What Renaissance products would you like to see ?

Ade

1 hour ago, K Peterson said:

Yeah, that's why I had a triple post further up the thread. There didn't seem to be any reaction when I clicked "Submit Reply", so I tried a few times. Finally, I just backed out of the thread, looked again and noticed all my submits went through.

Exactly!

8 hours ago, Mysterioso said:

Has anyone else being getting wonky interactions with BRP Central? It has been odd on my end recently.

Yes, this is why I had a triple post in another thread a few days ago.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

15 hours ago, K Peterson said:

15 hours ago, K Peterson said:

Alright then. Do we need to twist @doomedpc

Another problem I am finding when posting via my phone is that if I have previously quoted from an earlier comment all future posts try and include it :/ 

Anyway... Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming. I am more than happy to post updates of where I am with my stuff here. On Kingsport I am at the mapping and notes stage. It will be hand drawn similar to the earlier Chaosium maps and am basing it on the port of Marblehead, Mass. with some obvious poetic licence.

4 hours ago, HeirophantX said:

I would love to see the Temeraire novels as a setting.  We've already got Pirates and Dragons.  Why not put those dragons into harness?

That could be done against either a C&S or a Napoleonic backdrop :)

1 hour ago, TRose said:

One period I always wanted to see is a game set in the Conquistador period. The Conquistadors where Real adventurers ,traveling in small bands, most who died and a handful who struck in very rich.

Interesting. I must admit my knowledge of that era is only secondary through central American archaeology papers and a couple of novels. I can see the adventure aspect 

3 hours ago, Ade said:

Interesting. I must admit my knowledge of that era is only secondary through central American archaeology papers and a couple of novels. I can see the adventure aspect 

Well Pizzaro was once down to thirteen men on his way to conquer Peru, while Cabeza De Vaca explored much of the Southwest of the USA with just 3 companions.

And think of the fun you could have changing things. Lost Viking or Roman colony, El Dorado is real, , the last Sabertooth Tiger or Bigfoot encounter the party etc. You never know whats over the next hill.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TRose said:

Well Pizzaro was once down to thirteen men on his way to conquer Peru, while Cabeza De Vaca explored much of the Southwest of the USA with just 3 companions.

Soto's story is rather fascinating too. (See: Hernando De Soto: A Savage Quest in the Americas (David Ewing Duncan))

Edited by Mysterioso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TRose said:

And think of the fun you could have changing things. Lost Viking or Roman colony, El Dorado is real, , the last Sabertooth Tiger or Bigfoot encounter the party etc. You never know whats over the next hill.

With this option, the possibilities are endless. 

I've often thought a similar game moved forward to the times between Lewis and Clark and the end of the Mountain Men would be very fun to play.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2016 at 2:01 AM, TrippyHippy said:

Elizabethan England and Italian Renaissance period. 

In terms of unfilled niches, going a little forward in time, it appears there is not really a French Musketeers rule set out there (which is interesting as I'd say that Dumas' The Three Musketeers is the Ur text of the style of play that is found in RPGs).

(BTW, I know Flashing Blades is still around. But how much of a presence does FGU have in the RPG market today?)

Edited by Mysterioso
  • Like 3

And another Game I would be interested in is one based around the Honorable East Indian Company. Men of lesser birth and even lesser reputation could go to work for the company as traders or mercenaries and die filthy rich.  All sort of politics skullduggery and out right conquest would be involved.

The company not even had its own army but even its own Navy and even the Navy at times was expected to make a profit( Hmmm, How do you make a profit for the owners when you are in charge of a Frigate?)

And if I am going to bring up the East India company how many of you are familiar with James Brooks the White Rajah of Sarawak? He could be a model of what your players are trying to do.

Edited by TRose
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TRose said:

Another period ignored  by us in the US and Western Europe is the Russian/Cossack  expansion east. The Russian did not stop till they reached Alaska and even traded with Japan AFTER Japan closed it doors to most European.

That's something I know NOTHING about but sounds fascinating... a whole other frontier than the one we're used to hearing about... AND it would give me an excuse to play characters using a ridiculous Russian accent.

Are there any good movies or books (in English or with subtitles) about this?

EDIT: It looks like Kurosawa's ' Dersu Uzala ' might be a good one.

Edited by Simlasa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Simlasa said:

That's something I know NOTHING about but sounds fascinating... a whole other frontier than the one we're used to hearing about... AND it would give me an excuse to play characters using a ridiculous Russian accent.

Are there any good movies or books (in English or with subtitles) about this?

EDIT: It looks like Kurosawa's ' Dersu Uzala ' might be a good one.

Peter Hopkirk's The Great Game, Like Hidden Fire, and Setting the East Ablaze are all excellent, fascinating reads. James Palmer's The Bloody White Baron is also recommended.

• Like 2

French and Indian War mini setting

Early Old West, California Gold Rush mini setting

But as I already mentioned in another thread a full campaign setting for the Mexican Revolution with culturally appropriate, subtle folk magic would be my dream product. (Link to the discussion.) doomedpc certainly seemed to like the idea!

• Like 2
RPGbericht (Dutch)

10 hours ago, Vorax Transtellaris said:

French and Indian War mini setting

Early Old West, California Gold Rush mini setting

But as I already mentioned in another thread a full campaign setting for the Mexican Revolution with culturally appropriate, subtle folk magic would be my dream product. (Link to the discussion.) doomedpc certainly seemed to like the idea!

Having just watched The Professionals, I'd say a Mexican Revolution setting with various Mexican factions, Texas Rangers, and Black Jack Pershing would be VERY nice and could provide for some amazing adventures. 

As for it being marketable, there are rumors of an Old West setting for Cthulhu by Gaslight.  I suspect there would be quite a few folks who'd be willing to pick-up something that moves the action from Shane (Gaslight) to The Wild Bunch (Jazz Age) but stays within the D100 family enough to cross systems for use. 

• Like 2

Kevin Ross' Old West Cthulhu setting Down Darker Trails is indeed in Chaosium's pipeline and a definite must-buy for me, but it's going to be strictly 19th century.

The long overdue d100 game Raiders of R'lyeh, which is going to be set in the 1910s, will include some material on the Mexican Revolution AFAIK. This is still being worked on and preview material given out to KS backers so far looks very promising but there's no telling when it will finally be finished.

Help us Abe, Cakebread & Walton, you're our only hope! ^_^

• Like 3
RPGbericht (Dutch)

I wouldn't mind a sourcebook or a campaign book dealing with the Protectorate and maybe Cromwells Western design (How do clockwork devices handle the humid jungles of Jamaica?). Also I need this question answered does Cromwell die or will he have his brain encased in a clockwork device of some sort?

• Like 2