Quick Question

I don't have Elric! but I do have Stormbringer 5.  From everything I have read the two are nearly identical with Elric being slightly better laid out and Stormbringer 5 having some minor tweaks. I think either one but not both is the right answer.

• Like 2

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

1 hour ago, 1970 said:

If I have Elric!, is it worth it to get Stormbringer 5?

Actually, no if you are not a Stormbringer completist like me. The differences are very minor:

- It's called Stormbringer (+)

- Layout is ugly (-)

- Some good interior art from the Italian edition of Stormbringer (+)

- Adds the fly skill (useful for Mhyrrhin) (little +)

- Melnibonean characters slightly nerfed (a minus in my book)

- You can play Half-Melniboneans (+)

-You can play Melnibonean slaves (+)

- Reprints not-so useful fluff from Stormbringer 4 supplements on churches of the YK, which was already in Dragon Lords of M. (=)

- D&D-ism remain in the material pasted from Dragon Lords of M. (-)

- Book is dedicated to the memory of Giovanni Ingellis pioneer of the rpg hobby in Italy and Chaosium's friend (cool + if you are Italian!)

Edited by smiorgan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Only just noted this thread to be honest, but.....I have both Elric! and Stormbringer 5. The rules are fundamentally the same but Stormbringer 5 is much better than Elric! in terms of layout, mainly because the font size is bigger and it's easier to read. I also, for one, much prefer the 'Stormbringer' title and love the cover art. 

Edited by TrippyHippy

I agree that Stormbringer is a much cooler name than Elric!, and I agree that Elric!'s cover isn't the best (I think SB3 is my favorite), but I think that Elric!'s layout is approachable, and the font size doesn't bother me so much.  The new races are pretty cool, but I think I agree with Simlasa that the prices being asked for are pretty outrageous.  I'm not as much of a completist as I used to be, so I think I can safely let SB5 pass.

Thanks everyone for your input!

• Like 1