Alternate uses for CHA?

Whisker89

I've tried this a few times.  I assigned Social Points as a function of CHA and POW, using the hit points chart to generate the Social Points.  When the social interaction begins I treat it like a combat scene with each element being able to be used like weapon damage.  Ex: Alderman Landers is distraught over the PC's entering the village.  The PCs are being asked to stay and wait for the Alderman.  This is where there will be some rolls, opposed Persuasion versus Willpower.  The guard wins the first round and his confidence along with his sociopolitical position, though minor, nets him a D8 vs the character's Social Points and rolls a 5.  One of the PCs is down 5 from 24.  Is this scene over?  Possibly.  There is still the Alderman to consider.  And they have a writ that counts as a high damage weapon in this particular situation, one time use.  Does the PC want to risk humiliation?  or perhaps lose face/respect? Once those 24 points are gone, the PC is demoralized and needs to recuperate.  This makes social maneuvering a bit more of a risk with low stats in CHA and POW.  The system needs some work, sure.  Is it something everyone wants to use?  Probably not, but it works for me and the way I like to game.  I just wanted to share that with you.  I borrowed heavily from Monsters & Magic, so it's not originally my idea.  There are other examples of what would constitute social armor, like a golden coach, or ornate regal clothing, and what could be used as weapons, like information, threats, compliments (consider seduction) or a simple act like accepting a drink from the wrong person in a highly charged political intrigue. B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It may interest some of you in this thread that I'm working on a varient of OpenQuest where Stats play a greater role in determining skill levels and where there's a social conflict mechanism (which had Confiedence points dervived from CHA last pass - which may get dropped though). Its not quite there for public consumption but when it is I'll post the bits that are relevant to this thread :)

• Like 4

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

In RQ2, you could only bind spirits up to your CHA / 3, so each bound spirit took up 3 CHA, so using CHA as a dump stat seriously affects how many bound spirits you could have, which affects the number of Battle Magic spells you can keep and the number of Power points you can have access to. Shamans also used CHA to gain controlled spirits.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 month later...
On 22.9.2016 at 0:57 PM, Newt said:

It may interest some of you in this thread that I'm working on a varient of OpenQuest where Stats play a greater role in determining skill levels and where there's a social conflict mechanism (which had Confiedence points dervived from CHA last pass - which may get dropped though). Its not quite there for public consumption but when it is I'll post the bits that are relevant to this thread :)

This might be straying a little of topic, but that sounds interesting ... is this going to be a new edition of OpenQuest? Or is it mabe tied to this?

Just asking because I'm still kind of looking for that perfect BRP version for me ... at the moment, it is OpenQuest with some Renaissance mixed in (expecially like their take of hit locations), and some Mythras for further inspiration on culture types and life events. But a BRP with greater stat influence sounds definitely like something that's worth a look,

The 'perfect BRP version' is the one you make for your self :)

As for what I was talking about being a new version of OpenQuest, no Its own thing (it has the working title of D100#). If I was to do a new version of OQ it would be more tweaks and streamlining, rather than one of those new editions were the changes make it in effect a new game (like the change from AD&D to D&D 3rd).

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I'm kind of a not-system-tinker ... I like it when something works for me and I don't have to think too much about why it works. OpenQuest comes pretty close, but I always like to try out new stuff (in the moment, that's RQ6/Mythras for me, but I guess in the long run that will turn out too rules-heavy ...).