Aeon Games

Claudius

11 hours ago, Verderer said:

Odd, because Paypal is not listed as payment method when in checkout? It only asks your card details?

AND European delivery is still listed free... are we talking about the same site?:lol:

Sort of like on the Design Mechanism's online store in which the most expensive shipping is tacked on (I almost swallowed my tongue) to be sorted out later. I panicked then went through the process (I normally buy on Lulu unless pre-ordering) and relaxed in time. 

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

19 hours ago, skarl said:

Sort of like on the Design Mechanism's online store in which the most expensive shipping is tacked on (I almost swallowed my tongue) to be sorted out later. I panicked then went through the process (I normally buy on Lulu unless pre-ordering) and relaxed in time. 

Depending on where you're shipping to, you should be given a range of shipping options and costs. We have never tacked on the most expensive shipping; up until quite recently, shipping outside the US was heavily subsidized. However, shipping anything from the US to a non-US destination is becoming more and more costly to do. And we have no control over it.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

On 9/7/2016 at 4:44 PM, lawrence.whitaker said:

Depending on where you're shipping to, you should be given a range of shipping options and costs. We have never tacked on the most expensive shipping; up until quite recently, shipping outside the US was heavily subsidized. However, shipping anything from the US to a non-US destination is becoming more and more costly to do. And we have no control over it.

Well, when I ordered my copy from the TDM store ( a day or three ago), the most expensive shipping (~$35 for overnight UPS, if I recall correctly) was added by default.  I was able to choose a less costly option, but there WAS a moment of "Holy Shit!" when I saw shipping almost as much as the cost of the book.  I live in the U.S.  If you all can look into changing the way shipping is added to new orders at first click, I think you will do your patrons a service.

Edited by ThornPlutonius

^That is what I meant. There's that initial shock that I recalled from before that is sorted out later.

Edited by skarl
Grammar

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

3 hours ago, ThornPlutonius said:

Well, when I ordered my copy from the TDM store ( a day or three ago), the most expensive shipping (~$35 for overnight UPS, if I recall correctly) was added by default.  I was able to choose a less costly option, but there WAS a moment of "Holy Shit!" when I saw shipping almost as much as the cost of the book.  I live in the U.S.  If you all can look into changing the way shipping is added to new orders at first click, I think you will do your patrons a service.

Hmm - okay, that shouldn't be happening - and certainly didn't happen when I placed test orders through the system. I was able to quite easily select the shipping option I wanted and it was not the most expensive. We will look into this.

Edited by lawrence.whitaker
  • Like 1

So, quick update.

The shipping system estimates the 'best way' shipping to the destination address, trying to balance speed and price. I live in Canada, and the estimated shipping automatically applied on my test order (placed just now) for Mythras was $24.50. This is by no means that most expensive (see picture). What I'm guessing is the system is making encoded assumptions (we've certainly not set them) that customers within the US, because that's where we distribute from, want the fastest way. So that is what it bases its estimate on, but then allows you to choose an alternative. As you can see, for Canada, it had actually selected the cheapest option as the default.

I'm not sure what can be done about this, but we'll try see if there's a setting that allows for default overrides to the cheapest option - although that is not always the best option, if you want to ensure you order arrives without risk of damage.

Shipping.tiff

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

So, quick update.

The shipping system estimates the 'best way' shipping to the destination address, trying to balance speed and price. I live in Canada, and the estimated shipping automatically applied on my test order (placed just now) for Mythras was $24.50. This is by no means that most expensive (see picture). What I'm guessing is the system is making encoded assumptions (we've certainly not set them) that customers within the US, because that's where we distribute from, want the fastest way. So that is what it bases its estimate on, but then allows you to choose an alternative. As you can see, for Canada, it had actually selected the cheapest option as the default.

I'm not sure what can be done about this, but we'll try see if there's a setting that allows for default overrides to the cheapest option - although that is not always the best option, if you want to ensure you order arrives without risk of damage.

Shipping.tiff

And I think this answers my question about Canadian shipping!  I'll have to stick to PDF's and look out for deals out of the UK or maybe Japan. Weird, but I can often get great S&H rates from those countries to Canada and better exchange rates too. :D

On 9/9/2016 at 2:29 PM, lawrence.whitaker said:

I hear you. We're working on a Canadian fulfilment centre to get round such problems.

Sweet to hear Loz. Just a note, the UK based Book Depository is offering the books, some on pre-order, and the exchange rate is better than the U.S. and they offer FREE International shipping. Of course if I can get them straight from Design Mechanism with Canadian fulfillment, that's even better.

--michael

Sweet to hear Loz. Just a note, the UK based Book Depository is offering the books, some on pre-order, and the exchange rate is better than the U.S. and they offer FREE International shipping. Of course if I can get them straight from Design Mechanism with Canadian fulfillment, that's even better.

Yep, there are some outlets that can offer bigger discounts than we can, like Book Depository and Amazon. This was part of the strategy of partnering with a company like Aeon; they have some superb connections with large book distributors. You should always shop around choose the supplier who meets your needs best. We might not get the same profit per book, but if our stuff is available through companies like these, we sell more books.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...