The Derelict

Pestigor

When I first got the Derelict and read it I have to admit I was a little disappointed. When I play Cthulhu I like to have some sense of a bigger context and that was miising IMO. So while I was running it I had a flash of insight and decided to put a broken wooden sarcophagus in the ice broken by the ships bow. It was covered in what appears to be Norse runes. While this small bit of detail seems unnecessary I found it gave me a better handle on the situation. I didn't feel like just a "bug hunt" but now there is some history and story with the creature. Just thought I share.

• 1 month later...

Funny, I had the same thought.  I had a Norwegian professor transporting a stone tablet with Norse pictographs and a crystal embedded in the center.  The crystal later becomes the creature and kills the professor who had opened the crate with the tablet in it.  In addition to the tablet, I had a file of correspondence between the professor and an American lab.  As the investigators came upon the 'crime scene' in the hold, I had biohazard stickers on the door of the hold as well as the crate.  My goal was to add a layer of uncertainty to the 'hunt'.

It didn't really help the investigators but I thought it added to the mystery and I think they enjoyed a bit more back story.  They certainly studied the clues to look for anything that could help.

• 4 months later...

Did anyone find the size of the Sciapod troubling.  It is a pretty big thing.  One might guess that it would have some difficulty moving through the ship. 

I do like the ideas of the Norse stuff above.  I also feel that sometime strange stuff is just out there...  I might life that stone tablet though.  :)

Archived