Can anybody tell me about this Japanese edition of Stormbringer that I found?

PolymorphSelf

Hi all. First post here. I recently moved to Japan and at a local game store found this Stormbringer boxed set. As a fan of Elric, Yoshitaka Amano and RPGs I had to buy it. However, I've only ever seen this edition, which looks like a game booklet not a box...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DSs2bX13hVc/TBvXlbU6rWI/AAAAAAAACKQ/U2juplBHoQw/w1200-h630-p-nu/japanesestormbringer.jpg

what ive got is totally different. It says it was published in 1988 and from what I've read it was only published I Japan once, so I'm confused. I can't seem to find a picture of what I have anywhere on Google. Here it is.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I know nothing of Japanese editions of Stormbringer, but judging exclusively from the font of the title I'd say the book is 5th edition (around 2001) and the box is first or second edition. 

Grognardia also says the book is 5th edition:

http://grognardia.blogspot.ch/2010/06/japanese-stormbringer.html

Here's the English originals:

http://www.waynesbooks.com/ElricStormbringer.html

Edited by smiorgan

• 3 months later...

Hobby Japan is an amazing company that was licensed by various game companies to do Japanese translations/editions of many popular RPGs and wargames starting in the 1970s. They've been around for almost 50 years. Chaosium licensed a number of their games to them, including RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer back in the 1980s. They also did editions of the boxed games Dragon Pass and Arkham Horror. I don't have a list of all of the supplements they translated for each product line, but I know they did a wide range of 2nd/3rd edition Call of Cthulhu and 3rd edition RuneQuest supplements up through the 1990s. I'm not sure when they stopped producing them. 

As for Stormbringer, they did the main boxed set and at least 3 "Companions" of supplements. 

Of all the Chaosium products, their licensed foreign editions are where my knowledge is the sketchiest. I didn't even become aware of any of the non-US market until I moved to the UK in 1995. That's when I began discovering the UK, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Japanese, Finnish, etc. editions. What a wonderful array.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.