The Coming Storm errata

Mark Mohrfield

So The Coming Storm is out and already annoying fans like me are noticing some mistakes: Londril Spear-Rattler's Rattle-Born rating is just 1(it should be 1W) and his Movement rune rating should be 13 (or maybe 17?) instead of 13W, a picture of a Dragon rune on page 15 should be an Earth rune, and several characters have a 13 in their second rune instead of a 17.

• Like 1

p.101 The stat block for ROSTAKUS TWICE-OUTLAWED is incorrectly headed 'Kallesra Sees-Tomorrow'.  The faction looks copied as well.  Age and after looks ok.

p.102 The stat block for KORLMHYOR THE SWIFT has the same incorrect heading of 'Kallesra Sees-Tomorrow'.  Ditto on the copy of the faction.  Age and after looks ok.

• Like 1

I started reading my .pdf and since I notice these things anyway I went ahead and typed up some notes as I went. I only got through the first two chapters, but I might press on if I have some spare time.

The Coming Storm

(pg. 4) Chapter 1

It takes your players from the Lunar Occupation, through the Windstop and the Dragonrise.

This volume provides the setting for that campaign, and covers the people whom your player characters will interact with and the places they will visit.

It is suitable for both players and Game Masters, as it contains facts that characters that have grown up in this region would know.

(pg. 4) Before Starting

The parameters are the genre, the setting, the mode, the premise, and individual narrative hooks.

(pg. 4) Genre

This is a tale of swashbuckling PCs heroes risking all in the face of danger. [Since the previous example was speaking of fiction in general, it might make more sense to use a less RPG-specific term.]

However, the stakes in the such stories are personal triumph or loss, not the world-spanning threats of epic fantasy.

If the PCs heroes fail, their families, kin, and loved ones may suffer, but the that failure will not change the world. [Ditto.]

This differs from epic fantasy, where the events are world-spanning in impact.

(pg. 5) The Third Age is Ending; How Will Your Clan Survive the Hero Wars?

The Lunar missionaries bring a message of co-operation and unity: "We are all us."

He is a 'wall of spears' against the Telmoriand his settlers carve land from the forests that grew up after the destruction of the Maboder.

(pg. 5) Sidebar: This is Not a Stand-Alone Game!

These can be found in the Heroquest Glorantha, Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, and the Sartar Companion.

The Sartar Companion is particularly useful, as it includes a description of Jonstown, a city in Cinsina lands, and two scenarios: The Crimson Bat Comes to Sartar, and The Gifts of Stone, which can form part of this campaign.

You may also find other products such as Pavis: Gateway to AdventureThe Book of Heortling Mythology, and The Guide to Glorantha useful, although they are not needed to play The Coming Storm.

(pg. 6) Narrative Hooks

Fintar is one of the chieftain’s housecarls. When the Hero Wars come, he will takes to the vanguard in the fight to defend the people of the clan from their enemies.

Chapter 2

(pg. 7) Your Clan

Your clan is better than others are, and your people have skills of survival and making that you have inherited.

(pg. 10) Axe Orlanthi

The Axe Orlanthi do not object to owning slaves — but the Red Cow do not take thralls, as their wyter, Many-Breath was amongst those who welcomed the “Cloud Folk” or Karantuel to join his clan as free men during the Vingkotling Age.

(pg. 10) Your Values

Cautious: “Fools rush in. We prefer to tread carefully, weighing our options before committing ourselves to action.”

(pg. 11) Number of People

Of those adults, 134 or so have lived long enough to become elders of the clan (50+ years of age).

(pg. 11) Bloodlines and Households

The Kerenelling trace descent from Kerenelli Indigo-Warrior, a son of the Blue Woman and Karganar from when he went upon the Orlanth and Aroka heroquest.

(pg. 12) Factions

They are the faction that refuses to talk of the Hero Wars and seeks to keep the troubles of the world outside.

(pg. 12) Your Friends [formatting of section title is off; both font and size]

Your friends stick by yours in your time of need as well as triumph.

(pg. 14) The Red Cow and Ogres

If the boy refuses Orlind kills him. If the boy knocks her to the floor he is overcome with powerful feelings of lust and rapes her, crying, “no one can make you do anything.” [Does she cry this, or does the boy? If it is the boy, this phrase doesn't seem well suited to the justification for his crime.]

Strangely, goats crop the grass outside the hall, not sheep, and dogs bark to welcome Orlind home.

(pg. 15) Your Gods

Many of these people have an elemental Rune of Water () instead of Air () or Earth () and worship Heler. [Dragon rune is where the Earth rune should be.]

(pg. 15) Your Thunder Brother and Ancestral Hero

You trace your descent from Yinkin, and all dogs, the descendants of Narga, are your enemies.

(pg. 16) Your Wyter: Many-Breath

His bones still lie on a wagon cart, within the burial chamber at the heart of the mound, surrounded by pottery, bronze swords, spears, and daggers.

(pg. 16) Ulanin's Thunderous Charge Feat

His horses reared and plunged in unison, trampling his enemies under hoof.

(pg. 17) The Vengeful Hunter

[Storm Tribe rune is where the Yinkin rune should be.]

(pg. 20) The Hard-Bitten Cattle Raider

[Storm Tribe rune is where the Yinkin rune should be.]

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ainda said:

uhhhhhhh

could I get a little more context for the rape scene, because that may influence my purchasing decision.

It's telling a myth where evil events resulted in people turning into ogres. Hence a cultural tale why rape is so bad and it would be better to die that commit the crime.

19 minutes ago, jongjom said:

It's telling a myth where evil events resulted in people turning into ogres. Hence a cultural tale why rape is so bad and it would be better to die that commit the crime.

okay that's reassuring. i was worried it was being used as a dramatic device. not that it's off limits, but it's something writers should be VERY careful about.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Christoph Kohring said:

This thread should be in the HeroQuest subforum not in the Glorantha one... just saying! :)

Should it?  The book *IS* a HQ book, but it's solidly "Gloranthan" and multiple people have remarked that the content would be very-easily 'ported to RQ(n) (for whatever value of "n" you favor)... 90% {or more) of the content, I understand, is "Glorantha" and only 10% (or less) is HQ.  I believe that places discussions of the book solidly in the Glorantha forum.  Or maybe I misunderstand?

There *IS* a question of whether the errata is slanted so-heavily toward HQ content (fiddly little stat-blocks being so errata-prone) that it should go to the HQ forum instead... but honestly, putting book-discussion and errata-reports in separate places just "feels wrong" to me, unless there were to be an explicit "errata (all rule-sets) forum"!

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

The full color layout looks good, but for working with the pdf I sort of wish I could deactivate it and gain scrolling speed instead. The pdf has a third the number of pages the two pdfs of the Guide have (each), but it scrolls a felt factor of ten slower than the Guide pdfs, making it significantly less joyful to browse.

Alternatively, these products might benefit from a different format and interface as electronic reference documents.While this would undo much of the careful work that has gone into the print layouts, usability might increase significantly.

Coming Storm Errata

p. 11

Bloodlines: The Sardaling bloodline paragraph has their old clan of origin, the Bustings, in bold print, rather than their bloodline name. This cost me several minutes of scrolling and waiting for the graphics to reload (and reload, and reload) to find out what bloodline was referred to.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I've not read for grammar in this chapter, so I have omitted any errors of comma-usage and such in this entry. The magic section of the NPC stat blocks was a big item that I noticed, and I think it might be worthwhile to ensure the format is uniform throughout (e.g., Devotee of Ernalda -- subcult of Asrelia, or Devotee of Ernalda -- Asrelia subcult; my suggestion would be to go with the former, to allow the rune to follow right after the god's name.) I noticed that Orlanth doesn't get his subcults listed at all, even if the NPC is approaching from Movement, or Mastery. Adding the "Larnsting", "Rex", or "Thunderous" identifiers would add a lot of flavor.

Chapter 3

(pg. 22) General Authority Attitudes

The Empire is a powerful adversary and the ring treats it with respect.

(pg. 23) Red Cow Fort

[Map shows the river labeled as Heort River, while the text refers to it throughout the book as Heort Creek.]

(pg. 26) The Great Hall

[Uses "king" throughout. Perhaps this should be changed to "queen" since Ivartha is currently ruling the Cinsina tribe?]

(pg. 34) Salissa Three-Husbands

[Does not have her subcult identifier (Uralda) in her stat block. Her "look" is identical to the entry for Darna Longcoat. There should also be a space between Salissa/Three-Husbands.]

(pg. 35) Farandar Orendalsson

[Does not have his subcult identifier (Barntar) in his stat block.]

(pg. 35) Borngold Many-Brothers

[Does not have his subcult identifier (Voriof) in his stat block.]

(pg. 37) Kernalda Other-Ways

[Her stat block is printed twice, at the beginning and ending of her entry.]

(pg. 40) The Headmen

[Both Jarkorl Snow-Whiskers and Enerin Bristle-Beard do not have "Headman" after their bloodline name as all the other men do.]

(pg. 43) Griselda Gray-Tresses

She is an influential member of the Auroch Bringers.

(pg. 45) Willandring the Giant

[Has only a Disorder rune in the magic portion of his stat block. Should he have a cult or is this intentional?]

(pg. 48 & 49) Sidebar: The Burning of Eoric's Stead

["The Burning of" is cut off and stands on its own on pg. 48 -- the rest of the sidebar continues from "Eoric's Stead" on pg. 49.]

(pg. 48) Sureela Far-Traveled

[Listed as a "Priestess of the Full Moon" in her heading, a "Priestess of She Who Waits" in her description, and an initiate of Yanafal Tarnils in her stat block.]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kaydet said:

Kallyr has the Heat rune in her stat block (pg. 106) from her association with Rigsdal -- shouldn't it be Fire/Sky? I remember that this was a mistake also made in Heroquest Glorantha.

I'm pretty sure it was stated that that is just a Fire/Sky rune in a slightly different style. A true Heat rune, assuming such a thing still exists, would probably have a larger internal circle 

16 minutes ago, Mark Mohrfield said:

I'm pretty sure it was stated that that is just a Fire/Sky rune in a slightly different style. A true Heat rune, assuming such a thing still exists, would probably have a larger internal circle 

That seems more than a little silly. Why not just use the correct rune?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kaydet said:

That seems more than a little silly. Why not just use the correct rune?

I prefer the older version too, but realistically there's pretty much bound to be some variation in how the runes are presented across different cultures, times and even just different art styles.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mark Mohrfield said:

I prefer the older version too, but realistically there's pretty much bound to be some variation in how the runes are presented across different cultures, times and even just different art styles.

I don't disagree with this statement in general, but I think its application here is misplaced. Runes in Glorantha are immortal, immutable concepts indelibly linked to what they are and what they represent. Why would they change? More importantly, why introduce confusion and uncertainty for the sole and dubious benefit of implying that the runes change with culture and time? Glorantha is first and foremost a game world, not an exercise in anthropology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kaydet said:

I don't disagree with this statement in general, but I think its application here is misplaced. Runes in Glorantha are immortal, immutable concepts indelibly linked to what they are and what they represent. Why would they change? More importantly, why introduce confusion and uncertainty for the sole and dubious benefit of implying that the runes change with culture and time? Glorantha is first and foremost a game world, not an exercise in anthropology.

It isn't too much of a change, really, In any case we're getting a little off track, and I recommend starting a new thread if you wish to pursue this subject.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mark Mohrfield said:

It isn't too much of a change, really, In any case we're getting a little off track, and I recommend starting a new thread if you wish to pursue this subject.

I think it's a fairly big change to one of the core elemental runes of Glorantha, but ultimately my opinion doesn't matter a whole lot. I'm willing to table the discussion if you are; I don't think it really deserves its own thread.

Edited by kaydet

Can I suggest that it would be helpful if this thread was split into two, keeping rules-/stat-based errata in one thread, and typos in a different thread?

And with all due respect, is there really any benefit in suggesting edits where the existing text isn't wrong, just that it could be written in a slightly different way to say the same thing?

Edited by Steve
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Joerg said:

The full color layout looks good, but for working with the pdf I sort of wish I could deactivate it and gain scrolling speed instead. The pdf has a third the number of pages the two pdfs of the Guide have (each), but it scrolls a felt factor of ten slower than the Guide pdfs, making it significantly less joyful to browse.

What software are you using to view the PDF, Jeorg? I'm using PDF-XChange Editor on Windows and I'm not having a problem with scrolling speed. Seems to be fine with Acrobat Reader DC too.

Anyone else having a problem?

9 minutes ago, Steve said:

What software are you using to view the PDF, Jeorg? I'm using PDF-XChange Editor on Windows and I'm not having a problem with scrolling speed. Seems to be fine with Acrobat Reader DC too.

Anyone else having a problem?

Using Nitro Pro 8. I since migrated to my Android tablet, which doesn't have this obnoxious behavior either.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

A low resolution or non-background version would have been a nice option as it's a bit slow to scroll at times using Adobe in Windows 10 on my Microsoft desktop PC. However its not a big issue for me as it seems to run much more smooth in iBooks on my iPad, which is predominantly what I use to read pdfs on.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Hi all,

First, thanks for setting this up so that we can pick up the issues that crept through and respond. I want to assure you that we spent hundreds of man hours attempting to error trap but things do creep through.

Second, I want to be clear about what Chaosium considers errata. It does not consider errata to be typos, spelling or grammatical issues that do not present issues with using the text, however annoying you or I may find them. Whilst you might wish to compile a list of those, I suggest that you do so seperately. Unfortunately it is too late for us to crowd-source changes to the printed version, and I could not give you any commitment to when those issues would be corrected in a new PDF or edition. I know some of you may disagree with that, or be dissappointed, but that is just how it is and I don't want you to expend effort on false pretenses.

With that, errata where things need noting such as: " Both Olend Many-Moods on page 17 and Koschei the Weary on page 20 have distinguishing characteristics at 15 instead of 17," is very useful as we can address what those values should be.

I would suggest two lists if you want to pick up typographic errors, for that reason.

I'll try to respond to the errata (not the typographic issues) from the list as I can.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

Second, I want to be clear about what Chaosium considers errata. It does not consider errata to be typos, spelling or grammatical issues that do not present issues with using the text, however annoying you or I may find them.

I'd also note that many of the grammatical issues so far reported aren't errors in grammar. Usages vary.

I'd also note there was an exercise to utilise American spelling.

• Like 5