Mythras, why should i use it

heathd666

so basically i am trying to decide whether or not to purchase mythras or not. last week i purchased M-Space and realized it is based of the Mythras engine, which is actually Runequest 6. so i tried to find some reviews about Mythras and came up with squat. i know its a d100 system how different is it from BRP though. on the google+ page i had asked about M-Space and whether it used the skill progression from BRPs BGB or if it was experience driven etc. Mythras uses GM given skill raises from my understanding so if the DM thinks i used my lelee weapon skill and athletics skill he would let me attempt to raise them. how does magic work. the splat says it has 5 styles of magic. is magic used as skills? or powers or? also how quick is combat? i play in a very large group and have found that very few systems dont get bogged down with combat when you have 6 or 7 players. is combat very quick and deadly? or is it more clunky where you spend some time determining hit locations subtraction armor for that area etc.

im really interested in it but i dont know if i can get my players interested in it. at gen con this year i played in a gentlemans game of classic fantasy using runequest 6. he was very good as i didnt really pay much attention to the system mechanics because the story drew me into it and kept me captivated on the story he was telling. i had only heard of classic fantasy using the BGB as i bought it but havnt been able to play it yet. what are the differences between it (Mythras) and the BGB. from what i understand Mythras is mainly a fantasy/high fantasy game so no modern or futuristic unless you buy supplements like i did with M-Space. sorry if i am rambling just super curious about the mythras game and whether it will be a fit for my group.

As you noted yourself, Mythras is rebranded RuneQuest 6. Google for RuneQuest 6 reviews - you should find plenty.

As to whether you should use it or not - It's the best system I have played with or GM'd, and this opinion is shared by my group. It has a flow to it I haven't experienced with other systems. The rules are slick and smooth, yet detailed.

Improvement in Mythras isn't quite as GM-driven as you have understood. GM simply gives out Experience Rolls - the player is free to assign them as he wishes.

There are indeed 5 magic types. Folk magic is a lowpowered magic, that (obviously depending on the setting) could be available to anybody. Sorcery is flexible, but can eat your mana quickly. Theistic magic gets its power from the gods and is some of the most powerful magic in the game. Animism deals with spirits. It can be a bit complex to grasp initially, but I really like the approach Mythras has taken. In Mythras "spirits" isn't just another word for "spells", instead they are closer to NPC's you need to negotiate with (although it can be abstracted to a couple of skill rolls and mana points if you so wish). And then there's mysticism, which can be used to create wushu-type heroes for example. Apart from Folk magic, which has one skill, all the magic systems have to two skills, which define the power of the effects as well as your chance to succeed, and a list of powers (spells).

On combat - my group loves it. It's cinematic, fast paced and dangerous. In theory anybody can die with one (un)lucky hit, although PC's have Luck points they can use to reduce wound levels. That again I have understood, that for new groups combat can feel a bit slow in the beginning. There are some mitigations to it (like limiting the Special Effect options for new players), but with 6 or 7 players, there will be some downtime.

And are you aware of the Mythras Imperative (free pared down version of the rules)? If in doubt, read it through and maybe run a couple of mock combats before making any decisions. (For combats, and designing enemies/NPC's, there's a little tool you might find useful: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/).

Edited by skoll
  • Like 1

Quite a few questions there. I'll try to answer a couple of them. Mythras is skill bace progression. The GM typically hands held two or three experience points per session the players can decide where to assign those. Magic is skill-based typically two skills per magic type are needed.

I run with groups of 5 to 6 players. And combat is fast decisive cinematic and exciting. I now typically The first couple sessions can sow down till people get used to using There combat effects.

During Gen Con  I ran four games of Classic Fantasy  with 6 player. Where they had to negotiate traps and for groups of creatures. All four groups finished the adventure took about four hours. So for me even with new players they got  through combat pretty fast. 

Edited by Belgath
Spelling mistake.

I'll also I have to say there supplements or superbly written.

Thaks skoll was hoping One of the better posters would help this Potential Player out. My written English it's so bad sometimes I think posters need a universal translator.

Edited by Belgath

3 hours ago, heathd666 said:

Mythras, why should i use it

Because it is awesome

is magic used as skills? or powers or? also how quick is combat? i play in a very large group and have found that very few systems dont get bogged down with combat when you have 6 or 7 players. is combat very quick and deadly? or is it more clunky where you spend some time determining hit locations subtraction armor for that area etc.

Magic is both skills and powers. Less flashbang than D&D, but definitely fun to play. Plus it comes in four/five different flavours.

With six/seven players you could experience some lag in combat. I have played with that number of players and it is ok, but there are plenty of actions to do per round with so many people and so many opponents. The best advice is as belgath said: download imperative and stage an arena, without magic, just combat. Then you will know if you like the game.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

so after downloading Mythras Imperative and browsing through it i noticed a couple of things. first, there is no magic to compare with in the quickstart. second they speak about sci fi games with things like pilot starcraft ect. does Mythras support sci fi settings than I thought it was mainly a book for fantasy games.

On 10/8/2016 at 6:34 AM, heathd666 said:

so basically i am trying to decide whether or not to purchase mythras or not. last week i purchased M-Space and realized it is based of the Mythras engine. i know its a d100 system how different is it from BRP though.

also how quick is combat? i play in a very large group and have found that very few systems dont get bogged down with combat when you have 6 or 7 players. is combat very quick and deadly? or is it more clunky where you spend some time determining hit locations subtraction armor for that area etc.

im really interested in it but i dont know if i can get my players interested in it. at gen con this year i played in a gentlemans game of classic fantasy using runequest 6. he was very good as i didnt really pay much attention to the system mechanics because the story drew me into it and kept me captivated on the story he was telling. i had only heard of classic fantasy using the BGB as i bought it but havnt been able to play it yet. what are the differences between it (Mythras) and the BGB.

from what i understand Mythras is mainly a fantasy/high fantasy game so no modern or futuristic unless you buy supplements like i did with M-Space. sorry if i am rambling just super curious about the mythras game and whether it will be a fit for my group.

RQ6/Mythras is a very setting-neutral mechanic.  The core rules include plenty of magic & not a lot of high-tech, so you could say that it's "a high fantasy game" but it doesn't actually have a default "setting" in the core book.  It runs (e.g.) steampunk / modern / sci-fi /etc just as readily; one of the publisher's settings is "Luther Arkwright" which is an "all the above, and more!"  dimension-hopping "save reality from dark forces bent on corrupting the multi-verse" setting:  this adventure will be like a noir-detective story, that one will be Dinotopia, the next will be like Fafhrd&GreyMouser, and then you'll be defending your HQ from a direct attack, etc...

FYI / FWIW -- The "Classic Fantasy" supplement has just recently been re-worked and re-published in a Mythras-specific version.  I think it speaks well to both the GM's skill with presenting a gripping story, but also the RQ6/Mythras game-mechanics' ability to just get out of the way and not-be-noticed!

As already noted, "Mythras Imperative" can be had for free in PDF (and pretty cheap in deadtree).  It's very brief, and may be worth your while.  I believe the older "RuneQuest Essentials" PDF (for RQ6 before the Mythras rebranding) is also still floating around, and also free in PDF (not sure if it was ever sold by DM in hardcopy); it's more substantive, 200ish pages IIRC.

RQ6 / Mythras reviews:

But in the end, really:  "reviews" are just "opinions," and all the good reviews in the world won't make YOUR bad opinion match the reviewers' (nor can bad reviews force you to dislike something you like!).  So, grain-of-salt those above, and the many other reviews online!

===

From my experience of combat with newbies-to-the-system:  the "Special Effects" rules are a big part of what gives the system its difference from bog-standard BRP.  They also slow things down A LOT when newbies first hit the system.  It's one of the main spots where the crunchy goodness (that lovers of RQ6/Mythras so love) happens.  I haven't done a lot with newbies-to-RQ6/Mythras, so I don't have an in-hand solution to offer as "this usually works."  Look closely at this element, and think about YOUR group, and what\s likely to work for them.

Reports of experienced players say that this issue goes away with familiarity.

Design Mechanism also puts out a deck of "Combat Effects Cards" which reportedly are nice on this front; you may wish to get those (or at least look them over).  There's a sample here:  http://watermark.drivethrurpg.com/pdf_previews/185289-sample.pdf   From that sample, I notice DM acknowledges the "newbies get overwhelmed" issue, and suggests the GM pre-select a "hand of cards" customized to each character.

This post may have interest for you, too:  https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/combat-flow-for-runequest-6/   

Hope some of this helps...

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

There's also my own Mythras-based game M-SPACE if you need more sci-fi details. (And regarding the rules, I'm still quite impressed with not having to change the core rules of Mythras Imperative to make them work in a sci-fi book). 

• Like 2

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

I am a fan of RQ6/Mythras and I am planning a campaign at the flgs, yet it is very generic and not particularly attention-grabbing, although it is easy to tack on any elements and make the game what you want with decades of multi-genre source material out there from other BRP games. I will probably run Symbaroum (a BRP derivative) next because of the evocative art and gloomy setting. Then there is THE WAIT for Trudvang Chronicles in English (another BRP based game). Best. Art. Ever.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

I have been playing RQ6 for about 2 years now, getting my high school students (college prep school) to learn it and play it, and run it.  I now have Mythras, and sharing it with them also for about a month so far.  They love the fact that it doesn't box you in like D&D and costs a lot less to get started.  Some of them have taken on M-Space as well.  Mythras is a great game for me and the groups I end up with (which usually are students with no experience with table top rpgs.)  I know it's a complicated game, but once they learn it, all other games seem like a walk in the park.  Also, there is a flexibility there they also like, which is one of it's strengths.  I was surprised when they came up with a Mythras version of Thunder Cats!  They started that yesterday, character creation was fairly intense, hehe.

• Like 3

Having just opted for buying into the physical copy of Mythras (alongside my previous copy of RQ6!), I think the main thing that appeals to me is the sense that the people who make it have a real commitment towards providing a high class product. You can appreciate the quality when you buy it - not with the big budget full colour flash you might get from licensed games, but from a true sense of craft and professional know how. The level of research and authenticity of each genre book so far is excellent, and it is consistent with what I know about Pete and Loz's writings from other publishers. So that has always been the main appeal to me. 

In terms of the game itself, the main thing that stands out is the combat system which extrapolates on ideas from previous incarnations of RQ/BRP and really creates a dynamic, occasionally cinematic impact. The special manoeuvres can take some time to master, although the new card deck may help, and it really does allow individuals to develop their own style of combat. The magic systems (5 in the core) are anthropologically based, and pretty comprehensive in terms of representing a multitude of beliefs and historical sources. Moreover, the appeal over BRP was that it was a fully integrated system, rather than a collection of related systems that gave you 'options' in play. As such it is quicker to reference rules and implement in real gameplay.  And the whole thing comes in a single core book package, with a jaw dropingly beautiful cover, with plenty of interesting titles to come.   

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 5

I have a hardcover RQ6 and I bought Mythras Imperative. I figure that I can run Mythras with those, so would there be any other benefit to having the full Mythras book, other than support for DM? 

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

59 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

I have a hardcover RQ6 and I bought Mythras Imperative. I figure that I can run Mythras with those, so would there be any other benefit to having the full Mythras book, other than support for DM? 

I have the RQ6 Hardcover in a slipcase. It's nice, but not necessarily the thing you want to cart around to a game table in a club. The thinner, more practical Mythras book is useful accordingly - and there are a few rules updates too. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 10:47 AM, clarence said:

There's also my own Mythras-based game M-SPACE if you need more sci-fi details. (And regarding the rules, I'm still quite impressed with not having to change the core rules of Mythras Imperative to make them work in a sci-fi book). 

<heh> Yeah... the OP had bought M-Space and then realized it was a Mythras-family game, and was asking for some extra guidance...  ;)

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

ive browsed through a few of the reviews its interesting. next question is how does magic work. basically from the reviews i get there are 5 different distinction or magic bsically self modification (ie you move faster or are stronger), second sorcery (classic magic what everyone is used to in fantasy), divine (basically your religion grats you spells) i dont remember the other two something like folk magic. anyway im wanting to know mechanically how they work and do the 5 different types of magic work differently. for example does a spell act like a skill (ie magic missile 37% chance to succeed), or do you choose a group of spells and use power points to activate it and it succeeds but than the target has a chance to resist (ie castles and crusades and DnD). thanks in advance for your time.

also i just recieved M-Space in the mail and am in the process of reading it between helping with grand kids, going to work, and helping with house chores with the wife :)

Magic is skill-based as everything else, so you could have an effective 37% chance to cast your magic missile. The five different types of magic are Folk Magic - cantrips and folk charms. Low-powered and often utalitarian in nature, but depending on circumstances can be very useful. Mysticism - spells and rituals of self-improvement and empowerment. Mysticism can be used to create Kung-Fu monks, seers and certain individuals in a galaxy far fra away.. Sorcery - the skill of bending reality to your will. Theism - powerful spells granted to you from a divine (or infernal) power. And lastly Animism - interacting with the world of spirits, bargaining for knowledge and power, and binding spirits to tap their abilities.  

With the exeption of Folk Magic, all the magic arts are reliant on two skills - one skill representing your understanding of the discipline and how to effectively cast your magic, and one for how much oomph you can put into a spell. Each magical discipline will have its own selection of available spells (basicly a Magic Style), these spells are all cast with the same skill, and learned by expending XP-checks (and probably some time studying). If you want to learn other spells, you have to learn a new discipline. Casting a powerful spell is often an extended action over several turns - the more oomph the longer it takes to cast.

12 minutes ago, heathd666 said:

so each spell is not a seperate skill but they reli on a "casting " skill and than a second skill determins the oomph like instead of the magic missile doing a base of 1d2 damage the second one determines 1d2 damage to 1d12?

Not quite, but close.

Let's take sorcery. This is governed by two skills: Invocation, which is your % to successful invoke and cast any of the spells you know or have in your grimoire; and Shaping, which is your ability to enhance and develop the spell - so it can go further, last longer, target more people simultaneously, or punch through magical defences. You roll to successfully cast the spell, but your Shaping % isn't a dice roll at all, but lets you know how much the basic spell can be shaped by. The more shaping you do, the more magic points the spell costs. The damage of a spell, such as Wrack, depends on your Invocation skill, while your shaping lets you apply the spell effects to more people, over a longer range or wider area, and keep doing it for a longer time.

Most magical effects like this are very powerful indeed, especially when used creatively. There simply isn't space here to explain all these nuances, but hopefully this helps explains the main points.

• Like 4

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Yes and no. To take an example; a Sorcerer would rely on his Invoke-skill to effectively cast his magic missile, and rely on the same skill to determine the damage inflicted. But without relying on his Shaping-skill, he wouldn't be able to cast it as a missile at all - he would have to add range. He could add more targets, combine it with a spell zapping the targets' strenght, give it oomph to punch through magical shielding etc. 

With Mysticism, the main casting-skill also determines basic strenght of your spell, while your second skill determines how much magic you can internalize before it stops. There are differences that make the magical disciplines feel different mechanically as well as thematically.

Well, my new copy of Mythras arrived today. It arrived very promptly, in very attentive packaging, and the book quality is excellent (it feels velvety to touch and smells like high quality paper). I had seen the pdf beforehand, but the new font is readable and the new layout makes for a very efficiently concise rule book. The point that it covers pretty much everything you need in one book (rather than 3 as in D&D, say) will be an appeal. 

In terms of the magic systems, I think the main thing to say is that they are not only less flash-bang than D&D, but they actually contribute to an authentic feel in world building design. The categories, in one sense, are loosely similar to D&D Class-based magic (Folk magic - Bards; Animism - Druids; Mysticism - Monks; Theism - Clerics; Sorcery - Wizards/Sorcerers), but they also seem to fit anthropologically to real world cultures. They can take a degree of system mastery to get the best out of some of them - but that, like the combat manoeuvres, is what makes Mythras an interesting game to play. 

I've also put an order in for Mythic Rome and M-Space, and will add to that over time. At this juncture, I'm putting in a synopsis for a Luther Arkwright game to our game club, with an intent to make use of several eras of play for a multi-dimensional campaign. So let's see how that goes....

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 2

well like trippy hippy i took the plunge and bought the mythras book. amazon about 30 dollars new free shipping guess i will see in a couple days how it goes. im really enjoying M-Space just took some time to get used to the idea of nothing is set in stone with it just like the BGB you pick and choose what you want to use. from looking over mythras imperative the differences from BRP and Mythras are basically BRP you used a chart/table to cross reference your rolls str vs siz etc. with Mythras you use difficulties. kind of excited about waiting for the book.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

@Belgath when you said you ran classic fantasy games at gen con last year, were you the one running the scenario about the rotted tree roots and the past (or future i dont remember) called "The broken tree inn" ? sorry for reviving this old thread it just caught my eye about the games at gen con and i was probably one of the guys in your groups there.

Edited by heathd666