Fantasy Races

Jarulf

If you're looking for some rich and indepth races and cultures that are non-standard fantasy (i.e. dwarves, elves, orcs, etc.), then check out the Talislanta RPG in any of its editions/incarnations. Their original marketing slogan was "No Elves!" Talislanta *is* the original d20 system, and could be easily converted into BRP.

I always thought talislanta is OMNI? Well at least OMNI is also with d20 (a good system btw which can be played also very gritty)

In the new edition there they wrote "still no elves" on the backcover.:)

I always thought talislanta is OMNI? Well at least OMNI is also with d20 (a good system btw which can be played also very gritty)

In the new edition there they wrote "still no elves" on the backcover.:)

OMNI was derived from the Talislanta RPG. Talislanta has been around since 1987. OMNI took the Talislanta rules and made them generic and universal. Talislanta is now in its 5th edition.

BRP Ze 32/420

OMNI was derived from the Talislanta RPG. Talislanta has been around since 1987. OMNI took the Talislanta rules and made them generic and universal. Talislanta is now in its 5th edition.

Yes. I know, maybe I didnt understand what you meant, but you mentioned that talislanta is the original d20. There is not much what OMNI has in common with d20 except they use the same dice. I dont remember an early d20 edition of talislanta back in the 80-90ties, just a "younger" one. (in the last few years it seems hip to translate every setting to d20 :()

hehe, no problem. Let me try and clarify my statement then. What I meant was that before D&D 3.0 was created, the Talislanta RPG already had pioneered the concept of using a single d20 for all skill/task resolution. One of the authors of 3.0 D&D also worked on the Talislanta product line prior to working for WotC (Wizards of the Coast). At least to me, it can be clearly seen where the inspiration for D&D 3.0 concept of a single d20 derived.

BRP Ze 32/420

If you're looking for some rich and indepth races and cultures that are non-standard fantasy (i.e. dwarves, elves, orcs, etc.), then check out the Talislanta RPG in any of its editions/incarnations. Their original marketing slogan was "No Elves!" Talislanta *is* the original d20 system, and could be easily converted into BRP.

Personally, for a game that supposedly had no elves, Talislanta always seemed to have a number of races that added up to variations on elves. That doesn't mean it didn't have some genuinely original races too, but it struck me as "methinks the designers do protest to much."

hehe, no problem. Let me try and clarify my statement then. What I meant was that before D&D 3.0 was created, the Talislanta RPG already had pioneered the concept of using a single d20 for all skill/task resolution. One of the authors of 3.0 D&D also worked on the Talislanta product line prior to working for WotC (Wizards of the Coast). At least to me, it can be clearly seen where the inspiration for D&D 3.0 concept of a single d20 derived.

Maybe, but maybe they played Midgard. A game which had the concept of 1d20 for skill, combat and other task rolls even long before D&D 3.0. or Talislanta. It appeared `81 and was the first german roleplaying game. Its basic system is much closer to D&D 3.0 task resolution than OMNI. BTW Midgard was in its earlier adaptions a very good fantasy game. But from the 3rd edition to the contemporary one, it suffered more and more from the "complexity syndrome". It plays like a mix of D&D and Runequest (no joke :))