Alternatives to Resistance Table?

TheShadow

Mongoose Runequest. They use two skills, Persistance and Resilience, in place of POW and CON resistance rolls. Otherwise the system is similar, very similar, to BRP. I think other than those, most things are resolved with opposed skill rolls.

Can someone point me in the direction of houserules to avoid the use of the Resistance Table? I know there have a been a few alternatives but I'm drawing a blank right now.

The general approach is to use opposed rolls instead. If you want a strength contest for example then rather than doing it on the resistance table you use an opposed contest of two Effort rolls (STR*5%). Similarly if you want to use POW vs POW you do a contest of POW*5 vs POW*5.

Not sure about the opposed rolls route. Seems kind of strange for a door to make a roll to resist being opened...I think in my set of rules I might just go for a written explanation of the formula rather than the big table. It's pretty simple after all when you get it - to my mind the table is not necessary.

Not sure about the opposed rolls route. Seems kind of strange for a door to make a roll to resist being opened...I think in my set of rules I might just go for a written explanation of the formula rather than the big table. It's pretty simple after all when you get it - to my mind the table is not necessary.

this ist true. I am not sure why chaosium does always display this table in every incarnation of BRP. Maybe its an insider joke for them? It takes away 1/2 page space in the book. Its so easy to calculate the odds on the fly. (5% per point difference - so for what is this table?)

this ist true. I am not sure why chaosium does always display this table in every incarnation of BRP. Maybe its an insider joke for them? It takes away 1/2 page space in the book. Its so easy to calculate the odds on the fly. (5% per point difference - so for what is this table?)

There is always someone who hates maths. :)

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

There is always someone who hates maths. :)

As the person who created it for RQ decades ago, I can tell you that it was created because several of the play-testers had trouble doing math on the fly from Steve's original formula of 50% + 5% of the difference. I did nothing more than chart it up in pencil on some large square graph paper that I used in the Navy for charting. It was cut & pasted into the playtest rules - I believe I still have my copy of them from 30+ years ago. So it is merely a convenience tool. I like it for being vs inanimate object or force but use the Stat vs Stat on a D20 or Stat*5 vs Stat*5 on a D100 when two sentient beings are involved and actively competing.

Skaal,

Sven

Skaal,

Sven Lugar (48/420)

North Sea Raiding & Trading Company

--- An Equal Opportunity Despoiler

As the person who created it for RQ decades ago, I can tell you that it was created because several of the play-testers had trouble doing math on the fly from Steve's original formula of 50% + 5% of the difference. I did nothing more than chart it up in pencil on some large square graph paper that I used in the Navy for charting. It was cut & pasted into the playtest rules - I believe I still have my copy of them from 30+ years ago. So it is merely a convenience tool. I like it for being vs inanimate object or force but use the Stat vs Stat on a D20 or Stat*5 vs Stat*5 on a D100 when two sentient beings are involved and actively competing.

Skaal,

Sven

Well, nobody questions about the necessity of the resistance systems. Its an amazing useful and elegant BRP tool. I just dont get that in a world were 90% of all rpger are D&D nerds which seem to have no problem with dozens of math heavy tables and myriards of senseless rules its necessary to have a 1/2p table for a simple 5% per point formula. I mean even a 10y old could calculate this on the fly. In 20y of playing I know nobody who ever consulted the table when using the resistance mechanics. So my conclusio is that its wasted book space. But maybe I and my friends are math genius :)

If you did not notice, there is a table for specials, criticals and fumbles, too :)

Seriously, if I caugth my daughter ever asking for a calculator or a table for doing the maths in a RPG (it will not take long before she gets interested in the matter) I would bash her on the head and send her studying her maths again.

But if someone has little fun doing calculatios, there is no reason to not waste a sheet with some tables. The resistance table alone will not kill a tree.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

If you did not notice, there is a table for specials, criticals and fumbles, too :)

Seriously, if I caugth my daughter ever asking for a calculator or a table for doing the maths in a RPG (it will not take long before she gets interested in the matter) I would bash her on the head and send her studying her maths again.

But if someone has little fun doing calculatios, there is no reason to not waste a sheet with some tables. The resistance table alone will not kill a tree.

Really a table for specials? wow I didnt know this. In which book?