Mythic Iceland 2nd Edition is progressing!

smiorgan

In the podcast on ‘What’s happening at Chaosium’ there is interesting info on Mythic Iceland. They said that Pedro Ziviani has turned in the mauscript of the second edition. It will be a standalone game. A large campaign across the Viking world is in the works.

http://www.mu-podcast.com/mup-special-report-whats-happening-chaosium-2016/

• Like 2

Excellent news!

I wonder if it will be closer to RQ or to CoC in mechanics? 

It does lend itself to strike-by-strike combat and to rolling Hit Locations, so it should play more similar to RQ I would fhink.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

4 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Excellent news!

I wonder if it will be closer to RQ or to CoC in mechanics? 

It does lend itself to strike-by-strike combat and to rolling Hit Locations, so it should play more similar to RQ I would fhink.

I guess RQ, but who knows?

Lots of things in the works at present, things are much more focused than a year ago, so it all sounds good.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

The Mythic Iceland 2nd ed. manuscript has indeed been handed over to Chaosium and it’s now going through editing and art direction.

It’s been wonderful to be given the chance to work on this new edition and to improve on the original book. I’m very excited about Mythic Iceland 2n ed. being standalone game, and about all the new content that I have used in my own games over the years and I am now able to share with everyone else.

Below is a brief summary of what’s new.

• Complete rules included, based on new RuneQuest rules (with many changes).
  • More character creation options, many examples included.
  • Completely reworked god allegiance system - more options, more flavor, more cool powers, and easier to use.
  • Rune Magic system has been streamlined while keeping all the flexibility from the previous edition.
  • New Seiður Magic system that is simple yet deep, and based on how seiður (a form of shamanism) appears in the Icelandic Sagas. It's got a very distinct flavor from rune magic.
  • New rules for ship handling and naval chases.
  • New rules for repairing damaged weapons and damaged ships.
  • New rules for running a Viking raid from begining to end, based on risk/reward balance, includes tables for loot, opposition, and town design.
  • Two new adventures included - First adventure is heavy on the mythical and follows a scripted design. Second adventure is a murder mystery sandbox that plays like a tragic Viking Saga story featuring greed, love, and death.
  • A set of ready-to-play characters so you can get gaming right away.
  • Lots of rule tweaks and added setting details. No chapter was left untouched.
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, PZiviani said:

Below is a brief summary of what’s new.

• Complete rules included, based on new RuneQuest rules (with many changes).
  • More character creation options, many examples included.
  • Completely reworked god allegiance system - more options, more flavor, more cool powers, and easier to use.
  • Rune Magic system has been streamlined while keeping all the flexibility from the previous edition.
  • New Seiður Magic system that is simple yet deep, and based on how seiður (a form of shamanism) appears in the Icelandic Sagas. It's got a very distinct flavor from rune magic.
  • New rules for ship handling and naval chases.
  • New rules for repairing damaged weapons and damaged ships.
  • New rules for running a Viking raid from begining to end, based on risk/reward balance, includes tables for loot, opposition, and town design.
  • Two new adventures included - First adventure is heavy on the mythical and follows a scripted design. Second adventure is a murder mystery sandbox that plays like a tragic Viking Saga story featuring greed, love, and death.
  • A set of ready-to-play characters so you can get gaming right away.
  • Lots of rule tweaks and added setting details. No chapter was left untouched.

This is awesome! 

Mr. Ziviani, would you like to comment on these rumors:

Pedro is working on a new series of books for the new Mythic Iceland line, including a Mythic Iceland Companion and a massive Mythic Iceland campaign!

:P

Edited by MatteoN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When Chaosium stated that their new RuneQuest (RQ7) would be Glorantha-only, I thought they would stop supporting any Mythic Earth setting. I'm glad to see I was wrong, and that we will enjoy a new edition of Mythic Iceland.

Grając zaś w grę komputerową, być może zdarzyło się wam zapragnąć zejść z wyznaczonej przez autorów ścieżki i, miast zabić smoka i ożenić się z księżniczką, zabić księżniczkę i ożenić się ze smokiem.

• 4 months later...
On 12/7/2016 at 1:52 PM, Claudius said:

When Chaosium stated that their new RuneQuest (RQ7) would be Glorantha-only, I thought they would stop supporting any Mythic Earth setting. I'm glad to see I was wrong, and that we will enjoy a new edition of Mythic Iceland.

BRP continues; RQG is the Glorantha-specific iteration of those rules; Mythic Iceland is another.  Expect more than just those.

But, since this *IS* the Mythic Iceland thread:  *nudge*  Any further word?  ;)

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 4 months later...
On 4/16/2017 at 6:17 AM, g33k said:

BRP continues; RQG is the Glorantha-specific iteration of those rules; Mythic Iceland is another.  Expect more than just those.

But, since this *IS* the Mythic Iceland thread:  *nudge*  Any further word?  ;)

We're quite excited about the RuneQuest Fantasy Earth line, which already has several products in development. 

I'll readily cop to being the bottleneck here... all focus was towards getting the core rules for the new RQ lined up for Pedro to use as the base. When he started the revision last year, the core rules were not locked down, and some things were still "soft". As is now planned, Mythic Iceland will be fully compatible with RQG, and will be the first product in the Fantasy Earth line. Many more will follow. 

Getting that squared away required me to go through his manuscript meticulously and point out discrepancies between his treatment of the BRP rules and the RQ ones, and make some careful decisions about what needed to change.

Now, Pedro now has a full blueprint of what we need his manuscript to become, and a copy of the RQG rules for adaptation. Jeff had a sit-down with him at Gen Con to discuss things, and we'll do a face-to-face status check at The Kraken, in October. 

• Like 6

Danke!

8 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

... the RuneQuest Fantasy Earth line ...  

Huh...  I don't think I had previously noted this product-identity.

8 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

... several products in development ... 

... Mythic Iceland will be ... the first product in the Fantasy Earth line. Many more will follow...

Heya!  Just gonna drop the teaser and walk away?  C'mon, man!  Give us a topic or two, at least !!!   :blink:

:D

Edited by g33k
forgot to smiley when I said that

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/24/2017 at 10:02 AM, g33k said:

Danke!

came out earlier this year. https://www.chaosium.com/blog/rqgnew-runequest-edition-to-be-known-as-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha/
https://www.chaosium.com/roleplaying-game-submissions/ has the info on Mythic Fantasy Earth.

Sounds good. I didn't get a lot of mileage out of the original since it just seemed to be a toolbox of information that was freely available to a fan of history/mythology/general research. An attempt at a full on game sounds more up my alley. 

To be clear, the first one was awesome, but more of a "throw it in the blender" work like a lot of the Alephtar books that came out around the same time (which I also love). This one sounds more like a Gamebook TM.

Thanks, Pedro.

121/420

On 8/24/2017 at 7:02 PM, g33k said:

Danke!

Heya!  Just gonna drop the teaser and walk away?  C'mon, man!  Give us a topic or two, at least !!!   :blink:

:D

We've talked about RQ Fantasy Earth before. The RQ3 rules discussed it, and we've been quite explicit about what we'd like to see for the line on our website. https://www.chaosium.com/roleplaying-game-submissions/ 

Specifically, this: 

RuneQuest Fantasy Earth

We are also looking for supplements set in RuneQuest Fantasy Earth. These use the rules template presented in the new RuneQuest Mythic Iceland. These might be additional adventures set in the North Sea of the 9th or 10th centuries AD, using Icelandic Adventurers along the lines of Egil’s Saga or the Viking Romances. 

We are also looking for new settings for RuneQuest Fantasy Earth, such as Anglo-Saxon England, Constantinople under the Macedonian Dynasty, the Holy Roman Empire during the Ottonians, Abbasid Baghdad, Heian period Japan, the China of Di Renjie, etc. All RuneQuest Fantasy Earth settings should be set in a specific historical period and culture. Don't try to present everything - focus on a specific city or region. Be historically accurate without being pedantic.

A new setting book will need to include a short self-contained rules section that includes creating characters in that setting, the RQ game mechanics and combat system, magic for that setting (which should not be based on Rune spells or sorcery - the Gloranthan Runes are not present in fantasy Earth!).

All going according to plan, Pedro will be following Mythic Iceland up with a companion book. We'd like to do an adventure book. I've suggested that we remove the Skraeling/North America material from Mythic Iceland and flesh it out to be its own campaign. IIRC there's something about the Rus in the works. 

We're close to signing a contract for a longtime Chaosium contributor to do a a much later-era book, contents to be revealed. 

On other fronts, we'd LOVE to see a book about medieval Germany. I'd love to see a book about Constantinople, or about 16th century Prague and King Rudolf II's obsession with alchemy. A Japan book would be most welcome. 

The plans for Mythic Iceland sound very interesting. I'm looking forward to what will be produced. 

4 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

On other fronts, we'd LOVE to see a book about medieval Germany. I'd love to see a book about Constantinople, or about 16th century Prague and King Rudolf II's obsession with alchemy. A Japan book would be most welcome. 

Any chance of an ancient mythic-period of Greece? Jason and the Argonauts type romp through the known and mythic world? This has always seemed the epitome of RuneQuest on Earth to me. 

Edited by jongjom
Addition

5 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

All going according to plan, Pedro will be following Mythic Iceland up with a companion book. We'd like to do an adventure book. I've suggested that we remove the Skraeling/North America material from Mythic Iceland and flesh it out to be its own campaign. IIRC there's something about the Rus in the works. 

We're close to signing a contract for a longtime Chaosium contributor to do a a much later-era book, contents to be revealed. 

Okay, now we're talking!!!  A peek into the pipeline (noting for all the fanboiz&grrlz that some of these are preliminary/speculative & may fail-to-launch for reasons outside Chaosium control) ...

• Iceland Companion... I recall hearing mention before, but had forgotten; good to have the reminder!
  • Collected-adventure book (for Iceland, from context?)
  • Suggestion of a separate "Skraeling" book (any chance of this leading to an entire "Mythic Americas" setting (vs. a Norse-centric "skraeling" POV)?
  • something Rus "iirc"
  • "a much-later era book contents TBR" (a year-ish ago, Chaosium was hinting at a "Noir Detective" (non-Mythos) book... this it?)
  • Wish-listing:  Medieval Germany; Constantinople; Penaissance Prague; Japan...

Thanks for this; it's everything I could have wished you to tell us, and more than I expected!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Medieval Germany - which period? Karolingian Germany/France would be a good companion for early Viking time, Ottonic Germany has its charms, the rise and fall of the Hanseatic League would be my favourite (also because you get to travel to other fun places when not being mired in German affairs).

I guess there ought to be some know-how among German players of RQ or other BRP systems.

Jeff already researched 30-year-War Germany for the Westfalian Peace freeform, so one could build onto that material.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis