Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After going through the rules closely, and with the help of Lawrence and Pete created a simplified version of the combat rules, I have decided to use Mythras Imperative as the core ruleset for BRP Space. 

Or rather, what used to be BRP Space. 
 
The new title is M-SPACE. 
 
M as in Mythras, mythic (no, not the solo RPG engine) and modular. See the newish cover below. 
 
I think this will be a very good engine for running sci-fi scenarios and campaigns. It's a quick, flexible and creative ruleset, and with the additions brought with the book, I'm very happy with the result. And I am, as always, very grateful for the input I have gotten from all of you here on the forums. Thank you. 
 
I've already started adding the Mythras Imperative rules to the book, and I believe it will be a quite smooth process. I don't have an ETA yet though. Changing the core will result in a few rewrites throughout the book, and I'm not certain yet how extensive these will be (not breaking any compatibilties with other BRP engines though). 
 
I will keep you updated on my progress!
 
M-SPACE Cover Preview.jpg
 
 
  • Like 18
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mainly space opera (or mythic sci-fi, as I prefer to call it), but with a few tweaks it can do other styles as well. It can emulate most mainstream sci-fi like Traveller, Star Wars, Ringworld and so on, but for harder sci-fi it would need some complementary rules for starship combat. My aim has been to make starship combat as quick and fun as regular BRP/Mythras combat; realistic starship combat is probably more like present day submarines being aided by powerful AIs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Vile said:

As a long-time player and referee of Traveller (using RQ2/3 rules) I long ago gave up on the idea of realistic space combat being fun for players. Good for arbitrary TPKs, but not generally fun.

Yep, realistic / hard sf space combat is about as "funny" as a train crash. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, clarence said:

Mainly space opera (or mythic sci-fi, as I prefer to call it), but with a few tweaks it can do other styles as well. It can emulate most mainstream sci-fi like Traveller, Star Wars, Ringworld and so on, but for harder sci-fi it would need some complementary rules for starship combat. My aim has been to make starship combat as quick and fun as regular BRP/Mythras combat; realistic starship combat is probably more like present day submarines being aided by powerful AIs. 

Very nice.  Have you had access too, or taken inspiration from, the dogfighting rules in the short-lived RQ6 Star Wars fan conversation by Pete Nash?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I have joined the TDM forums! Thanks for the invitation. I will post something about M-SPACE later today. 

Regarding hit locations, there will be both the regular Imperative rules, and a simplified system without hit locations. I've been thinking about having two different (very similar) character sheets; do you want that?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 minutes ago, clarence said:

Ok, I have joined the TDM forums! Thanks for the invitation. I will post something about M-SPACE later today. 

Regarding hit locations, there will be both the regular Imperative rules, and a simplified system without hit locations. I've been thinking about having two different (very similar) character sheets; do you want that?

I like that idea. But I am biased and have always loved crunchy combat and most importantly the ability to dismember or decapitate somebody. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will make a simplified version too, as I will need it for my own games : )

9 hours ago, Atlatl Jones said:

 

Very nice.  Have you had access too, or taken inspiration from, the dogfighting rules in the short-lived RQ6 Star Wars fan conversation by Pete Nash?

Hmm, not really. I have the PDF, but I haven't looked at the dogfighting rules. I will do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...