M-SPACE RPG is launching today

clarence

1 minute ago, clarence said:

What was the reason for the move?

I realized that I did not have the necessary time to design a suitable background universe with an interesting history, near future timeline and events for my setting, so I went looking for a well developed universe supported by some roleplaying material and finally ended up with Star Wars.

• Like 1

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

12 minutes ago, clarence said:

Will you make any conversions from another system or do you just use the story elements?

I mainly use the story elements. While there are no true conversions, I use the material from the three Star Wars roleplaying games (West End Games, Wizards of the Coast and Fantasy Flight Games) as inspiration for my own designs of stuff like vehicles or starships.

• Like 1

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

While Star Trek would be at about TL15 or possibly higher (they can convert energy into matter, including foodstuffs, have working teleporters that have a range that includes orbit, etc.), M-Space strikes me as something that could still work with that setting. You would need to come up with careers that  match -- Starfleet Officer is hardly generic, because the same organization combines military, scientific, and diplomatic functions.

It would also be interesting to do a universe like Blakes 7, where you are probably-doomed rebels against an evil galactic government that will stop at nothing to maintain its grip on absolute power. If you can find something of a higher TL than the campaign and figure out how it works, you might survive for a while and possibly make some real headway.

• Like 1

Yes, Star Trek can probably be emulated with M-SPACE. As you mention, a few new careers would be necessary as well as equipment for TL15 (?). Considering all the fan-made stuff for Star Trek, someone might already have written something for earlier versions of BRP, though I can't remember seeing any. 

@rust: Looking forward to hearing how your campaign develops. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a spreadsheet out there in the wild designed specifically for character creation in M-Space? I'm trying to figure out a particular format that would be nice for both character and ship stat blocks and I am also hoping to streamline the math a bit (even though the characters I'm creating for the book are veteran, experienced characters built on significantly more skill points than starting PCs).

Not that I know of. I'm not a spreadsheet person, but I've been tinkering with a PDF form to add some calculating intelligence to character sheets. My Java Script knowledge is non-existant though, so I dropped that.

Colin Brett did some programming on a (generic BRP?) PC generator, but I'm not sure how it went. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

I've put together spreadsheets for generating stats for various d100 systems, mainly to help with generating NPCs, so an M-Space one should be fairly straightforward.

The trickiest bit is how to allocate points when there is a choice, that makes the spreadsheet quite unwieldy. Everything else is a mixture of VLOOKUP and lots of tables and sheets.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 22/02/2017 at 9:22 AM, clarence said:

Colin Brett did some programming on a (generic BRP?) PC generator, but I'm not sure how it went. 

@Questbird and I made some progress but real life has gotten in the way. We're trying to get "back in the saddle" but other commitments keep getting in the way.

Colin 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarence said:

Yes, life has a way of doing that : )

@soltakss Would you be willing to share the file?

They are not ready for general use, more as aids for me to generate NPCs quickly, but have a look at http://www.soltakss.com/spreadsheets/

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

so for those that have run this and or those that are Mythras savvy, has anyone came up with a way to track ammo for weapons in M-Space without actually tracking them. for example like a resource/ degradation type of roll where each weapon has a safe number of shots and than after that number a degradation roll is rolled if successful you still have ammo. next time you roll you add another number to that degradation roll making it harder to see if you still have ammo. 

i was thinking like for a 9mm glock. say it has a degradation chance of 10% starting out. so after 10 shots you add 10 percent to the 10 percent for 20%. as long as you get over it you still have ammo. if you rolled 15% you would be out of ammo and have to reload. i dont know a lot about the mythras system but it didnt look really geared towards modern/futuristic settings but it does do M-Space well. so i was looking for an easy way to do ammo and consumables. any thoughts or suggestions?

1 hour ago, heathd666 said:

so for those that have run this and or those that are Mythras savvy, has anyone came up with a way to track ammo for weapons in M-Space without actually tracking them. for example like a resource/ degradation type of roll where each weapon has a safe number of shots and than after that number a degradation roll is rolled if successful you still have ammo. next time you roll you add another number to that degradation roll making it harder to see if you still have ammo. 

i was thinking like for a 9mm glock. say it has a degradation chance of 10% starting out. so after 10 shots you add 10 percent to the 10 percent for 20%. as long as you get over it you still have ammo. if you rolled 15% you would be out of ammo and have to reload. i dont know a lot about the mythras system but it didnt look really geared towards modern/futuristic settings but it does do M-Space well. so i was looking for an easy way to do ammo and consumables. any thoughts or suggestions?

I imagine this is the sort of campaign where punks rarely have cause to feel lucky. Is that ammo in the clip or ammo on your person?

The system you're describing would work for weapons with batteries or large clips )say 30-50 rounds). In theory, any competent pistoled will always know how many bullets he has -- but combat is stressful, people will squeeze off three or four shots when one will suffice, etc. It's worse on "full auto", where you can burn through an entire clip in a matter of seconds.

Perhaps every so often (not necessarily at some arbitrary number of shots, but perhaps based on time) PCs can do a check against whatever Characteristic is most relevant to determine whether their ammo status. A failed roll means you must reload or recharge the weapon. On a fumble, you have nothing to reload it with (or you could simply state that PCs don't usually carry extra ammunition around unless they are in a situation where they know in advance they'll be engaged in prolonged combat -- in that case, once you've exhausted your clip or battery that's a lovely club or blackjack you've got there).

• Like 1

The unspoken idea of M-SPACE RAW is that ammo/energy is too complicated to keep track of. And blasters in space opera never seem to run out anyway, unless for storytelling reasons : )

But the easiest way I have tried so far is to have an abstract resource percentage called Ammo that is lowered after every fight. Starting at 100%, it is lowered by x % after a fight (x can be everything from 10 to 50, depending on the setting/campaign).

Roll below Ammo at the end of a fight (after lowering the value first) to have some left. A failed roll means no ammo and the character must get a new clip before getting into another battle. 

The GM can decide how much to raise Ammo depending on how much is found/bought: borrowing from a team member +10% (lowering the team member's Ammo value by -10%) or going back to the starship (raises Ammo to 100%) for example. 

Example: At the end of a fight, A rolls above her Ammo 40% and she's out of ammo. Her companion B has 80% and rolls a success. Borrowing from B, A now has Ammo 50%, while B's value is lowered to 70%. Both will automatically have enough ammo for the next battle, but lowers them and rolls as normal at the end of it.  

(Optionally, if a player clearly states that she's trying to not waste "bullets" (and acts like it, with a more tactical or sniping approach), the GM can rule the percentage loss after the fight to be lower than normal).

What I like about this system, is that it can easily be changed to a more general Energy value. All sorts of equipment can depend on this percentage, not just weapons: powertools, welding equipment, high-energy comms or special sensors. 

• Like 1