Mythras vs Other D100 games

umbraldragon

Lately, I've had a chance to take a breather and look at some other D100 games, some unique systems as well. No matter how complicated they say their games are or how innovative and "new," I still keep coming to the same conclusion. I like Mythras better. In terms of playability, the more you play the smoother it feels. Combats, whether they include magic or ranged, or melee, or whatever, make sense to me more and more. I've seen a few other D100 games that combine constitution with size or another stat to make a pool of hit points. This is okay for some games, although I can't think of any at the moment; but, I like the concept of how shields work, and helmets, and piecemeal armor, you lose a bit of tension once you combine hit points and take away the hit locations. And, even though Mythras isn't a tabletop miniatures wargame, with grids or hexes and a stack of rules to handle the logistics of movement, it works at that level, even with armies battling each other with champions on the field that can effect the outcome, or ship combat with boarding parties of marines or barbarians. I've also had a chance to sit and look through a friend's library of old RQ stuff and I can see the progression to what it has become today. Once that happened, the light came on so to speak and I was left awed at how massive an accomplishment this is. Pete and Lawrence seem to make it look like a piece of cake, but really there is a lot of work and passion involved in producing a work like Mythras. The quality of the work is also reflected in the layout and design of the book itself. If you compare this work to modern D100 games - no offense, it's just an observation - you can see the difference in the elegance of the writing, the layout, the font choices, the artwork, the amazing cover artwork, the logos, and even the system itself. Other games seem clunky to me now that I'm getting the hang of this amazing game. And, I have to admit it, at first I was put off by all of the material for Glorantha, but now that I've taken the time to peruse with an open mind, it too has become something I would like to be a part of. I've already asked around about how to start a campaign using Mythras in Glorantha and I have come across a very interesting supplement I get to borrow - Dorastor Land of Doom, which I plan to convert and run once I get that done. I just wanted to put this out there one more time. Mythras gets better with time and I think it just evolves on it's own. I keep running into gamers that are enthralled with 5E, and I just can't share their enthusiasm. I have limited time and I'd rather play more Mythras. I don't get tired of spreading the word and getting people interested in Mythras. I apologize for the lengthy rant, just my thoughts on how this game keeps putting down roots in my gaming life (what little there is of it - lol!) B)

• Like 6

RQ6/Mythras was clearly a labor of love.  As you mention, it's abundantly obvious in a number of different ways that this entire project was put together by people that care about the subject and have put a LOT of thought into trying to approach certain things in a fresh way, and not just churning out the same old tired mechanics from previous versions (like MRQ1/2).

For ME personally, some of the ideas were hits, some were misses.  Just having the balls to try is laudable.  I'm not going to review it here.  But I can easily see how other gamers could find Mythras to be their go-to game.

7 hours ago, styopa said:

But I can easily see how other gamers could find Mythras to be their go-to game.

Well, it is a system which does what I want it to do, and it does it for very different settings, without requiring a lot of modifications - which I cannot say about any of the other d100 systems I know. :)

• Like 1

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

6 hours ago, rust said:

Well, it is a system which does what I want it to do, and it does it for very different settings, without requiring a lot of modifications - which I cannot say about any of the other d100 systems I know. :)

It is definitely flexible and can do a lot as far as core mechanics go. 

The RQ6 book is briiliant, and well worth all the praise it gets. In my bookcase CoC 7E and RQ6 have pride of place. RQ6 feels like a worthy successor to RQ2 and RQ3. The resources are also great, I am still in awe of Mythic Britain, and I can't wait for the upcoming Mythras books over the next few months

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"