Rurik

Do you like hit locations?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like hit locations?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally love hit locations, especially because I can give armor treasure in pieces and the adventurers look like what they are, scavengers that will use anything they can find to their advantage.

For my main campaign, I'm going to ask the players to vote on options. I suspect that they are going to vote AGAINST hit locations as being too time consuming.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I picked the last option because I like both...and I really am a gorp (with lots of extra chaos features)! >:->

I think a hard scifi would greatly benefit from hit locations. The old Ringworld supplement had them and it works very well since any of the scifi weapons in it do damage beyond a humans max hit points. The only way to survive those is to take the hit in a limb (that's immediately missing, but can be regrown of course...or replaced in a different take on scifi), but any hit to abs, chest, or head are instant death. Without hit locations, any hit would be instant death.

Sorry, but your poll is poo.

I like Hit Locations - but I'm not using them because they entail time-consuming extra admin. Except, I am using them on my variant Major Wounds table, of course. I also am not a Gorp. How should I vote?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

You asked two questions. I answered yes to the poll because IDO like hit locations and always have since I first played RQ. In answer to the question in the thread title, yes I do plan on using them, but not in every BRP game I run, only those where they seem appropriate.

Cheers,

Nick

OK, compared with CoC, I guess it's a Yes.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I also voted that I like Hit Locations, but do not plan to use them in BRP.

I only use Hit Locations in a humanoid-centric game. When I do run those games, I prefer using HarnMaster's Hit Location tables which covers everything from left or right cheek, to left or right hand.

For my upcoming high-fantasy game, I'll probably be using general hit points, major wounds, and suits of armor with random damage protection. I'll supplement this with a combat matrix that measures up to 4 degrees of success and ala carte results.

At least that's the tentative idea. I really do like Hit Locations.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

You asked two questions. I answered yes to the poll because IDO like hit locations and always have since I first played RQ. In answer to the question in the thread title, yes I do plan on using them, but not in every BRP game I run, only those where they seem appropriate.

Cheers,

Nick

Same for me.

For example, for me, when I play CoC (quite rare), I find them a waste of time.

On the opposite, for heroic fantasy (RQ) or hard science sci-fi, they seem to me most appropriate.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I'm a bit surprised it's 2 to 1 FOR hit locations. Not that every player of the game is here, but still.

I don't use them for a few reasons, one of the primary being the extra paperwork involved. In a combative centred game, maybe, but not my type of story telling.

Also, the default determination seems random. Just roll some dice, it's where you happen to hit. Like a fighter has no real control. Then if you want to take fighter choice/aiming into consideration, it's yet another level of modifiers, debates, blah blah blah. All this so a character can lose an arm against their will. Pass.

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

http://web.mac.com/boghouse/iWeb

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

~You've Got Mail (1998 film)

I'm a bit surprised it's 2 to 1 FOR hit locations. Not that every player of the game is here, but still.

I think the poll is poorly worded. Even those of us who usually don't use Hit Locs, but only for Major Wounds and such, are having to vote FOR.

Also, the default determination seems random. Just roll some dice, it's where you happen to hit. Like a fighter has no real control. Then if you want to take fighter choice/aiming into consideration, it's yet another level of modifiers, debates, blah blah blah. All this so a character can lose an arm against their will. Pass.

No need for debate - there is a spot rule for aiming: make a difficult (half-chance) attack roll, and hit the location you choose.

Yup - using Hit Locs as written. However, I'm writing all my scenarios on the assumption that people may or may not want to use them: also I'll not use them in certain circumstances (massed melees against thousands of cannon fodder, etc) - I like the fact I can chop and change the rules I use as needed.

So, voted Yes.

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

In another game I own, the player says which location the character is aiming for. After the player rolls his attack die, he then rolls for the hit location twice (more if the rolls are on the same spot). The roll that comes nearest or on the location is the one that's kept. I plan on using this rule.

In another game I own, the player says which location the character is aiming for. After the player rolls his attack die, he then rolls for the hit location twice (more if the rolls are on the same spot). The roll that comes nearest or on the location is the one that's kept. I plan on using this rule.

Greg Porter's original gameline (before he shifted everything to CORPS and EABA) had location scatter based on how much you missed by; of course it was more finicky on what constituted a location so a larger percentage wouldn't scatter off the body if you aimed for the center of the chest, for example.

Greg Porter's original gameline (before he shifted everything to CORPS and EABA) had location scatter based on how much you missed by; of course it was more finicky on what constituted a location so a larger percentage wouldn't scatter off the body if you aimed for the center of the chest, for example.

That's the guy who made Timelords, right? Supposedly, his damage and hit location system was/is the most realistic ever in gaming. Played one session of Timelords, once. Geeze that's a complex system.:eek:

Hi All:

I plan on using hit-locations, but not for hit-points, but rather for armor values so my players can "cobble" together harnesses in much the same manner as ancient soldiers primarily did: from the battle field by scavenging or one piece at a time as they could afford it.

Cheers,

Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08