FAMOUS DUCKS OF THE HERO WARS!

Stew Stansfield

Hi, all!

Well, this thread's been up for three years and it's been a good run! There've been some really fun posts and I'm grateful for the interactions. But I'll probably draw my contributions to a close in the form of this thread. Please continue if you'd like (don't mind me)!

One thing I would say, though:

Glorantha's ducks are, for the most part, little more than a superficial shibboleth; a fairly shallow badge of tribal belonging; the sign that doesn't really signify anything. But occasionally, if we let them, they become more interesting. Try and focus on telling those rarer stories if you can. They pay off in the end. 😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

On 8/9/2019 at 9:03 PM, Rick Meints said:

Greg Stafford said his original inspiration for ducks was Uncle Scrooge drawn by Carl Barks, with a bit of Howard the Duck thrown in.

Interesting—Howard the Duck was definitely the model for my duck, right down to the definite article for a middle name.

1084561146_ScreenShot2019-08-17at19_07_19.jpg.0873354dd6caad5be41a6afd5dcb5558.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Quackatoa said:

Well, this thread's been up for three years and it's been a good run! There've been some really fun posts and I'm grateful for the interactions. But I'll probably draw my contributions to a close in the form of this thread. Please continue if you'd like (don't mind me)!

Quackatoa, ya taught me how to put together a great thread with this one, not that I learnt anything, but that would be my fault, not yours. Hope you have more to say on the Ducks of the Hero Wars, famous or otherwise in the future.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 8/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Travern said:

Interesting—Howard the Duck was definitely the model for my duck, right down to the definite article for a middle name.

1084561146_ScreenShot2019-08-17at19_07_19.jpg.0873354dd6caad5be41a6afd5dcb5558.jpg

Despite his modern trappings could certainly see Gerber & Kirby's  Destroyer Duck as a model for a Durulz Uroxi. Heck, he's fought both zombies and Medea (of all people), and the parasitic spine thing is a Chaos horror if ever there was one.

20417-3167-22778-1-destroyer-duck.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

And some people say ducks don't like necromancy...

A peculiar little supplement for a peculiar little people, coming in a month or so! (When I finish a couple more pieces of art at my usual glacial pace.) It will focus on the DUCKS, the DUCKS AND and the MORE DUCKS counters of Dragon Pass (Chaosium, 1980). Included will be:

• the wyters and guardian spirits of the three duck counters, and their history, lore and mysteries
  • detailed stats and descriptions of the duck warriors, their arms and armament, and insights into the secrets of duck warfare
  • new Rune spells, spirit cults and magic items
  • expanded character-creation options, including additional Family History tables and all-new occupations and skills

1392223030_DDMDPosterFinal.thumb.jpg.d821e0b04741cef6ac4a29887a9c3131.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 5:08 PM, Stew Stansfield said:

A peculiar little supplement for a peculiar little people, coming in a month or so! (When I finish a couple more pieces of art at my usual glacial pace.) It will focus on the DUCKS, the DUCKS AND and the MORE DUCKS counters of Dragon Pass (Chaosium, 1980). Included will be:

• the wyters and guardian spirits of the three duck counters, and their history, lore and mysteries
  • detailed stats and descriptions of the duck warriors, their arms and armament, and insights into the secrets of duck warfare
  • expanded character-creation options, including additional Family History tables and all-new occupations and skills

On 5/3/2020 at 5:08 PM, Stew Stansfield said:

This never was published, right? 

3 hours ago, Jag said:

This never was published, right? 

Not yet. Eagerly awaited! But lockdown, Covid, etc., y'know? The best-laid plans of men and ducks...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

What stats/special skills do your Warlocks have? 🤩

For now, mostly just the material benefits from being some of the White Bull's favored apprentices: free skill training from White Bull Society trainers, Argrath paying to give them improved POW gain rolls, that sort of thing.  He also hooked each of them up with a fine Praxian mount (the duck rides a bolo lizard).  At this stage they're more warlocks-in-training, not the real deal yet.

They did learn some unique magic during today's session though.  Their mission is to support the White Bull assault on Corflu by finding magic to neutralize the Watchdog of Corflu.  Today the Cleansed One, the Zola Fel's hero or demigod, taught them a magical ceremony that they can use to wash away the Lunar 'programming' that directs the Watchdog's actions, rendering it inert.  The duck, a CHA 20 assistant shaman trained in Nochet, leads the ceremony in song.  The group's Sable Rider martial leader sings in harmony with her.  The group's Pavis Mostali combat engineer pronounces words of power in resonance with the song.  The group's White Moon-affiliated Tarshite sorcerer uses Lunar rites to invoke the tidal power of the Blue Moon.  The rites are directed through a wooden idol of Zola Fel, prepared and tended by the group's Green Aldryama wood-shaper.  If everybody hits their marks they'll erase the Watchdog's Moon-affinity, wash away its Lunar programming, and render it both inert and malleable. 

The White Bull Society's assault on Corflu hinges on their disabling the construct; Argrath tasked this warlock band with traveling the entire length of the Zola Fel, from the Leaping Place to his estuary, specifically to learn this magic from the Cleansed One while re-enacting Zola Fel's original march back to the sea in the Great Darkness.  They'll gain more magic if they can defeat the Lunars at Corflu and actually reach the ocean shore--dealing with the strategic issue and further empowering his followers with the same stroke, just as Argrath intended.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Necromancy feels appropriate, given the location... Anyway, the Army of Duckness kickstarter from Fenris Games just opened, featuring miniature sculpts based on @Stew Stansfield's pioneering artwork as seen in this thread. This is Part One, and runs for just one week, so you'd be quackers to wait too long to hop on board!

ArmyofDuckness.png.56bed932cabb78375f0f4a50fbad1fba.png

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1