Volume 2 do you think it will have a lot of redundant stuff also found in the case officer's book?  After reading the reviews last night for Investigator's Weapons I am sorely tempted but I want to resist unless there is good reason :-)

Thank you!

I have backed the Delta Green at Case Officers Book level, but only have the Agents Handbook in pdf at this stage so I am unsure about any pending publications. 

The Agents Handbook does have a reasonable assortment of weapons, but it is very broad in scope. For example, there are three types of pistols listed (light,medium, and heavy). It  has a much bigger focus on weapons than the standard CoC rulebook has, however it is certainly not exhaustive. 

The Investigator Weapons books are a different beast. It is possibly most exhaustive listing of historic firearms ever assembled for a rpg, and for the gun enthusiast-gamer. It has a page on the background of each specific firearm, lists slight variations between models, and lists numerous stats for each firearm. These books are pretty hard-core, so it depends on what you are after. 

Vol 1 does firearms from the pulp era, so 1880s up to the 1930s, and Vol 2 (the larger volume) does from the 1940s up to contemporary times. 

Whilst the weapons in the Delta Green books are fine, it is hard not to recommend both volumes of the Investigator Weapons books.

Edited by Mankcam

Thanks Mankcam!

i will go ahead and pickup volume 2 as I am more into modern / military style weapons. My BRP collection keeps growing!

• Like 1