Is the monster in Stranger Things from Call of Cthulhu?

MOB

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think the whole thing is CoC based, dimensional portals, people losing their sanity mysterious disappearances. It's clear to me but my D&D based friend says the monster is a MindFlayer from the Monster Manual, which is clearly Lovecraftian in its concept anyway. Either way HPL is all over Stranger Things.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Darius West said:

It is looking a bit more Bloody Tongue-esque.

I agree: the new season two monster certainly resembles Nyarlathotep's Bloody Tongue aspect (and definitely has the feel of a giant, Great Old One style monster)

For clarity though: the original post was talking about the season one monster.

On 21/11/2017 at 3:58 AM, Addison said:

I would go further. Given the Duffer Brothers' love of role playing, their inclusion of D&D as an ongoing plot device in the series, and their mention of Lovecraft, there is no conceivable way that Chaosium's  Call Of Cthulhu game itself wasn't THE major influence on Stranger Things.

Tabletop Tribe rightly lists CALL OF CTHULHU as one of games the Stranger Things Kids might have played back in the 80's—along with Talisman and Axis and Allies(!), among others. But watching the show, regardless of what they're playing, it's clear those kids are in a Call of Cthulhu scenario...

https://www.tabletoptribe.com/games-stranger-things-kids-play-dnd/

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Careful, some of us haven’t watched it yet. I shall stay away from this thread till I have, just in case. Not having a moan, just a gentle reminder that  there’s spoiler tags. 

My answer to the thread title is, of course! From the beginning the show was clearly a Call scenario. Sadly the D&D mob have claimed it, even producing a new starter set which, frankly, looks a bit poor. Given the makers have licensed for D&D, might they be interested in licensing to Chaosium? A Stranger Things Call of Cthulhu starter set could bring the game a lot of new attention.